IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Seen this coming?
We should have expected this? We should have somehow thought it our due? I'm sorry you don't understand my point...which is simply...to use these lists to claim that we should have expected this act...is to turn at least a portion of the blame on ourselves. No matter how you come back afterwards and say otherwise. How can you say "we should have seen this coming" without a tacit "we did something to >deserve< it".

How many soldiers killed on the Cole. How many civilians killed in the Embassies in Africa. How many marines killed in Saudi and Beirut.

We've seen it. And up until now we have reacted, in their eyes, with >weakness<.

And the current direction of amassing large amount of troops in the Mid-East, that's exactly the kind of actions "expected" from the US.

I completely disagree.

Osama Bin Laden declared his jihad because there are US troops on Saudi soil. It has fuck all to do with all of those other things that you've listed. He pushed once...got limited response, pushed again and got a couple of cruise missiles...he pushed again and now he will pay dearly (hopefully). The Taliban would not accept ANY proof...and if you think they would you are kidding yourself. Many have claimed we put them in power....and again you are kidding yourself. Bin Laden was expecting us to lob a cruise missile or 2 at a couple of camps. He was not expecting us to turn the free world against him. To freeze his assets. To declare war on the Taliban for supporting him. He was expecting us to react with weakness. I believe he was wrong. I hope I am right.

What are we, the US, to do in this region. If we act...we are being the "big bully imperialist power"...and if we don't we are "evil capitalists that have no compassion for those in need".

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

The only way to solve this now is to grind them to dust....and to force those who assist them (the Taliban, Khadafi, Hussein) to pay dearly for that support.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New It's one thing to understand 'their' motivations,
another to deem those adequate for this orders-of magnitude escalation. Listing some of the grievances of others is not tantamount to inferring that the lists imply, "we had THIS coming".

We've made beaucoup errors, and there's no other country without their own list of ignorant actions too (the French in 'Algeria' - er, over and over - always a bit short of intelligence about who their foes were, each time). Let us not forget the Netherlands - culpable in some of the nearest -genocidal atrocities in Africa, early last century. And the Belgians! - some real cutthroats in their merchant class. Europe looted Africa. India saved somewhat, for having little to loot. But (virtual) slavelabor appears to be the current raw material of interest to the world of the rich: US and Europe.

One difference between us and all others is - our unequalled power of $ and arms, which colors and magnifies the consequences of our errors. We mention 'democracy' a lot and so, much more is expected from us. We are also quite variable in our own grokking of the intricacies of the intrigues we step into:

Picking Ngo Dinh Diem as surrogate in Vietnem, for one. Ignoring the locals' objections then and there, and .. in a pattern across our own neighbors, from the CIA-sponsored assassination of Allende in Chile, through Guatemala, Nicaragua (the US-anointed Freedom Fighters + Ronnie's naive US-flag waving over these thugs) .. and more, just in this hemisphere.
(Cuba gets its own thread: Bautista was Our Kind of guy).

Now we have the Drug Warz: Hey everybody! we need so many of these drugs which we try to Prohibit(!) - *you* have to stop answering our demand!, whatever it does within Your country. Because, we have the power to force you to.

I think it's hardly debatable by now: the extent and details of our causing many others to pay any price, bear any burden... as a consequence of our cynical deals with local despots -- against our very own hallowed principles.

And with the likes of Sam Walton Walmart practically dictating what he will pay the workers in our neighborhood *today* (or threaten to move on to the next near-bankrupt country, already pillaged in previous deals) - we indicate that in every case: massive US bizness profit is a much more compelling criterion than our claimed 'ideals'. (Not that our actions inhibit our sanctimony of ever claiming.. those ideals, as we evade them.)

Still, and for all the unsettled and even ongoing minor atrocities - some due to sheer ineptness rather than just greed:

No, we should not have 'expected' 9/11! (expected as in 'earned'). We should have expected *something* though.. virtually any day IMhO, for all items mentioned on this short list - and especially for the fact of all the periodic warnings that even made it through our happy-talk newsfotainment Corporations.

(As other posts have mentioned since 9/11 - even the idea of using planes in this way is NOT new. In fact I recall that argument being a part of the design of containment structures for nuc. reactors - all along, certainly by the early '60s.)

And yes, I know - for every Murican (or any others') 'atrocity' -- always are there the skilled rationales and rationalizations. Even before the lawyers begin. Locals ignore these - talk is cheap, and they stay dirt poor.

Somehow.. the idea that a Chosen People should control ~ HALF (\ufffd depending on the item) of the world's wealth with <5% of its population: appears to me to be the simplest possible place to begin, if there is anyone around who has trouble imagining..

Why should anyone dislike us, a lot?

Ashton
New Well I guess it just depends...
...on who you listen to and how much truth you attach to their statements.

Bin Laden's beef has always been very simple....there are US troops "in the holy land". The "holy land" in reference is Saudi. He declared a jihad against us because we didn't leave after the Gulf War.

bluke pointed out the accuracy of the list put before us of "questionable" diplomatic decisions over the course of years. And, there is and can be no satisfaction to some...as our actions are questioned...our lack of action would also be questioned. Damned in both directions. Because there is a certain element that can never be satisfied.

And I'm sorry that you, too, (surprisingly) seem to be missing the tacit assumption of complicity that those lists imply. Sure they don't imply the scale of the atrocity...but had it only been 15 soldiers aboard a boat...they probably wouldn't be so quick to back away from that position. Instead its 6500 (and rising) innocent civilians.

I cannot accept even a hint of that complicity.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Yes it seems than bin-L's beef is quite provincial..
And that especially - the nature of what "he says" is his beef - underscores the utter inappropriateness of the acts of 9/11. It was the act of no-longer humans in the throes of ultimate Religious-insanity: My Idea IS Right = supersedes all other persons' ideas and their lives too.

We / No One "deserved" this insanity. To imagine so, is to become a mechanical part of a computer game, a non-human being.

As we have become militarily invincible, so have we become less and less sensitive to the many in the world who simply - do not want to live as Muricans live, embrace their 'values' (farmily or other), subordinate all of life to: mercantile machinations 24/7. In that sense, how could we *not* hear-fron the many many less-powerful, whose lives are daily affected by our powerful worldwide actions and yes - manipulations ?? But in attention-getting manner, not in doomsday scenarios for all who want a more-open society, free as possible from theological zealotry of all the infinite stripes.

And finally it IS about - The Open Society and Its Enemies (Popper and others). I agree with those who ID this atrocity on that scale. Underlying it all is the fact too, of how much easier is destruction of a complex (organism?) than its creation - symbolized by the ~7 years to construct the towers, an hour to doom them - seconds! for their compression into dust + thousands of ordinary human beings. I believe this is the 'scale', order of magnitude of what has been launched.

No existing 'slogans' can capture the opened Pandora's box, or accurately describe the nature of the quality of all decisions that must be made, next and for the foreseeable. 9/11 ended one era. (The one of "luck" from the infinite possible destructive mechanisms?)

Good luck to us all then. And.. restraint. *Nobody* 'knows' how to deal with matters on such a scale as this.

Ashton
     What did you think of the President's speech? -NT - (brettj) - (43)
         At least he identified the enemy... - (gdaustin) - (3)
             Are you suggesting all these countries ... - (brettj) - (2)
                 I certainly hope not! - (gdaustin) - (1)
                     This is what the terrorists hoped for: Jihad - (brettj)
         Pure poetry... - (screamer) - (1)
             Speech writer knew what she was doing and.. - (Ashton)
         One concern - (Fearless Freep) - (36)
             What about Israel's terrorist attacks on Palestineans? - (mmoffitt) - (35)
                 So...its our fault, right? - (bepatient) - (10)
                     Reading for Content 101. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                         All that that list attempts to do... - (bepatient) - (8)
                             Re: All that that list attempts to do... - (TTC) - (5)
                                 Very Well Said. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 Seen this coming? - (bepatient) - (3)
                                     It's one thing to understand 'their' motivations, - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         Well I guess it just depends... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                             Yes it seems than bin-L's beef is quite provincial.. - (Ashton)
                             Nonsense. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 You seem to have a problem... - (bepatient)
                 That was my point - (Fearless Freep) - (6)
                     NO! - (screamer) - (4)
                         NO! - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                             Thanks for the clarification... - (screamer)
                         wait a minute.. - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                             Well, I took the liberty of implying that they - (screamer)
                     I guess the Taliban didn't benefit from the... - (mmoffitt)
                 A counterpoint. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Well put. - (mmoffitt)
                 Get your facts straight - (bluke) - (14)
                     Don't bother them... - (bepatient) - (9)
                         Not the Bad Guys, just not the Completely Innocent. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         Re: Don't bother them... - (TTC) - (7)
                             Re: Don't bother them... - (addison) - (5)
                                 Ah. There's the rub. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                     It is this line of reasoning... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                         So, violence, does *not* lead to more violence? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                             In this case I would have to give a qualified yes. -NT - (bepatient)
                                             Talking past each other, I think. - (Another Scott)
                             Interesting... - (bepatient)
                     I lost the mail, but here is a link. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                         Wow... - (bepatient) - (2)
                             One for you ;-) - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 He has a web site? - (bepatient)

Sorry, no can do.
61 ms