IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Thanks for chance to debate this ...
Is there a single period in known Chinese history that wasn't one or more of the following: What do you mean by period ??? - is 200 years of peace & properity a 'period' in your definition. Is multiple 100 year periods good enough ???

I had a list of criteria (one of which was lasting 150 years). You can't name a period in known Chinese history that doesn't have at least one of the criteria. Well, the Han dynasty was relatively peaceful, but was falling into corruption at the end and still was about total control (and the inability to keep it due to rebellion).
Fractured into multiple opposing regimes ??? When ???

403-221 BC, 220-589 AD, 618-907 AD, 1644-1949 AD.
Controlled by a brutal dictator or emperor ??? Brutal, in what context ??? (all rulers in almost all civilizations between 1000bc to 1700ad 'controlled' their subjects. This statement really means nothing).

I don't submit to the idea that something is ok, just because it's the fad at the time. People have consciences, and a brutal execution now or 1500 years ago is still a bad thing for the one being executed.
Controlled by a brutal totalitarian concept (Do you mean Mao ???, if not then which ruler ??? and brutality in what context ???)

Communism (as practiced by China) has been pretty good at being a brutal totalitarian way of life. In recent times they're getting a handle on it and gradually changing to a more representative form, but there a definitely some human right issues. Legalism was a parallel from a couple thousand years earlier; opposing views quickly quashed by destroying them in whatever form they came.
Majority of people living in poverty Sorry but this is pure crap unless you mean 19th century China as it was transitioning from feudal, to occupied to Communism). If so that is one tiny period in a great & illustrious history spanning 2 millenia !!!

There isn't much written about China outside of the elite class. Granted, everyone else survived, but it wasn't until the twelfth century AD that the population's food problems were met as a whole. Even then, you had rice and you had mud. Enjoy. The state of the majority of the population did not change from then until recently.

Just a few notes on the rest of your comments:
You underplay brutality and dictator control as the very beginning, by saying it was the way it worked then. Doesn't change what it was, and all the periods mentioned contained some aspect of that style of government.

Tang: Exemplified by one of the cruelest systems in known history. Look up Empress Wu. (Wu Tang...ring any bells ;-) )

The rest of the progress and achievements you mention were restricted to the few privileged (like many other governments in other regions). Most people ate their rice, sold the rest to pay taxes, sat in the dirt, and died when it was convenient.

This is not to underplay the rich documented culture and history of the Chinese elite. I merely pose that they don't have that much more to brag about than the rest of us. Each succesive regime change did manage to capture all of China rather than parts of it, but I'm not sure that qualifies them to claim expertise in proper governmental policy.
New Well how long has america been enlighted by your standard?
The rest of the progress and achievements you mention were restricted to the few privileged (like many other governments in other regions). Most people ate their rice, sold the rest to pay taxes, sat in the dirt, and died when it was convenient.
that is different how than day to day America? Since America's subjegation and wars against original occupants didnt end until 1912 and genocide was actively practiced into the early 1960's what date do you submit as a start date for America's wonderful state of being?
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Since corporations are the equivelent of human but they have no "concience" they are by definition sociopaths
New Re: Well how long has america been enlighted by your standar
America doesn't even enter into this conversation. If I wanted to compare Chinese civilization with anything else, it would be Arabian, Egyptian or Grecian/Roman. No, those civilizations were not devoid of brutal empires and rulers either...which was my point. Not that China is any worse than the rest of us, but they aren't any better either.
New But back to the original original point
They certainly have a lot more experience of the posit that was made at the beginning of this thread, to wit: "There are times when one need do little but watch and wait as those whom one opposes on one matter or another make even bigger mistakes. We Chinese have had many more centuries than the Americans to grasp this truth."

You can say the same things about European civilisation, and even Middle Eastern civilization. Interestingly enough, almost all of the above seem to think the US is making a mistake.

This is my real problem with the war; I think that the US is making a colossal blunder that will reverberate for many many years, possibly unto the next generation.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Re: But back to the original original point
And my original original point is that it hasn't done them much good.
New Your definition is now too broad and meaningless
We could both argue that there has *never* been a period in any great empire's history where there weren't one of your conditions !!!.

Roman
Byzantine
Persian
Austro-Hungarian
British
Russian
USSR
German
American

You have spread your case so ridiculously broad as to make it meaningless - as an illustration. Tell me when US has had any 100-150 years without one of your pointless conditions being met.

--Please start with the treatment of native Americans !!!. Then enlighten us re:

--The war on Spain started by blaming them for a coal bunker explosion on the Battleship Maine in Havana Harbour

--The Vietnam mess

--Ollie North's Nicaraguan adventures

--etc: ad infinitum

Cheers

Doug Marker

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
New hey we didnt stop governmental genocide
as a matter of public policy until the 60's
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Since corporations are the equivelent of human but they have no "concience" they are by definition sociopaths
New Re: Your definition is now too broad and meaningless
Ummm...that was my entire POINT! I in fact STATED that other long-standing empires have suffered from the same problems. My POINT was that China is not handing down drops of wisdom from a higher plane of reality!
New What were you actually saying ???
Of all empires of the past 2,500 years China is the only surviving one and is yet again on the resurgence after approx 150 years of foreign intervention & political weakness. ????.

What did you make your original post for then, it seems to me you are really admiting you made an attack on China for no useful purpose & to establish no point that bears any relevance to the war on Iraq. They you failed to prove anything other than not understanding the point you tried to make.

The outcome of this episode is to paint you as a 'mouth' rather than a 'brain'.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

(I promise will not hold this against you in future debates (only what you post and how you defend it) but do keep away from posting your 'wisdom & insights' on China because you have shown us that wisdom and insight is not what inspires your sino-knowledge.

China *does* have wisdom & a wealth of experience in being and sustaining an empire & apart from the issue of land-locked Tibet. Has *never* been the slightet bit guilty of being an aggresive imperialist force seeking domination beyond its immediate (last 1000 years) borders or spheres of influence (Korea, Tibet, Hainan, Taiwan & Hong Kong/Macau. (just remember that the 1st Chinese dynasty included *all* of Siberia - have you ever heard any Chinese saying they want it back ???). (Go back & look at your 1st post in this unfortunate thread).

Doug Marker

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
Expand Edited by dmarker March 29, 2003, 04:16:25 AM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker March 29, 2003, 07:24:33 AM EST
Expand Edited by dmarker March 29, 2003, 07:31:00 AM EST
New Re: What were you actually saying ???
China can only claim "surviving" because each successive regime change kept roughly the same boundaries (sometimes). They have had as much of a rocky past as anyone else.

In my original post I was making the point that China appears to be holding itself up as an example to follow, while it's obvious they haven't got it right yet, and never have. Just like the rest of the world.
New A backdown -- 'China *appears* to be' ...

No you did *not* say 'China appears to be' - you wrote ...

>>
They have a great history, of brutal dictatorships of dazzling grandeur and massive populations in abject poverty, to draw from.
<<

I don't see any such words or imputation.

Doug M

New Re: A backdown -- 'China *appears* to be' ...
You can mince semantics all day, but it never helps your case to grasp at that straw.
New Clap clap clap

Interesting, brief Chinese commentary - (rcareaga) - (50)
         Re: Interesting, brief Chinese commentary - (cybermace5) - (49)
             So you agree they might know what they're talking about then -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                 they certainly have experience with what doesn't work -NT - (cybermace5)
             What a crock of s*** - (dmarker) - (46)
                 he's american schooled and untravelled, whadya expect :-) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                     The why shoot his mouth off on topics he knows f'all about ? - (dmarker) - (2)
                         I'm told that 'debate' is not even an optional course - (Ashton)
                         Look at the facts. - (Brandioch)
                 Re: What a crock of s*** - (cybermace5) - (41)
                     Hah..!____Gehabt, kinder.__Over --> Oz. -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Ill let doug get stuck in then dibs on seconds -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             glad it will be interesting -NT - (cybermace5)
                     Thanks for chance to debate this ... - (dmarker) - (37)
                         Re: Thanks for chance to debate this ... - (cybermace5) - (12)
                             Well how long has america been enlighted by your standard? - (boxley) - (3)
                                 Re: Well how long has america been enlighted by your standar - (cybermace5) - (2)
                                     But back to the original original point - (jake123) - (1)
                                         Re: But back to the original original point - (cybermace5)
                             Your definition is now too broad and meaningless - (dmarker) - (7)
                                 hey we didnt stop governmental genocide - (boxley)
                                 Re: Your definition is now too broad and meaningless - (cybermace5) - (5)
                                     What were you actually saying ??? - (dmarker) - (4)
                                         Re: What were you actually saying ??? - (cybermace5) - (3)
                                             A backdown -- 'China *appears* to be' ... - (dmarker) - (2)
                                                 Re: A backdown -- 'China *appears* to be' ... - (cybermace5) - (1)
                                                     Clap clap clap -NT - (dmarker)
                         Well, this was a dud. -NT - (cybermace5) - (23)
                             You are the dud!. Pulled grenade out of pin with your teeth - (dmarker) - (22)
                                 Re: You are the dud!. Pulled grenade out of pin with your te - (cybermace5) - (21)
                                     Tell me 1 'point' you made - - (dmarker) - (20)
                                         Re: Tell me 1 'point' you made - - (cybermace5) - (19)
                                             Straw Woman - now who is Googling and who knows China? - (Ashton) - (18)
                                                 how gratifying - (rcareaga) - (17)
                                                     Re: how gratifying - (cybermace5) - (15)
                                                         Re: how gratifying - (rcareaga) - (14)
                                                             Re: how gratifying - (cybermace5) - (13)
                                                                 have you travelled and visited any other countries? - (boxley)
                                                                 you forgot the "born in a log cabin" bit - (rcareaga) - (11)
                                                                     What...! - (cybermace5) - (10)
                                                                         Re: What...! - (rcareaga) - (9)
                                                                             Re: What...! - (cybermace5) - (8)
                                                                                 Degenerating threads -endup in circles & then fly up own ass - (dmarker)
                                                                                 Query: - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                 You need to get out more - (jake123) - (5)
                                                                                     Sneaky qustion, there..____ betcha no-one wants to bite. - (Ashton)
                                                                                     Re: You need to get out more - (cybermace5) - (3)
                                                                                         LRPD Candidate (new thread) - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                         Re: You need to get out more - (jake123)
                                                                                         10 points for the lions to lawyers quip <grin> -NT - (dmarker)
                                                     Mea maxima culpa. - (Ashton)

The Men In Black have been bendin' my ear.
107 ms