IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How much more research do I have to do?
I went there, I experienced both economies (the peso economy is difficult to get into without decent Spanish and persistence). I made use of their medical services (thank god for Argentinian antibiotics), I stayed with a woman who was a medical technologist. I discussed economic conditions with various people and I lost 10 pounds because I couldn't find any decent food with any regularity.

I think its very odd that we impose economic sanctions on them and still rent a military base from them. Of course, I think its equally odd that they continue to rent us the base. Its a bit like boycotting the local grocer because he refuses to offer organic produce, but still shoplifting TastyCakes out the back door.

I have it on good authority that the US gov wants to crack down on US citizens visiting Cuba. Why? Am I not free to travel anywhere on the planet I wish? America is about freedom, right?

Anyhow, Cuba is just one data point I have first hand experience with. I'm sure there's more.

I don't want to see just retribution. I want to see a mix of reform *and* retribution.
New Re: How much more research do I have to do?
I think its very odd that we impose economic sanctions on them and still rent a military base from them. Of course, I think its equally odd that they continue to rent us the base. Its a bit like boycotting the local grocer because he refuses to offer organic produce, but still shoplifting TastyCakes out the back door.

Its called a "lease" Like China, and Hong Kong.

And as I understand it, they refuse to cash the check.

At least enough research to know that much, I would have expected.

I have it on good authority that the US gov wants to crack down on US citizens visiting Cuba. Why? Am I not free to travel anywhere on the planet I wish? America is about freedom, right?

Not legally, no. Not that I agree.

But there are lot of other opinions on Cuba. The Cubans in the family can do a much better job, but you'd stand a better chance of convicing them that the Pope is the Antichrist than weakening their stance on Castro and Cuba.

Addison
New OK I looked up the terms of the "lease"
and I have to agree with Castro. The lease was likely extracted under pressure from an occupied country.

$4k per year (originally $2k in gold coin in the 1903 agreement) in perpetuity? The landlord can't unilaterally end the lease ever and there's no time limit?

Sorry man, thats not a lease, its captured territory with a token payment. No wonder they won't cash the check.

The US Gov is/has been an asshole to Cuba.

As far as making a law telling me where I can and can't go outside the country: Fuck You Uncle Sam. I go where I please. (Actually , this case has been won - you *can* go to Cuba - you may not trade with them -- spend US money - at least this is what my lawyer uncle tells me).

BTW, I honestly don't think anybody attacks democracy any more. I think they attack our rampant predatory capitalism. They hate us for the same reason we hate Microsoft - we don't play fair in the markets.
New Close enough - seconded.
     For those asking Why? - (tuberculosis) - (7)
         That's not insight. That's left wing bias. (nomsg) -NT - (marlowe) - (1)
             It has some factual errors, but to dismiss it... - (Ashton)
         I'm surprised. - (addison) - (4)
             How much more research do I have to do? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                 Re: How much more research do I have to do? - (addison) - (2)
                     OK I looked up the terms of the "lease" - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Close enough - seconded. -NT - (Ashton)