IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For those asking Why?
[link|http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,551036,00.html|Some insight].

Nothing excuses the actions of the terrorists.

But we really ought to reflect for a bit on why we USA citizens are such targets. I think the author is right, we've not been doing a good job of curbing our bulldog.

I'm certainly at a loss as to why we are refusing to sell food and medicine to our nearest [link|http://www.cuba.com/|carribean neighbor] when we have a [link|http://www.cuba.com/guantanamo/index1.htm|military base] in their country.

We've likely got plenty of other items to answer for too.

New That's not insight. That's left wing bias. (nomsg)
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New It has some factual errors, but to dismiss it...
(Apparently re details of any previous direct US - bin Laden relationship, for just the obvious one.)

NOTHING is unbiased. So, you mean to dismiss all the points mentioned, as 'left-wing'? (WTF That means anymore: divide all of humanity into Left and Right -- is that doggerel still around?)

If we are to learn *nothing* from this - except to hunt down One Bad Guy\ufffd and a few of his direct nodes, then prepare for WW-III. We have as much to learn here, as to preach / teach - for damn sure. We either learn to listen, for once, or watch matters deteriorate further.

With Dubya's 9th grade command of language and - enough.. folks who would remain determinedly anti-clueful re the roots of anti-American feelings of all varieties: this opportunity for actual worldwide concerted effort -- can be wasted as surely as we wasted the opportunities to actually assist the ex-USSR. We became mere $-besotted carpetbaggers looking for free natural resources to exploit.

The present spirit of (Article 5 NATO) cooperation is a fragile thing IMhO. We may hope that sounder minds than that of the Resident of the United States, may prevail.

A.
New I'm surprised.
Usually (I thought) you research more before blasting away.

In any event: Guantamo Bay is leased. I forget the exact terms - every year, we send the Cuban Government a check for the rent.

I'm certainly at a loss as to why we are refusing to sell food and medicine

Has nothing to do with the lease on the Base.

Addison
New How much more research do I have to do?
I went there, I experienced both economies (the peso economy is difficult to get into without decent Spanish and persistence). I made use of their medical services (thank god for Argentinian antibiotics), I stayed with a woman who was a medical technologist. I discussed economic conditions with various people and I lost 10 pounds because I couldn't find any decent food with any regularity.

I think its very odd that we impose economic sanctions on them and still rent a military base from them. Of course, I think its equally odd that they continue to rent us the base. Its a bit like boycotting the local grocer because he refuses to offer organic produce, but still shoplifting TastyCakes out the back door.

I have it on good authority that the US gov wants to crack down on US citizens visiting Cuba. Why? Am I not free to travel anywhere on the planet I wish? America is about freedom, right?

Anyhow, Cuba is just one data point I have first hand experience with. I'm sure there's more.

I don't want to see just retribution. I want to see a mix of reform *and* retribution.
New Re: How much more research do I have to do?
I think its very odd that we impose economic sanctions on them and still rent a military base from them. Of course, I think its equally odd that they continue to rent us the base. Its a bit like boycotting the local grocer because he refuses to offer organic produce, but still shoplifting TastyCakes out the back door.

Its called a "lease" Like China, and Hong Kong.

And as I understand it, they refuse to cash the check.

At least enough research to know that much, I would have expected.

I have it on good authority that the US gov wants to crack down on US citizens visiting Cuba. Why? Am I not free to travel anywhere on the planet I wish? America is about freedom, right?

Not legally, no. Not that I agree.

But there are lot of other opinions on Cuba. The Cubans in the family can do a much better job, but you'd stand a better chance of convicing them that the Pope is the Antichrist than weakening their stance on Castro and Cuba.

Addison
New OK I looked up the terms of the "lease"
and I have to agree with Castro. The lease was likely extracted under pressure from an occupied country.

$4k per year (originally $2k in gold coin in the 1903 agreement) in perpetuity? The landlord can't unilaterally end the lease ever and there's no time limit?

Sorry man, thats not a lease, its captured territory with a token payment. No wonder they won't cash the check.

The US Gov is/has been an asshole to Cuba.

As far as making a law telling me where I can and can't go outside the country: Fuck You Uncle Sam. I go where I please. (Actually , this case has been won - you *can* go to Cuba - you may not trade with them -- spend US money - at least this is what my lawyer uncle tells me).

BTW, I honestly don't think anybody attacks democracy any more. I think they attack our rampant predatory capitalism. They hate us for the same reason we hate Microsoft - we don't play fair in the markets.
New Close enough - seconded.
     For those asking Why? - (tuberculosis) - (7)
         That's not insight. That's left wing bias. (nomsg) -NT - (marlowe) - (1)
             It has some factual errors, but to dismiss it... - (Ashton)
         I'm surprised. - (addison) - (4)
             How much more research do I have to do? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                 Re: How much more research do I have to do? - (addison) - (2)
                     OK I looked up the terms of the "lease" - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Close enough - seconded. -NT - (Ashton)

Impossible.
47 ms