IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Huh?

PS Do you ever spare a moment of pity for people 20 years from now who will realize that the genius Barry Roomberg's untouchable code has a key routine with a mistake in it? And there are now unknown dependencies on this error in the maestro's code, so you can't fix it! :-)

Most of the time people use the term genius it is sarcastic. Should I be worried?

Anyway, if I have code that outlives me, doubt I'll care that people can't change it. It should be ripped out and rewritten every 3 years anyway.
New Explanation...
It was a reference back to [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=81278|http://z.iwethey.org...w?contentid=81278] - and while we are referring back to that thread there is a point that I had which I never stated back then due to being too busy to get involved at the moment.

My opinion is that you have mistaken the limitations of people who can survive the politics of your specific mainframe environment for the limitations of people who like to deal with mainframes. And if we can get her interested enough (and idle enough) to respond, my example of a mainframe person who demonstrates general competence by anyone's standards is Slugbug. That said, I suspect that there are many companies with established mainframe environments which resemble yours politically...

I also note that Ovid started on mainframes, but he is not evidence against your thesis since he left that environment quite cheerfully when given the chance.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New I started on mainframes, too...
I don't know if I'm up to the standard of SlugBug, but I did do 6 years of IBM 370 Assembler in a TPF and VM/CMS environment.

After 6 years, I had enough and was given a chance to work with C language on IBM PC's, so I did. In the 80286/80386 era. Two years after learning C, I started learning C++. I did that for about 5 years, then wanted to learn Unix and databases, but my employer was happy to make me into a permanent Windows NT networking person.

So I changed jobs, in about 3 months, I was proficient in Unix, and pretty decent in Sybase. Then I went to work for BEA, and realized that I knew nothing compared to the freakkin geniuses they had there.

I learned completely new coding techniques, to get portable code in C between AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, and even Windows NT. Something that still can't really be done in C++. But I did C++, too, and continued in the career.

Then I got a chance to do a big Unix/NT integration with C and Tuxedo and MQSeries, and mainframe interfaces in COBOL and XML. That was very cool, took a year.

Now, I've spent the last 1 1/2 years learning Java and DB2. I'm pretty decent at that, too.

But, for all that experience, I do think that fear stops most organizations from progressing and there are examples today of companies who won't be around in 5 years, because they cling to technology that time clearly has passed by. The airline/travel industry is particularly at risk, because they are still dependent on TPF (Transaction Processing Facility), when the last known updates for it from IBM were probably sometime in the early 1990's, and only after American, United, Delta, etc. BEGGED them to continue the O/S support.

Now, someone needs to rewrite the major travel reservations systems like Apollo, SABRE, and Worldspan into Unix technology, but now there's no money to support such an effort.

So, I fear the entire airline/travel technology industry will die off, until some brave soul enters the market with new technology. First small beans, then in about 5 years, they will dominate the marketplace.

The bottom line is that as long as the business model works, people will keep things the way they are. As soon as the model shifts fundamentally, then it's a WHOLE NEW BALL GAME.

Recessions are wonderful tools for creating a whole new ball game, because the economics make the old model flat out impossible.

New Um....
....who ya' callin' a mainframe person? :-)

Sure, it's in my bag of tricks, but one has to grow and keep skill
levels consistent with what is in demand in the marketplace.

Not sure if I understand all of the parameters in Barry's shop, but
I'll venture a guess that there is a culture of fear element present
which likely permeates from above. In cases where fear is part of
the culture, it is often necessary to build and demonstrate a working
prototype that involves differing technologies so as to open eyes.
Has this been attempted?

Also, most mainframe shops that I'm aware of are adopting the plethora
of new technologies now available for big iron systems. Has this been
explored? Some examples:

[link|http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/os/linux/|http://www-1.ibm.com...zseries/os/linux/]
[link|http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/software/java/|http://www-1.ibm.com...es/software/java/]

My $.02
-Slugbug

If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford
New You know, use and like mainframes
That is what I meant by a mainframe person.

You also know, use, and like a ton of other technologies. :-)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Categorization is a dangerous thing
IME, people who categorize themselves as mainframe people usually only have knowledge and skill in that area with little or no desire to learn other things. On the other hand, "technologists" can and often do have mainframe skill along with knowledge and experience in a variety of other areas.

-Slugbug
If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

-Henry Ford
New *Exclusive* categorization is dangerous IMO
Since it is possible to know many different topics, it is possible for a person to be categorized as knowing multiple topics. ;-)

Cheers,
Ben
     Can an Open-Source Database Threaten MS, Oracle, and IBM? - (lincoln) - (67)
         Nope. - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Agree entirely. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Yes - (drewk)
         Free stripped down versions of other SQL databases - (orion)
         Only at the Low End of the Spectrum... - (gdaustin) - (58)
             Hmmm Glen... you looked at SAPDB? - (folkert) - (17)
                 Re: Hmmm Glen... you looked at SAPDB? - (gdaustin) - (2)
                     How expensive is the DB2 support? - (folkert) - (1)
                         Re: How expensive is the DB2 support? - (gdaustin)
                 Looked. Then look away - (broomberg) - (13)
                     Barry... Barry - (folkert) - (12)
                         Greg ... Greg ... Greg - (broomberg) - (11)
                             *chuckle* Boys, boys! - (imric)
                             BLAH...BLAH...BLAH... - (folkert) - (9)
                                 Ahh, an actual debate - (broomberg) - (7)
                                     Yes but you still missed it... - (folkert) - (6)
                                         No, I see it - (broomberg) - (3)
                                             Economy of SCALE... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                 This says it all - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                     If that is the only thing you read... - (folkert)
                                         Where are you getting $120K for 3 16way machines? - (gdaustin) - (1)
                                             He might be getting it - (broomberg)
                                 Re: BLAH...BLAH...BLAH... - (deSitter)
             Read _The Innovator's Dilemma_, please - (ben_tilly) - (38)
                 Don't agree - (broomberg) - (37)
                     We will see - (ben_tilly) - (36)
                         I agree with your time frame - (broomberg) - (35)
                             by 2010 I expect the network to be the database - (boxley) - (15)
                                 Wow, I'm gone a few hours - (gdaustin)
                                 Database Prognostication - (gdaustin)
                                 In the year 2525.... -NT - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                     One of my favorite songs that are never played anymore... -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         Beats me why it's not considered a "classic" -NT - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                             How sad - (deSitter)
                                             It is. - (bepatient)
                                 Re: by 2010 I expect the network to be the database - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                     Bwahahahahahaha. "Jetsons". *snort* SO true, SO true. -NT - (tseliot)
                                     ya gotta think outside the box :-) - (boxley) - (5)
                                         So when this happens will OO be considered "legacy"? -NT - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                             what is an object? its a method of manipulating data - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 It's something that can move around self-contained -NT - (deSitter)
                                                 It's a thingy..____you silly. -NT - (Ashton)
                                         OK, Bryce: When did Bill give you his zIWT password to use? -NT - (CRConrad)
                             I think that I have a reasonable bet... - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                                 I don't trust "division" reports - (broomberg) - (17)
                                     We have a problem then - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                         Cadiallacs vs. Hondas - (gdaustin) - (15)
                                             BARRY... this is the BINGO. - (folkert) - (14)
                                                 But it is not what you said - (broomberg) - (13)
                                                     No *YOU* can't because you won;t risk that neck of yours... - (folkert) - (12)
                                                         Sigh - (broomberg) - (11)
                                                             Translation - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                                 Huh? - (broomberg) - (6)
                                                                     Explanation... - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                                         I started on mainframes, too... - (gdaustin)
                                                                         Um.... - (slugbug) - (3)
                                                                             You know, use and like mainframes - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                 Categorization is a dangerous thing - (slugbug) - (1)
                                                                                     *Exclusive* categorization is dangerous IMO - (ben_tilly)
                                                             Dont know your vendor but - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 Small vendor - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                                     understood and sympathise -NT - (boxley)
             PGSQL Replication is available - (tuberculosis)
         I've been saying "five years" for about two years now - (kmself) - (3)
             OT: "supplant" is a synonym for "replace". - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 What I want to know is... - (kmself) - (1)
                     Well, I used to confuse supplant with supplement. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

And on mic: the l-l-lovely... Cher!
90 ms