IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dont know your vendor but
When I was with Siemens and a GOOD customer asked CS if they could use X then Customer Service would start submarine support immediately on a test basis. Of course I dont know the vendor in question or their vision of what cust support is.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]</br>

To a lot of people in California hunting anything but the wild tofualope was equivelent to sacarificing babies to satan. S.M. Sterling
New Small vendor
With a very limited support / development staff. They are far more interested in adding new features and fixing bugs than widening the number of databases they support.

When we started using them 6 years we were one of their 1st customers. They were a SQL Server ONLY shop. We practically forced them to move to support Oracle because SQL Server was too small / flaky to handle our requirements. So they already did this type of move, just for us. Since we resell their software into large companies, our argument was the large company already had Oracle and would not install / support SQL Server just to run their product.

It was incredibly painful dealing with this app. It generated SQL Server specific SQL. It used asyncronous ODBC connections, which never worked with the Oracle ODBC drivers, at least not for the 1st 2 years. I went though 6 seperate 3rd party ODBC driver test installs and QC. Sometime they would work for weeks until breaking in a strange way. The whole time the vendor said: Sure, send me everything you have and we will try to recreate. 2TB of data!!!! Of course we couldn't, so they would PCAnywhere into the PC running their software and try to fix it that way.

I'm speaking from EXPERIENCE here, not some BS "oh, it is well supported and has threads, ooooo". Try blowing MONTHS getting multiple systems playing nicely together.

We can't do the reverse, since we can't hold the carrot of SAB-DB already in the large corporations being used as a general database. Unless you want to point be to the companies using it already. Not vendors who support it, companies that use it.
New understood and sympathise
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]</br>

To a lot of people in California hunting anything but the wild tofualope was equivelent to sacarificing babies to satan. S.M. Sterling
     Can an Open-Source Database Threaten MS, Oracle, and IBM? - (lincoln) - (67)
         Nope. - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Agree entirely. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Yes - (drewk)
         Free stripped down versions of other SQL databases - (orion)
         Only at the Low End of the Spectrum... - (gdaustin) - (58)
             Hmmm Glen... you looked at SAPDB? - (folkert) - (17)
                 Re: Hmmm Glen... you looked at SAPDB? - (gdaustin) - (2)
                     How expensive is the DB2 support? - (folkert) - (1)
                         Re: How expensive is the DB2 support? - (gdaustin)
                 Looked. Then look away - (broomberg) - (13)
                     Barry... Barry - (folkert) - (12)
                         Greg ... Greg ... Greg - (broomberg) - (11)
                             *chuckle* Boys, boys! - (imric)
                             BLAH...BLAH...BLAH... - (folkert) - (9)
                                 Ahh, an actual debate - (broomberg) - (7)
                                     Yes but you still missed it... - (folkert) - (6)
                                         No, I see it - (broomberg) - (3)
                                             Economy of SCALE... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                 This says it all - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                     If that is the only thing you read... - (folkert)
                                         Where are you getting $120K for 3 16way machines? - (gdaustin) - (1)
                                             He might be getting it - (broomberg)
                                 Re: BLAH...BLAH...BLAH... - (deSitter)
             Read _The Innovator's Dilemma_, please - (ben_tilly) - (38)
                 Don't agree - (broomberg) - (37)
                     We will see - (ben_tilly) - (36)
                         I agree with your time frame - (broomberg) - (35)
                             by 2010 I expect the network to be the database - (boxley) - (15)
                                 Wow, I'm gone a few hours - (gdaustin)
                                 Database Prognostication - (gdaustin)
                                 In the year 2525.... -NT - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                     One of my favorite songs that are never played anymore... -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         Beats me why it's not considered a "classic" -NT - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                             How sad - (deSitter)
                                             It is. - (bepatient)
                                 Re: by 2010 I expect the network to be the database - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                     Bwahahahahahaha. "Jetsons". *snort* SO true, SO true. -NT - (tseliot)
                                     ya gotta think outside the box :-) - (boxley) - (5)
                                         So when this happens will OO be considered "legacy"? -NT - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                             what is an object? its a method of manipulating data - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 It's something that can move around self-contained -NT - (deSitter)
                                                 It's a thingy..____you silly. -NT - (Ashton)
                                         OK, Bryce: When did Bill give you his zIWT password to use? -NT - (CRConrad)
                             I think that I have a reasonable bet... - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                                 I don't trust "division" reports - (broomberg) - (17)
                                     We have a problem then - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                         Cadiallacs vs. Hondas - (gdaustin) - (15)
                                             BARRY... this is the BINGO. - (folkert) - (14)
                                                 But it is not what you said - (broomberg) - (13)
                                                     No *YOU* can't because you won;t risk that neck of yours... - (folkert) - (12)
                                                         Sigh - (broomberg) - (11)
                                                             Translation - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                                 Huh? - (broomberg) - (6)
                                                                     Explanation... - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                                         I started on mainframes, too... - (gdaustin)
                                                                         Um.... - (slugbug) - (3)
                                                                             You know, use and like mainframes - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                 Categorization is a dangerous thing - (slugbug) - (1)
                                                                                     *Exclusive* categorization is dangerous IMO - (ben_tilly)
                                                             Dont know your vendor but - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 Small vendor - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                                     understood and sympathise -NT - (boxley)
             PGSQL Replication is available - (tuberculosis)
         I've been saying "five years" for about two years now - (kmself) - (3)
             OT: "supplant" is a synonym for "replace". - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 What I want to know is... - (kmself) - (1)
                     Well, I used to confuse supplant with supplement. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Dutch man on the mizzen mast!
83 ms