IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The WTC survived the crashes just fine.
They didn't survive the fires. Nothing could.

Listen to the [link|http://www.pbs.org/newshour/newshour_index.html|Real Audio] of the NewsHour segment last night entitled "Structural Questions". (I assume they'll have transcripts soon.)

The building was very strong and survived the impact just fine. The problem was the jet fuel fire which couldn't be put out in time. The steel softened and the upper stories collapsed, ram-rodding the rest of the building into the ground. If the steel hadn't softened, it would still be standing.

There are coatings they can put on steel to resist fires, and they're standard. But they're designed to resist a 3 hour office fire (paper, carpet, etc.), not a jet fuel fire. Nothing can stand up to that (at least nothing practical - you can't wrap every beam in 3 feet of asbestos or something...).

It wasn't the impact which did in the towers, it was the fire.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Doesn't change my point....
That is, according to marlowe, you have to account for *every possibility*. Now that we know you can fly an airliner into a building, surely you're negligent if you don't armor it and prepare so that it *won't* collapse.

Which is of course, absurd.

Right now, they're talking about banning knifes - even in resturants - in the airport, and on the plane. (hope you like grilled cheese when you fly, and dont' insist on the crust being cut off).

Which is starting to miss the forest for the trees, again.

You're absolutely right, at least I don't know that you're wrong.

The designers never really planned for THIS contingency - and at some point you *do* have to say "well, we can't cover that".

Addison
New Re: The WTC survived the crashes just fine.
If it collapsed, it didn't "survive the crashes just fine".

The designers just didn't take into account thousands (tens or hundreds?) of gallons of jet fuel poured into the structure. Unexpected side effects. As a programmer, I know all about that. This is a majorly ouch unexpected side effect.
That no man should scruple, or hesitate a moment to use arms in defense of so valuable a blessing [as freedom], on which all the good and evil of life depends, is clearly my opinion; yet arms ... should be the last resource. - George Washington
     A simple question nobody seems to ask - (Andrew Grygus) - (73)
         Up to now... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
             Tasers might be a good idea. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                 Still useful to the wrong people... - (addison)
         Gong! - (gdaustin) - (15)
             I agree with your assessment... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                 Odd random thought - (drewk) - (1)
                     Luggage Laptops - (gdaustin)
                 Passenger planes - (Steven A S)
             You do realize... - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                 I don't realize that. - (addison)
                 YOU DO REALIZE... - (gdaustin) - (5)
                     Re: YOU DO REALIZE... - (addison) - (2)
                         actually both is better than one -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Praise the Lord and Pass the Powder - (cwbrenn)
                     YES I REALIZE THAT, THANKS FOR SHOUTING - (cwbrenn)
                     Something like that has happened once before - (bconnors)
             One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Steven A S) - (1)
                     Understood: free night-shades supplied on request_____:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Asked and answered many times. - (addison) - (42)
             Why do the cockpits have to be accessible from the cabin? - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                 Lots of reasons. - (addison) - (40)
                     Most of that could be fixed. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         Fixing is relative. - (addison) - (5)
                             Better a relative fix than an absolute abdication. - (marlowe) - (4)
                                 Don't have airplanes. Then they can't crash. -NT - (addison) - (3)
                                     A slightly more moderate version. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                         I'm glad you've decided to moderate some. - (addison) - (1)
                                             Concur on time. Ban everything except GA ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Lots of solutions - (marlowe) - (32)
                         There's *no* "justs" here. - (addison) - (31)
                             Seven to ten years? - (marlowe) - (1)
                                 Yep. - (addison)
                             OT: Kneejerk - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                 Not given the emergency. - (addison) - (11)
                                     It is weird. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Not really. - (addison) - (9)
                                             most arrests too... - (Simon_Jester)
                                             So, what do we do? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 No. - (addison) - (6)
                                                     You know something I don't? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         Just the NOTAM. - (addison) - (4)
                                                             Can you imagine the NOTAMs that'll be out shortly? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 That's not that unusual. - (addison) - (2)
                                                                     I know what flight following is. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                         OK - (addison)
                             Here's a question for you. - (marlowe) - (15)
                                 The answer is: - (addison) - (14)
                                     I blithely ignore nothing. Shame on you. - (marlowe) - (13)
                                         Emotions gentlemen.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                             But this is part of the problem. - (marlowe)
                                         There's no shame attached to me. - (addison) - (10)
                                             That's harsh. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                 It should be. - (addison) - (8)
                                                     Had to reread my posts. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                         Nobody's saying it's easy. - (marlowe) - (6)
                                                             You did. - (addison) - (5)
                                                                 The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                     Doesn't change my point.... - (addison)
                                                                     Re: The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (wharris2)
                                                                 All right. Maybe not so much words in my mouth as... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                                     Not as bad as - (addison)
         A few idiots with box openers who claimed to have a bomb... - (inthane-chan)
         They probably never would have got a chance to use it. - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Re squawk, this time. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Too much uncertain. - (mmoffitt)
         2 words... - (bepatient) - (6)
             double barreled no. 4 ? should stay in the hull -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                 Cockpits are really quite tough. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     Reminds me of a story... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         I remember that one - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Yup. - (inthane-chan)
                         We had "the chicken guy" - (Andrew Grygus)

Hello, boys and girls!
225 ms