IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There's no shame attached to me.
And quite frankly, fuck you for saying that.

You don't have any idea of what it would require for your "ideas".

They're not solutions.

But screw that. They're better than nothing, right?

The problems my solutions would create

Which you are completely unaware of. So any statement you're making about their weight is completely bogus.

I've told you about a lot of what that would take. You have BLITHELY ignored that, and said "so what, that's stupid, we should have done it before now".

I offer solutions. You offer sarcasm.

You offer knee-jerk reactions. Without ANY REGARD - YES ANY - to the PROBLEMS with them. Right now, your "solutions" are right on a par with the redneck I heard last night (ex-green beret) who wants to "Kill all dem a-hrabs". Sure, its a *solution*. Its got more than a few realistic problems with it.

Don't you think its been considered before? Oh, just everybody else is an idiot, cept for you, and there's nothing wrong with *your* plan, no weaknesses whatsoever.

You've got no idea of HOW MUCH testing is required, how many design decisions and regulations factor into that plane that was built by these idiots, maintained and run by idiots, and flown by idiots, but you're willing to "simply" rectify the situation. (I presume, since similar idiots built your car, and made safety concessions, and your house, and your computer, you're not going to use any of them)

Of course, it was 'simple' to put in metal detectors and x-ray machines.

You want something other than sarcasm? You've not earned anything else.

You've shown some staggering ignorance and worship of same before, but this takes the fucking cake.

Addison
New That's harsh.
I don't have my ticket yet (like you do) but I do have a pretty damned good idea of what it takes to get an airworthiness certificate. And I'm sorry, but I don't think the idea of a split between cabin and cockpit is technically infeesible and would make hijacking more cumbersome.

Apparently, the hijackers of one of the aircraft had to start killing flight attendents in the rear of the plane to "lure" the pilot (or first officer) out of the cockpit so they could get in. If the two compartments were physically separated, that "door" could not be opened and the hijackers would not have slammed an airliner into the ground.

I'll admit my first post was before a rigorous review, but wtf? I'm not submitting a fscking STC to the FAA, I'm just posting an idea.
New It should be.
He's spouting bullshit and insulting people who know more.

I don't have my ticket yet (like you do) but I do have a pretty damned good idea of what it takes to get an airworthiness certificate.

Not an AC - that's relatively easy. Certification in the first place. A mod like that will take *years* to make sure everything's right. And that's not counting all the different models of all the various planes. AND that there's no route *around* it (like through baggage and up into the cockpit, as most have a path).

And then lest you forget, that if that modification has the HINT of causing a problem, the lawsuits and liability that will ensue... so more testing, more time.

And that doesn't mean that THAT will be the solution.

If the two compartments were physically separated, that "door" could not be opened and the hijackers would not have slammed an airliner into the ground.

If - IF things happen like this again, then yes, you're right.

Of course, you'd be talking about the roughtly 20 flight crew members who had heart or other problems last year, and had to leave the flight deck, and who would have likely died, instead. Sure. NOW we can say "But that would be less".

Oh, and foreign aircraft - they don't have the same regulations. In fact, you and I can visit the *cockpit* of a lot of them, they're HAPPY to show it to you. Someone was just posting he was on a 747, and they LET HIM SIT IN THE RIGHT SEAT AND MAKE A TURN. Yeah, I'd love to do that, too.

And there are thousands of them in the skies over every day.

I'm not submitting a fscking STC to the FAA, I'm just posting an idea.

The idea, its fine. Its the attitude that "This is so simple, they could just DO it.". No, its not that simple, no, they can't just do it, and there are other problems - completely unaddressed that it would create. (imagine a loss of pressurization in the front cockpit (and much less time as a result to get masks on) and a plane going down. Or a lot of other things.

The problem is you CANNOT remove ALL RISK. At some point, the safeguards and the checking of the checks of the checks becomes very bad.

What happens if you put 100LL into a jet tank? One they won't use til they're airborne?

Ok, so how are we going to prevent that?

At some point you *do* have to *accept a risk*. And sometimes its easily pointed to and said "that was stupid". Usually by people who don't understand all of the balances that went into the decision.

Addison
New Had to reread my posts.
>>The idea, its fine. Its the attitude that "This is so simple, they could just DO it.

*I* sure as hell didn't mean to imply it was easy. Hell, NOTHING is easy to change on ANY airplane. The Weight and Balance calculations alone confuse me :-) [not really, just kidding].
New Nobody's saying it's easy.
Addison likes to put words in our mouths.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New You did.
Words in your mouth?

Hell, if I did that it would IMPROVE the intelligence of what you're saying.

Of course, I suppose it easier to just insult me than admit that your "solutions" are exactly what I called them as - kneejerk reactions.

(Something to think about: 747 has 3-4 flight crew. some flights have 2 of them. With 1 set of bunks so they can sleep. Now figure how to rejigger the plane to put that behind your armor. After all, its solutions you're offering, right?)

Its far far far harder than you're saying.

Because what you're saying is *exactly* "Don't have planes, then they can't crash".

So are you driving a car? What kind, who made what tradeoffs with it? What did they tradeoff with your house? Your office? C'mon, you're in for a penny, in for a pound, lets hear your expertise on all these risks, and how to obliviate them..

(The WTC was designed to survive a 707 crash, in theory. Common sense would have said they should have scaled up to planes that didn't exist then)

And while we're at it, let's sue the ass of whoever it was didn't start the ball rolling on this seven to ten years ago.

Lots of solutions Give the cockpit crew their own john in there. Have the backup crew sit in that section too. Just enlarge it a bit.

As for going back and checking on things, let's just do without. Or settle for closed-circuit cameras. It's a tradeoff, and our priorities need to be adjusted now.

Weight considerations? Now there's a false economy.

Sure sounds like you're calling them all idiots, and that its sure easy, to me.

Addison
New The WTC survived the crashes just fine.
They didn't survive the fires. Nothing could.

Listen to the [link|http://www.pbs.org/newshour/newshour_index.html|Real Audio] of the NewsHour segment last night entitled "Structural Questions". (I assume they'll have transcripts soon.)

The building was very strong and survived the impact just fine. The problem was the jet fuel fire which couldn't be put out in time. The steel softened and the upper stories collapsed, ram-rodding the rest of the building into the ground. If the steel hadn't softened, it would still be standing.

There are coatings they can put on steel to resist fires, and they're standard. But they're designed to resist a 3 hour office fire (paper, carpet, etc.), not a jet fuel fire. Nothing can stand up to that (at least nothing practical - you can't wrap every beam in 3 feet of asbestos or something...).

It wasn't the impact which did in the towers, it was the fire.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Doesn't change my point....
That is, according to marlowe, you have to account for *every possibility*. Now that we know you can fly an airliner into a building, surely you're negligent if you don't armor it and prepare so that it *won't* collapse.

Which is of course, absurd.

Right now, they're talking about banning knifes - even in resturants - in the airport, and on the plane. (hope you like grilled cheese when you fly, and dont' insist on the crust being cut off).

Which is starting to miss the forest for the trees, again.

You're absolutely right, at least I don't know that you're wrong.

The designers never really planned for THIS contingency - and at some point you *do* have to say "well, we can't cover that".

Addison
New Re: The WTC survived the crashes just fine.
If it collapsed, it didn't "survive the crashes just fine".

The designers just didn't take into account thousands (tens or hundreds?) of gallons of jet fuel poured into the structure. Unexpected side effects. As a programmer, I know all about that. This is a majorly ouch unexpected side effect.
That no man should scruple, or hesitate a moment to use arms in defense of so valuable a blessing [as freedom], on which all the good and evil of life depends, is clearly my opinion; yet arms ... should be the last resource. - George Washington
New All right. Maybe not so much words in my mouth as...
appallingly bad reading comprehension on your part.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New Not as bad as
Your apalling condecention towards all those people you want to go sue.

Now would you bother explaining about you car, and your house?

Or if you're going to run, stop insulting me.

Addison
     A simple question nobody seems to ask - (Andrew Grygus) - (73)
         Up to now... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
             Tasers might be a good idea. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                 Still useful to the wrong people... - (addison)
         Gong! - (gdaustin) - (15)
             I agree with your assessment... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                 Odd random thought - (drewk) - (1)
                     Luggage Laptops - (gdaustin)
                 Passenger planes - (Steven A S)
             You do realize... - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                 I don't realize that. - (addison)
                 YOU DO REALIZE... - (gdaustin) - (5)
                     Re: YOU DO REALIZE... - (addison) - (2)
                         actually both is better than one -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Praise the Lord and Pass the Powder - (cwbrenn)
                     YES I REALIZE THAT, THANKS FOR SHOUTING - (cwbrenn)
                     Something like that has happened once before - (bconnors)
             One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Steven A S) - (1)
                     Understood: free night-shades supplied on request_____:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Asked and answered many times. - (addison) - (42)
             Why do the cockpits have to be accessible from the cabin? - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                 Lots of reasons. - (addison) - (40)
                     Most of that could be fixed. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         Fixing is relative. - (addison) - (5)
                             Better a relative fix than an absolute abdication. - (marlowe) - (4)
                                 Don't have airplanes. Then they can't crash. -NT - (addison) - (3)
                                     A slightly more moderate version. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                         I'm glad you've decided to moderate some. - (addison) - (1)
                                             Concur on time. Ban everything except GA ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Lots of solutions - (marlowe) - (32)
                         There's *no* "justs" here. - (addison) - (31)
                             Seven to ten years? - (marlowe) - (1)
                                 Yep. - (addison)
                             OT: Kneejerk - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                 Not given the emergency. - (addison) - (11)
                                     It is weird. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Not really. - (addison) - (9)
                                             most arrests too... - (Simon_Jester)
                                             So, what do we do? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 No. - (addison) - (6)
                                                     You know something I don't? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         Just the NOTAM. - (addison) - (4)
                                                             Can you imagine the NOTAMs that'll be out shortly? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 That's not that unusual. - (addison) - (2)
                                                                     I know what flight following is. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                         OK - (addison)
                             Here's a question for you. - (marlowe) - (15)
                                 The answer is: - (addison) - (14)
                                     I blithely ignore nothing. Shame on you. - (marlowe) - (13)
                                         Emotions gentlemen.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                             But this is part of the problem. - (marlowe)
                                         There's no shame attached to me. - (addison) - (10)
                                             That's harsh. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                 It should be. - (addison) - (8)
                                                     Had to reread my posts. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                         Nobody's saying it's easy. - (marlowe) - (6)
                                                             You did. - (addison) - (5)
                                                                 The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                     Doesn't change my point.... - (addison)
                                                                     Re: The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (wharris2)
                                                                 All right. Maybe not so much words in my mouth as... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                                     Not as bad as - (addison)
         A few idiots with box openers who claimed to have a bomb... - (inthane-chan)
         They probably never would have got a chance to use it. - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Re squawk, this time. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Too much uncertain. - (mmoffitt)
         2 words... - (bepatient) - (6)
             double barreled no. 4 ? should stay in the hull -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                 Cockpits are really quite tough. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     Reminds me of a story... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         I remember that one - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Yup. - (inthane-chan)
                         We had "the chicken guy" - (Andrew Grygus)

When we check it out dem a brain it small. Seven time rise seven time will fall.
349 ms