IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They probably never would have got a chance to use it.
Each plane has a 4 digit transponder code (known as squawk) assigned by air traffic control. To quietly signal you've been hijacked, you change the squawk code to 7500.

Not one of the hijacked planes squawked 7500. Either the hijackers were wise to this move and explicitly prevented it or they didn't give the pilots time to make any moves at all.

Given the capabilities of modern autopilots, its quite feasible to lock out cockpit controls and force the plane into a holding pattern remotely, but there's all kinds of other scenarios where this would be worse. For instance, radio or other failure endangers the aircraft, activates the system, and renders the pilot unable to take action to save his passengers. That would be unacceptable should such a thing happen. Besides, you could always hack it somehow using manual flight controls like rewiring the hydraulic controls.

Its like the damn liferafts over-water flights have to carry. They take up all the overhead stowage and there's never been a case of an airliner sucessfully ditching. They always are completely destroyed on impact. But as a pilot friend explained to me, if a plane ever did ditch and there were no rafts, the public outcry would be frightening - so planes carry liferafts.
New Re squawk, this time.
Per article ref'd way above this thread (at least that writer's claim) - these were 'pilots' who presumably had trained on bin Laden's (known) 767 training sessions. They indeed reset transponders, IIRC: some just to eliminate altitude data - in other(?) - altered aircraft ID also.

No, the pilot wouldn't have 'helped them' - but he was likely already dead. We can deduce pretty easily that - no way was a 7500 gonna get dialed in (then or in any next). As with all such events: the subtleties are now Out there; at least this batch.

:[

Ashton
New Too much uncertain.
One story I read was that on one of the airplanes the terrorists began killing flight attendents in order to "lure the pilot" out of the cockpit. If that's true, then not squawking 7500 seems a bit odd, at least for that aircraft.
     A simple question nobody seems to ask - (Andrew Grygus) - (73)
         Up to now... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
             Tasers might be a good idea. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                 Still useful to the wrong people... - (addison)
         Gong! - (gdaustin) - (15)
             I agree with your assessment... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                 Odd random thought - (drewk) - (1)
                     Luggage Laptops - (gdaustin)
                 Passenger planes - (Steven A S)
             You do realize... - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                 I don't realize that. - (addison)
                 YOU DO REALIZE... - (gdaustin) - (5)
                     Re: YOU DO REALIZE... - (addison) - (2)
                         actually both is better than one -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Praise the Lord and Pass the Powder - (cwbrenn)
                     YES I REALIZE THAT, THANKS FOR SHOUTING - (cwbrenn)
                     Something like that has happened once before - (bconnors)
             One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Steven A S) - (1)
                     Understood: free night-shades supplied on request_____:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Asked and answered many times. - (addison) - (42)
             Why do the cockpits have to be accessible from the cabin? - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                 Lots of reasons. - (addison) - (40)
                     Most of that could be fixed. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         Fixing is relative. - (addison) - (5)
                             Better a relative fix than an absolute abdication. - (marlowe) - (4)
                                 Don't have airplanes. Then they can't crash. -NT - (addison) - (3)
                                     A slightly more moderate version. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                         I'm glad you've decided to moderate some. - (addison) - (1)
                                             Concur on time. Ban everything except GA ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Lots of solutions - (marlowe) - (32)
                         There's *no* "justs" here. - (addison) - (31)
                             Seven to ten years? - (marlowe) - (1)
                                 Yep. - (addison)
                             OT: Kneejerk - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                 Not given the emergency. - (addison) - (11)
                                     It is weird. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Not really. - (addison) - (9)
                                             most arrests too... - (Simon_Jester)
                                             So, what do we do? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 No. - (addison) - (6)
                                                     You know something I don't? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         Just the NOTAM. - (addison) - (4)
                                                             Can you imagine the NOTAMs that'll be out shortly? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 That's not that unusual. - (addison) - (2)
                                                                     I know what flight following is. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                         OK - (addison)
                             Here's a question for you. - (marlowe) - (15)
                                 The answer is: - (addison) - (14)
                                     I blithely ignore nothing. Shame on you. - (marlowe) - (13)
                                         Emotions gentlemen.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                             But this is part of the problem. - (marlowe)
                                         There's no shame attached to me. - (addison) - (10)
                                             That's harsh. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                 It should be. - (addison) - (8)
                                                     Had to reread my posts. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                         Nobody's saying it's easy. - (marlowe) - (6)
                                                             You did. - (addison) - (5)
                                                                 The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                     Doesn't change my point.... - (addison)
                                                                     Re: The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (wharris2)
                                                                 All right. Maybe not so much words in my mouth as... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                                     Not as bad as - (addison)
         A few idiots with box openers who claimed to have a bomb... - (inthane-chan)
         They probably never would have got a chance to use it. - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Re squawk, this time. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Too much uncertain. - (mmoffitt)
         2 words... - (bepatient) - (6)
             double barreled no. 4 ? should stay in the hull -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                 Cockpits are really quite tough. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     Reminds me of a story... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         I remember that one - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Yup. - (inthane-chan)
                         We had "the chicken guy" - (Andrew Grygus)

Cosmological belly bomber.
160 ms