IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm sick of pissing about Windows
We're stuck with it for now - we might as well make it livable.
-drl
New And that I do...
Most everything I am doing at customer sites right now *IS* Windows.

They are amazed at how much better the machines run once I fix (fix as well as possible) all the problems.

Now as for the making it work part, I have been for years... I keep having to, because "Every one is doing it!"... I just let them follow the others off the end of the unfinished bridge... unless they notice before they fall...

Now, *I* can do with what ever OS I am given (I say, recently modern, I say, I do there...) as long as I get an IP addr... I am good to go.

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
New Know whatcha mean..
I installed a super stereo system in a guy's vacation Mansioncabin, a stone place on Huntington Lake; steam tables in the modern kitchen, Weatherby Magnum on the wall - Marantz system for ... for ... Muzak.

Herb Alpert and Oklahoma, his first 2 records selected. Oh well, the tostadas & Margaritas on the deck, made up for a lot. When in Rheum, do as the rheumies do.

Ashton
New What do you mean WE white man?
I don't use it. I may not eat, but at least I get some sleep.

I've been sitting here laughing at my colleague try to print up his final bill during the exodus. This bill - which is essentially a 1 liner saying you owe me X, has to be done from an excel template - with most of the macros broken, half the fields locked, he can't get it to format european numbers on a per cell basis (its a global) and he and 1 other person wasted 2 hours trying to get it to print.

Productivity tools my ass. Parchment ink and quill would have been more productive.

I think that it's extraordinarily important that we in computer science keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful lot of fun. Of course, the paying customer got shafted every now and then, and after a while we began to take their complaints seriously. We began to feel as if we really were responsible for the successful, error-free perfect use of these machines. I don't think we are. I think we're responsible for stretching them, setting them off in new directions, and keeping fun in the house. I hope the field of computer science never loses its sense of fun. Above all, I hope we don't become missionaries. Don't feel as if you're Bible salesmen. The world has too many of those already. What you know about computing other people will learn. Don't feel as if the key to successful computing is only in your hands. What's in your hands, I think and hope, is intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you were first led up to it, that you can make it more.

--Alan Perlis
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:35:09 AM EDT
New Re: What do you mean WE white man?
And? He's an idiot. Windows is harder to make run right than UNIX, so it takes more skill.
-drl
New Of course most people just install it and forget about it
being properly configured. They shut off the PC without shutting down the OS first, and then wonder why they have missing DLL files and errors on their programs and hard drives. Also it could be that third party junk they install from the Internet that replaces the Windows KERNEL and other system files. That one cracks me up to no end, even Visual BASIC does that! The only reason you would need to upgrade an OS Kernel is during an OS Upgrade, not a software install. So Windows software piddles with the DLL files and hence you get DLL-Hell. But Windows 2000 and XP have fixed that, sort of.

But the main reasons why Windows is so popular is that:

#1 The Majority of the market uses it.

#2 Easy to install.

#3 Comes bundled with the PC.

#4 Managers seem to like the idea of only having one company to get a support contract with, which is why they choose all Microsoft products. If they chose Oracle, they would have to get a support contract with Oracle and Microsoft, so instead they choose SQL Server. Brilliant, or at least they think so!

#5 It runs a majority of the software out there, which happens to be, you guessed it, Windows based!

[link|http://pub75.ezboard.com/bantiiwethey|
New and improved, Chicken Delvits!]
New Sure, Blame the Victim

I think that it's extraordinarily important that we in computer science keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful lot of fun. Of course, the paying customer got shafted every now and then, and after a while we began to take their complaints seriously. We began to feel as if we really were responsible for the successful, error-free perfect use of these machines. I don't think we are. I think we're responsible for stretching them, setting them off in new directions, and keeping fun in the house. I hope the field of computer science never loses its sense of fun. Above all, I hope we don't become missionaries. Don't feel as if you're Bible salesmen. The world has too many of those already. What you know about computing other people will learn. Don't feel as if the key to successful computing is only in your hands. What's in your hands, I think and hope, is intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you were first led up to it, that you can make it more.

--Alan Perlis
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:36:42 AM EDT
New Er... we?
I've been running Linux as my desktop for about 6 or 7 years now. At work, AND home.

I have made it livable. I moved out. ;-)

So no, I'm not particularly interested in making Windows "livable", any more than I would be interested in fixing up a ratty tin-wall hunting shack as my residence.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New But if you had a job that depended on using it
and you had no choice in what to use, you'd support it right? I mean if your boss walked into your office today, and said "Scott, we are moving off of Linux, I want everything on Windows now." Would you do what he says, or would you just try to find another job? It is the finding another job part that is very hard to do. Not very many businesses are computer savvy enough to choose Linux over Windows.

When I do a job search for my area, for example, I get more hits for Visual BASIC and Windows than I do for C++ and Linux. I do get the oddball Linux and DB2 or Linux and Oracle positions, but I usually do not have enmough experience for them. Much as I'd like to have a Linux job, it just doesn't seem possible in this market in my area.

My next door neighbor is an OS/2 and Linux guy, but he has been out of work for two years. He hates Windows, won't even touch it, but he cannot find a job that requires OS/2 or Linux technologies. A friend of mine from college is a Netware guru, and he's been out of work for three years. Netware man! It used to be the hottest and most demanded Network around! Or how about my father, he used to work for Western Electric, Bell Labs 1ESS computers, but after they let him go when AT&T broke up, nobody else used 1ESS computers and the Baby Bells went to IBM to get their System/36 AS/400 or rather now iSeries. The IT Industry is tough when you don't have marketable skills that other companies want.

[link|http://pub75.ezboard.com/bantiiwethey|
New and improved, Chicken Delvits!]
     Okay, where do windows admin types go? - (inthane-chan) - (25)
         try the mailing list or google groups -NT - (boxley)
         Nothing equivalent... we just don't use those bad tools... - (folkert) - (11)
             Stop fucking bitching! Work the problem! -NT - (deSitter) - (10)
                 If I were Bitching... - (folkert) - (9)
                     I'm sick of pissing about Windows - (deSitter) - (8)
                         And that I do... - (folkert) - (1)
                             Know whatcha mean.. - (Ashton)
                         What do you mean WE white man? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                             Re: What do you mean WE white man? - (deSitter) - (2)
                                 Of course most people just install it and forget about it - (orion)
                                 Sure, Blame the Victim -NT - (tuberculosis)
                         Er... we? - (admin) - (1)
                             But if you had a job that depended on using it - (orion)
         Where to go for help. - (orion) - (3)
             Add one... - (screamer)
             Hee hee hee! - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Re: Hee hee hee! - (orion)
         Some clarification. - (inthane-chan) - (7)
             You DO have a subscription to MS Technet, right? - (Silverlock) - (3)
                 Yup. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                 If you can get them to spring... - (screamer) - (1)
                     Thanks for the link! -NT - (inthane-chan)
             Re; *whole* kit 'n caboodle. Do they pay enough for that? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 Yup. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     sounds like me - (SpiceWare)