IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Um-hmmmm
These seem to be showing up a *LOT* more recently.
I use IE at work (yeah, I suck, I'm evil, I know), and in the last week or two there have been a lot of these blank images. They seem to work in Mozilla (which doesn't suck, except that it really craps up bookmarks.)
This appears to be a relatively recent development and largely noticable on this site. I don't seem to have this problem on most other sites.
New It's Not IE
IE is good work. Remember MS absorbed Mosaic - IE is no more homegrown than SQL Server, or Exchange, or ... Because they were so behind on the Internet, it must have been the Mosaic people that set the tone for Windows desktop development based around the browser idea.

So the reason the image doesn't show can't just be blamed on IE. In fact I mentioned a long time ago that you have to plug in the width and height of the image file. I just automatically do this. As far as I'm concerned, that's not a bug, it's a feature - it would not be a good idea to put in a fixed image without giving its dimensions.
-drl
New Sure it is.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Indeed, the image files have the image dimensions in them.
For example, the image in question is in a .GIF file and is 455 pixels by 340 pixels. The only time one should have to provide the image dimensions is to override what's in the file. Otherwise, the information is redundant.
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New Who cares?
Given that 95 percent of the world is using IE, why ruin your day agonizing about it?

Aha! The Mozillites now have a way of sending stealth web images that will only be visible amongst the Bretheren!

Yet Master, still they complain! Why?

It is not to know, Grasshopper.
-drl
New Just install Mozilla
I just did that with my brother, he is going to try and give up on the IE habit. Pogo.com seems to play better on Mozilla but a bit sluggish at times. Pogo.com was bitching about his JVM being out of date, yet he had the IE 6.0 SP1 installed with the latest JVM. The Mozilla Java plug-in was installed and it had no problems running the pogo.com games.

[link|http://pub75.ezboard.com/bantiiwethey|
New and improved, Chicken Delvits!]
New Why?
I hate anything remotely related to Netscape. It's a complete POS browser.

To me IE is basically graphical Lynx. I don't really care about peripheral issues.

Moreover, IE shows definite progress without giving up on being backward compatible with earlier versions of itself. This again indicates that MS has good programmers working on IE. I'm sure most of them are experts at UNIX.

-drl
New {Sheesh} de S
That doesn't qualify even as Trolling 101-Remedial

(Note on cup, on a table in cafeteria)
I spit in this coffee.

(Appended message)
So did I.
New Apparently not.
progress without giving up on being backward compatible with earlier versions of itself.

Since this is *new* behaviour on IE's part, that breaks *existing* webpages, I don't believe this statement is strictly speaking, correct.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New There are other browsers out there you know
[link|http://www.opera.com|Opera] being another one of them.

Mozilla is nice, because Netscape open sourced it, so it is not really 100% Netscape written anymore. Netscape uses the Mozilla source to make the Netscape browser, but the Mozilla browser is pure, without all of those AOL Gee-gaws added onto it that cause crashes and system lockups. I like Mozilla because it is a pure browser, everything you need, not the silly Gee-Gaws that I don't want. If they could just add in NT/W2K Server login responses, ActiveX control support, and VBScript support it could kick IE's butt in the corporate areas. What was that Netscape plug-in that did that, Netcompass or something? Why can't they make a plug-in like that for Mozilla?

New I hate Opera
I've tried it before. It takes forever to get the fonts configured consistently and it just isn't worth it. When tight memory was an issue, it was a good alternative, because it's resource friendly - but when the most crippled machine I use has 72 megs of RAM, why bother?

In any case, I like IE and I am totally satisfied with its performance. I once irrationally joined in the chorus of boos for IE and used Netscape. I was wrong - IE has been the "better" browser since version 3.
-drl
New Got to be something else for you
have you tried Oracle's Power browser? :)

New I don't want anything else, get it?
It's a stupid browser. IE works fine.
-drl
New Was going to post something along those lines
Not about IE, necessarily (you know my opinion about that) - but that's the beauty of choices.

Figured you could speak for yourself, though...

*smile*

Imric's Tips for Living
New Got it
welcome to the IE Club then.

New Re: Indeed, the image files have the image dimensions..
What if the image is a PNG and you have no renderer for that? Or some new whizbang format? You still need to format the "missing" box. How, without knowing how big it should be?
-drl
New Red "X"
in that case you'll usually get that infamous red "x" instead of the image.

Making an IMG tag without dimensions is a standard HTML tag and anyone could make one of those. What if you don't know the dimensions of the image and you screw it up by guessing?

New A PNG file does have image dimensions.
[link|http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/spec/PNG-Chunks.html#C.IHDR|PNG image header.]
4.1.1. IHDR Image header

The IHDR chunk must appear FIRST. It contains:

Width: 4 bytes
Height: 4 bytes
Bit depth: 1 byte
Color type: 1 byte
Compression method: 1 byte
Filter method: 1 byte
Interlace method: 1 byte
Obviously one cannot display an unknown image file format, but an image file that does not include image dimensions isn't practical unless it is, by definition, fixed.
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New Well what about the DRL format?
I just created it, here's the proof:

[image|http://www.nytimes.com|||480|640]
-drl
New Re: Well, the DRL format get no respect! :)
Besides, it was not a proper file.
Alex

New Reason to set default image size in html
The primary reason to set the width and height in html is so that the browser doesn't have to reformat the page when it gets around to loading the image. I'm sure everybody has seen a web page come up text first, then flash and reformat the screen for each image. When the browser knows the expected size beforehand, it can format the text appropriately, and doesn't have to adjust it later. I believe browsers are getting better at handling this these days though.

That being said though, there are times when it's more of a bother than necessary, or the image size is not known ahead of time (say you're displaying random images, and the proper size for one image may stretch another grotesquely). It therefore shouldn't be a requirement.
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New More politics.
IE is cack. But, since you refuse to even try anything else (other than your beloved Konq), you don't realize this fact.

Oddly enough, I received a report from my parents concerning their website yesterday. Someone had written them to say that some of the images weren't showing up in IE. The same images show up perfectly in Mozilla.

And Mozilla is the piece of shit? This kind of tripe belongs in Oh Pun, Ross.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New What makes it cack?
1) It's the only browser I know that really does full screen. I don't need tabs, I like screen estate. Alt-tab does a fine job of going window to window.

2) It looks very nice.

3) Most websites are opimized for it (not my world, not my rules).

4) The toolbars can be stacked and made to waste as little space as possible.

5) The toolbars can be locked once you get them like you want them.

n) It's a browser, not a religion.
-drl
New Re: What makes it cack?
a) It has a tendency to crash and lock.
b) The javascript console is pathetic (which sucks for development).
c) No cookie control.
d) No tabs.
e) It has a tendency to crash and lock.
f) No popup control.
g) Non-compliant with standards.
42) IT ONLY RUNS ON WINDOWS (well, Mac too, but they're countering with Safari). (and it has a tendency to crash and lock)

1) fullscreen: meh. I run at high res. I don't need any more screen real estate.
2) nice: meh. Personal opinion only. Mozilla looks quite nice to me.
3) Very few websites that I want to visit don't run in Mozilla. Actually, I can't think of any. I use the microsoft.com knowledgebase from Mozilla as well. I run Flash, Java, .mov files, you name it, in Mozilla (and on Linux). And as you can see from the image issue being raised here, not everything runs in IE either.
4) see 1
5) see 1

n) Who cares? More politics on your part. I use Mozilla because it works the way I want it to work.
Regards,

-scott anderson

I've never had a crashlock with IE in the 21st century. What are you doing to crashlock it?

Is there no third party Windows Java console? I thought IBM had one. (If you're patient, some judge just ordered MS to ship Sun's Java environment. That must have a console, no?)

-drl
JAVASCRIPT, not JAVA.

I crash it regularly. *I* am not doing anything to crash it (blame the user, eh?). "Normal" operation is all it takes. Even if it didn't crash, it would still be cack.

I regularly have dozens of Mozilla windows up for weeks at a time.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I don't mean to nitpick here
but Microsoft calls it JScript and it emulates Javascript, it isn't even real Javascript, it just pretends to be.

I've had lockups and many bug reports back to Microsoft by just loading the darn browser or visiting the iwethey.org sites caused it to crash. So instead I use Mozilla, which doesn't lock up my system, and doesn't bug out on me with the iwethey.org websites, etc. Nothing in the iwethey.org websites that really knocks out IE, just bad luck on my part in having an unstable IE browser at times.

The only things that IE can do that Mozilla cannot:

#1 Log into an NT/W2K Server domain.

#2 Run VBScript

#3 Access ActiveX controls

#4 Active Desktop

But who really needs #4? Also usually unless you have a Corporate Intranet that needs them, who really needs #1, #2, and #3?

In normal operation over the last 3 years, I've had a vanishly small amount of trouble with Windows. Why? Developers can no longer replace system DLLs at will.

Does this mean Windows is suddenly the best OS ever? Of course not - it's still mostly a tangled spaghetti of impossibly complex dependencies, but at least it's now "as good as possible" given that it's Windows. I have essentially no problems with Windows of any kind, other than the occasional need to restart Explorer. I haven't had a blue screen in recent memory. I haven't lost any work. In fact the only really serious computer problem I've encountered in years happened when XFree destroyed my display.
-drl
New I'm happy YOU don't have problems with Windows.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I call you on #1.
Opera does full screen. Totally. Press F11. I've seen "full screen" mode in IE5 and it's not full screen.

You can also individually toggle the address bar, the progress bar, the scrollbars, the window bar* ("tabs"), the status bar and the toolbar. In fullscreen and in normal.

Wade.

* It also has an SDI mode if you want to use Alt+Tab to switch between windows instead of 1 and 2.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Have you seen Mozilla skins?
I use a very compact one - entire menu/location/bookmarks fit in the same space as location in the original skin. No loss of functionality at all.
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
New Re: Have you seen Mozilla skins?
In general, I don't use skins and strip them out ASAP when they are optional.

I never liked the Netscape toolbars, particularly the address bar, and that hasn't changed in Mozilla. In IE non-full screen, my menu, nav icons, and address field are all on one line.

BTW IE can be skinned. SBC Yahoo dialup provides a skin for IE. If you are into it, it looks very nice. F11 with auto-hide gives me the entire screen other than the scrollbar.

-drl
New View | Full Screen does something very simslar for Moz
and, if a skin does what I need, why not use it? It's not like it's going to crash or something :).
--

New F11 for Mozilla does it too...
Awesome. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - Grand-Master Artist in IT
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]   [link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@kQMsmc74S0Tw3KHQiRQmDem0gAIPAgM/edcurry/1//|ED'S GHOST SPEAKS!]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
These [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberstrategy-draft.html|Civilian General Orders], please memorize them.
"Questions" will be asked at safety checkpoints.
New Re: View | Full Screen does something very simslar for Moz
Skins/themes/eye candy in general are nice for a few minutes, then they get to be distracting.
-drl
New You don't understand
It's not a flashy artsy tanslucent piece of trash. It's a way to make UI elemnts on screen more compact. Very well done. [link|http://themes.mozdev.org/themes/littlemozilla.html|Here] is what I use.
--

New Sorry, a duplicate
--

Expand Edited by Arkadiy Jan. 17, 2003, 12:11:13 PM EST
\r\n

1) It's the only browser I know that really does full screen. I don't need\r\ntabs, I like screen estate. Alt-tab does a fine job of going window to\r\nwindow.

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

Given you apparently won't try much else, this isn't surprising.\r\nMozilla, Galeon, Konqueror, Phoenix, and Safari all support this.

\r\n\r\n

Mozilla and Galeon both allow widget elements to be visible or not:\r\nmenu, navigation bar, bookmarks bar, statusbar. On my 800x600 display,\r\nfullscreen mode with just tabs and bookmarks visible provides a\r\nreasonable amount of real estate.

\r\n\r\n

You repeatedly maintain that Netscape is shit. Well, 3.x was\r\nstrongly growth promoting. 4.x stank to high heaven. 6.x mouldered.\r\nThis codebase was then scrapped.

\r\n\r\n

The Netscape 7.x browser is a debasement of Mozilla, but it's worlds\r\nand worlds better than the old codebase. Mozilla itself is clear of\r\nmuch of the commercialization AOL's piled onto Netscape, and the\r\nGecko-based alternatives Galeon and Phoenix are driving\r\nuser-mandated features. These are slowly back-filtering into\r\nthe AOL/Netscape product.

\r\n\r\n

And this is the core concept behind Mozilla & co.: the\r\nincentives driving development are far more geared toward end\r\nusers, NOT "business partners" of AOL or\r\nMicrosoft, for whom a browser is little more than an eyeball aggregator\r\nand pipeline through which to shovel shit at you and your money to them.\r\nMore on this in my unwritten essay "You Get What They Pay For"

\r\n\r\n

Upshot: criticisms of Netscape through v 6.x has no bearing\r\non Mozilla. And Netscape itself is a debasement of Moz. For full\r\nfreedom, look at the derived products.

\r\n\r\n\r\n

\r\n
\r\n

2) It looks very nice.

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

Subjective. Frankly, the widgets give the the chills. I like\r\nGaleon's default Gtk view, and [link|http://www.deskmod.com/?show=showcat&cat_name=mozilla|Mozilla's\r\nskins] can be quite nice (or really distracting). I usually swap the\r\ndefault for lofi, which uses smaller icons.

\r\n\r\n

Frankly, I prefer my Galeon config. Emphasis on my: I use\r\na [link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/UserContentCSS|userContent.css\r\nstylesheet override] so that every site presents the same\r\nfonts, at the sizes I prefer. Makes for a uniformly pleasant reading\r\nexperience.

\r\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\r\n\r\n\r\n

\r\n
\r\n

3) Most websites are opimized for it (not my world, not my rules).

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

Most optimized websites are tuned to the environment the client, the\r\nboss, or in many cases, the graphic designer producing the chrome, uses.\r\nWith concommitant problems when deployed to the real world. There are\r\nfew site "optimizations" which preclude use of other browsers. Frankly,\r\nI prefer a browser which allows me to override site defaults --\r\nbanners; poorly contrasting, garish, or hard-to-read color schemes;\r\nplugins and embeds; background music; etc. Which MSIE pointedly\r\ndoesn't support.

\r\n\r\n

For the most part, this point boils down to "you see the site's font\r\nselections rather than yours" (um...and why should I want this?).\r\nOccasionally, for a very poorly designed site, efforts are made to\r\nexplicitly deny browsers matching (or failing to match) certain\r\ndescriptions. Which is why my w3m user-agent string reads:

\r\n\r\n
\r\nStop fucking obsessing over user-agent and code to W3C standards already.\r\n
\r\n\r\n

There was a time designers coded for Netscape 4.x. The clients ended\r\nup paying to fix that fuck-up too.

\r\n\r\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\r\n\r\n

\r\n
\r\n

4) The toolbars can be stacked and made to waste as little space as\r\npossible.

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

See above.

\r\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\r\n\r\n

\r\n
\r\n

5) The toolbars can be locked once you get them like you want them.

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

BFD. I can set my config-files read-only or handle this through\r\nversion control.

\r\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\r\n\r\n

\r\n
\r\n

n) It's a browser, not a religion.

\r\n
\r\n\r\n

...which then explains your religios gut-reaction against\r\nother browsers on what basis?

\r\n\r\n

IIRC, the scientific method had something to do with proposing,\r\nthen experimentally testing, a hypothesis.

\r\n\r\n\r\n

Strikes against MSIE?

\r\n\r\n
    \r\n
  1. It doesn't run on my platform of choice (GNU/Linux).
  2. \r\n
  3. No tabs.
  4. \r\n
  5. No cookie control. Galeon puts this in a 1st layer menu, accessible\r\nvia hotkey.
  6. \r\n
  7. No animation control. Galeon puts this in a 1st layer menu,\r\naccessible via hotkey.
  8. \r\n
  9. Very awkward Java/Javascript control. Galeon puts this in a 1st\r\nlayer menu, accessible via hotkey.
  10. \r\n
  11. Horribly bookmarks control. Galeon absolutely shines in this\r\ndepartment. The personal Portal page is also slick.
  12. \r\n
  13. No User-defineable stylesheets, including default stylesheets which\r\noverride / specify rendering preferences over what the site\r\nsays. Galeon provides this, and puts the control in a 2nd layer menu\r\nwhich can be torn off for ready access.
  14. \r\n
  15. No popup control. Readily accessible in Galeon's 'Preferences'\r\ndialog.
  16. \r\n
  17. It spies on you. Searches directed to MSN by default. No thanks.
  18. \r\n
\r\n
--\r\n
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]\r\n
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]\r\n
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?\r\n
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.\r\n
\r\n
   Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.\r\n[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html]\r\n
New Yeah, IE is a piece of work.
I am a Vast Right Wing Conspiracy of one.
Where's Abdul Rahman Yasin?
The reason I don't budge is I'm waiting for you to catch up.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfire...arlowe/index.html]
[link|http://pascal.rockford.com:8888/SSK@jbf~W~x49RjZfyJwplqwurpNmg0PAgM/marlowe//|http://pascal.rockfo...mg0PAgM/marlowe//]
     Respect, dammit! - (marlowe) - (45)
         doesn't show in IE - (SpiceWare) - (2)
             Oh, OK - (deSitter)
             IE, img and empty height/width tags (new thread) - (altmann)
         Respect for what??? - (lincoln) - (41)
             IE bug, or something - (SpiceWare) - (39)
                 Um-hmmmm - (hnick) - (38)
                     It's Not IE - (deSitter) - (37)
                         Sure it is. -NT - (imric) - (18)
                             Indeed, the image files have the image dimensions in them. - (a6l6e6x) - (17)
                                 Who cares? - (deSitter) - (10)
                                     Just install Mozilla - (orion) - (9)
                                         Why? - (deSitter) - (8)
                                             {Sheesh} de S - (Ashton)
                                             Apparently not. - (imric)
                                             There are other browsers out there you know - (orion) - (5)
                                                 I hate Opera - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                     Got to be something else for you - (orion) - (3)
                                                         I don't want anything else, get it? - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                             Was going to post something along those lines - (imric)
                                                             Got it - (orion)
                                 Re: Indeed, the image files have the image dimensions.. - (deSitter) - (4)
                                     Red "X" - (orion)
                                     A PNG file does have image dimensions. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                         Well what about the DRL format? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                             Re: Well, the DRL format get no respect! :) - (a6l6e6x)
                                 Reason to set default image size in html - (Steven A S)
                         More politics. - (admin) - (16)
                             What makes it cack? - (deSitter) - (15)
                                 Re: What makes it cack? - (admin) - (5)
                                     Re: What makes it cack? - (deSitter) - (4)
                                         Re: What makes it cack? - (admin) - (3)
                                             I don't mean to nitpick here - (orion)
                                             Re: What makes it cack? - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 I'm happy YOU don't have problems with Windows. -NT - (admin)
                                 I call you on #1. - (static)
                                 Have you seen Mozilla skins? - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                     Re: Have you seen Mozilla skins? - (deSitter) - (5)
                                         View | Full Screen does something very simslar for Moz - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                             F11 for Mozilla does it too... - (folkert)
                                             Re: View | Full Screen does something very simslar for Moz - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 You don't understand - (Arkadiy)
                                         Sorry, a duplicate -NT - (Arkadiy)
                                 Re: What makes it cack? - (kmself)
                         Yeah, IE is a piece of work. -NT - (marlowe)
             Think South Park and the time Cartman was a police officer - (orion)

CFOC!
414 ms