Arizona: But It's A Dry Heat

Arkansas: Literacy Ain't Everything

California: By 30, Our Women Have More Plastic Than Your Honda

Colorado: If You Don't Ski, Don't Bother

Connecticut: Like Massachusetts, Only The Kennedy's Don't Own It Yet

Delaware: We Really Do Like The Chemicals In Our Water

Florida: Ask Us About Our Grandkids

Georgia: We Put The "Fun" In Fundamentalist Extremism

Hawaii: Haka Tiki Mou Sha'ami Leeki Toru (Death To Mainland Scum, Leave Your Money)

Idaho: More Than Just Potatoes ... Well Okay, We're Not, But The Potatoes Sure Are Real Good

Illinois: Please Don't Pronounce the "S"

Indiana: 2 Billion Years Tidal Wave Free

Iowa: Hottest and coldest State in the Union.

Kansas: First Of The Rectangle States

Kentucky: Five Million People; Fifteen Last Names

Louisiana: We're Not ALL Drunk Cajun Wackos.

Maine: We're Really Cold, But We Have Cheap Lobster

Maryland: If You Can Dream It, We Can Tax It

Massachusetts: Our Taxes Are Lower Than Sweden's

Michigan: First Line Of Defense From The Canadians

Minnesota: 10,000 Lakes... And 10,000,000,000,000 Mosquitoes

Mississippi: Come And Feel Better About Your Own State

Missouri: Your Federal Flood Relief Tax Dollars At Work

Montana: Land Of The Big Sky, The Unabomber and very little else

Nebraska: Ask About Our State Motto Contest

Nevada: Hookers and Poker!

New Hampshire: Go Away And Leave Us Alone

New Jersey: You Want A ##$%##! Motto? I Got Yer ##$%##! Motto Right Here!

New Mexico: Lizards Make Excellent pets

New York: You Have The Right To Remain Silent, You Have The Right To an Attorney...

North Carolina: Tobacco Is A Vegetable

North Dakota: We Really Are One Of The 50 States!

Ohio: At Least We're Not Michigan

Oklahoma: Like The Play, Only No Singing

Oregon: Spotted Owl... It's What's For Dinner

Pennsylvania: Cook With Coal

Rhode Island: We're Not REALLY An Island

South Carolina: Remember The Civil War? We Didn't Actually Surrender

South Dakota: Closer Than North Dakota

Tennessee: The Educashun State

Texas: Si' Hablo Ingles (Yes, I Speak English)

Utah: Our Jesus Is Better Than Your Jesus

Vermont: Yep

Virginia: Who Says Government Stiffs And Slackjaw Yokels Don't Mix?

Washington: Help! We're Overrun By Nerds And Slackers!

Washington, D.C.: Wanna Be Mayor?

West Virginia: One Big Happy Family... Really!

Wisconsin: Come Cut The Cheese

Wyoming: Where Men Are Men... and the sheep are scared

------------

Edited Texas, as Ing'les might mean something [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=74625|else]. :)
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Jan. 15, 2003, 01:48:06 PM EST
New They got Vermont wrong
ah-Yup!

Trust me, I know. :-)

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build
communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New As well as Washington.
s/nerds and slackers/Californians

Oh wait, no difference there, never mind...
Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.
New I've heard of the Californication of Oregon and Washington.
Alex

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."\t-- Mark Twain
New Now then you two
(One 'living??' within 50 mi of The Beast and its mind-numbing neural radiation - in perpetual rain - is talkin bout Location Location Location ??)

Like that other shibboleth, The Murican Peepul - and bein the 4th? 5th largest Econ-omee inna worl:

We be a mini-version of the entire enchilada: Orange County for Our Rednecks n'Repos + Berkeley for Unix and [mainly for..] Pissin Off the Fright-Wingers in the other 49 -- to where's they get apoplexy, just thinkin about Peace and other dirty words.. OK induced apoplexy's not a terribly effective exterminant, but WTF.

Keep dissin California - and y'all'll have Nothin but them rutabagas to eat durin the winter - we'll just sell our produce to China and N. Korea (A Cuke for a Nuke). And no more o' yer fav solitary entertainments from them video sets, if'n ya know what I mean and I think ya do, Bunky -

California Sex is Better
Know WHY they ain't got no Bikini lines on that tan?
New Hey now!
You guys inflicted Microsoft on us - Billy 'n Bally aren't exactly natives, and I can't help but imagine that most M$ers started off down in Silly Valley...

Besides, I personally *LIKE* nerds and slackers. They're much more friendly than the anal retentive types you guys offloaded on us...
Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.
New ah-Yup!
Alex

New The "Go Home" State
-drl
New They got Missouri wrong
"Your Federal Flood Relief Tax Dollars At Work" that is the St. Charles area where they aren't smart enough to move away from a flood plane and wonder why flood insurance has gone up in their areas. Every time it rains, the route to St. Charles to St. Louis gets blocked by water and unless you own a boat or have a "Duck" or a car that floats, you cannot get through without taking alternative routes that take longer. But also the Illinois areas near the Mississippi as well.

Anyway Missouri should have been one of the following:

"Meet our new state tree, the orange traffic construction barrel!"

"St. Louis, Kanasas City, Branson, Hanibal, that's all we got besides farmlands!"

"Home of the rolling stop and other traffic oddities."

"We never compromise!"

"Site of many civil war battles over the control of our iron, copper, and other valuables. Otherwise neither the North nor the South would have bothered."

"One giant mudball, but a fun mudball!"

"The 'Show me your *ss' state." ;)

[link|http://pub75.ezboard.com/bantiiwethey|
New and improved, Chicken Delvits!]
New .
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter Jan. 15, 2003, 09:55:46 AM EST
New The "Show me how to drive" state
The state mascot is the crash test dummy.
-drl
New Re: The "Show me how to drive" state
Now that, is funny.

But still, Missourians are much better drivers than those driving in Bangkok Thailand. If you ever been to there, you will see all kinds of Daredevil stunts to try and get ahead of the other cars. Here they just cut you off in feet, there it is a matter of millimeters. Also apparently giving the finger also gives you the right of way here. :)

New There are rules you know!
[link|http://members.tripod.com/cable4096/stldrivers.html|http://members.tripo...6/stldrivers.html]

1. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange construction barrels.

2. Turn signals are clues as to your next move. A real St. Louis driver never uses them.

3. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you or the space will be filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

4. Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane change is considered "going with the flow."

5. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

6. Never get in the way of a older car that needs extensive body work. Missouri is a no-fault insurance state and the other guy doesn\ufffdt have anything to lose.

7. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in giving a nice relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it\ufffds a chance to stretch your legs.

8. Construction signs tell you about road closures immediately after you pass the last exit before the traffic begins to back up.

9. The new electronic traffic warning system signs are not there to provide useful information. They are only there to make St. Louis look high-tech and to distract you from seeing the St Louis County police car parked in the median.

10. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It\ufffds a good way to scare people entering the highway.

11. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and apparently not enforceable in the metro area during rush hour.

12. Just because you\ufffdre in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn\ufffdt mean that a St Louis driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn\ufffdt think he can go faster in your spot.

13. Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush-hour traffic in St Louis.

14. Always slow down and be a lookee-loo when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire.

15. Throwing litter on the roads adds variety to the landscape, keeps the existing litter from getting lonely and gives Adopt-a-highway crews something to clean up.

16. Everybody thinks their vehicle is better than yours, (especially pickup truck drivers with stickers of Calvin peeing on a Ford, Dodge or Chevy logo.)

17. Learn to swerve abruptly. St Louis is the home of high-speed slalom driving thanks to MoDOT (Missouri Dept. of Transportation), which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers\ufffd reflexes and keep them on their toes.

18. It is traditional in St Louis to honk your horn at cars that don\ufffdt move the instant the light changes.

19. Seeking eye contact with another driver revokes your right of way.

20. Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left before proceeding.

21. Heavy snow, ice, fog, and rain are no reasons to change any of the previously listed rules. These weather conditions are God\ufffds way of ensuring a natural selection process for body shops, junkyards, and new vehicle sales. After all, we do have our priorities.

22. Remember that the goal of every St Louis driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.

23. Real St. Louis women drivers can put on pantyhose and apply eye makeup at 75 miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Real St. Louis men drivers can remove pantyhose and a bra at 75 miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

New Hey, watch that accent
Texas: Si' Hablo Ing'les (Yes, I Speak English)

If that's an accent mark after the 'g' in Ingles and it's meant to show emphasis on the *first* syllable, it translates as "Yes, I speak testicles" in quite a large part of Mexico.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Thanks, will edit.
Alex

New Also, Canada - "We're not all Lumberjacks."
Alex

New "and we're not all ok"

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New "Yes you are!" *WHAM!*
New Alaska: We dont care how you did it outside!!!
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

You think that you can trust the government to look after your rights? ask an Indian
New Where is the state of New Hampster?
Right next to the state of Vermin.
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
     Lesser Known State Mottos - (a6l6e6x) - (19)
         They got Vermont wrong - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             As well as Washington. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 I've heard of the Californication of Oregon and Washington. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Now then you two - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Hey now! - (inthane-chan)
             ah-Yup! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             The "Go Home" State -NT - (deSitter)
         They got Missouri wrong - (orion) - (4)
             . -NT - (deSitter)
             The "Show me how to drive" state - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Re: The "Show me how to drive" state - (orion)
                 There are rules you know! - (orion)
         Hey, watch that accent - (tseliot) - (1)
             Thanks, will edit. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Also, Canada - "We're not all Lumberjacks." -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             "and we're not all ok" -NT - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 "Yes you are!" *WHAM!* -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Alaska: We dont care how you did it outside!!! -NT - (boxley)
         Where is the state of New Hampster? - (Arkadiy)

Yes, m'lord.
112 ms