IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I understand what you're saying.
Honestly I do.

But the reality of the situation is very simple. The top 10% pay 60%...the top 25% pay 84% etc...the math was there.

Saying this isn't the case is misrepresenting reality. Thats the way the current system works. This is not a question of whether this is good or bad. It just is.

And...in order to make an impact to the economy, >real< money has to shift. 100 million isn't going to do anything to move a ten trillion dollar economy.

And so, any >breaks< given on income taxes that will be enough to have any impact are >necessarily< going to favor the richest xxx% of the population....simply because they are the ones who are paying. Income taxes changes cannot benefit the poor...the bottom 40% don't even pay. How can you reduce >their< burden any more.

And while the analogy shows the top guy just leaving the table, which isn't a real option at this point, the effect of hammering them over and over will make them shelter income, or not bother to earn it at all. Another example of this extreme are the "dissappearing" businessmen in Atlas Shrugged. Sooner or later it isn't worth it any longer...and the effect of these men quitting impact far more people than just themselves.

England and several other European countries see this all of the time. Prize athletes, F1 drivers, entertainers...the super wealthy...[link|http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1997/swimsuit/karen/monaco/monaco.html|move to Monaco] to avoid taxes. If it gets much worse here...you might start seeing the same thing...and in some cases...it probably already does.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Right, the rich will shelter income
The first stop to doing that is to create nice income shelters of course. Like the proposed dividend giveaway.

BTW did you know that above a fairly low national average income the single largest factor in lifespan is income disparity? Apparently large disparities cause stress, and stress very literally kills. Just noting that while trickle-down has not been proven to make the masses better off, it does seem to put them out of their misery sooner.

It is not entirely a coincidence that the US has one of the lowest life expectancies in the industrialized world...

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build
communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Zoooom.. the sound of - -
New Chuckle... I think we agree.
although I don't think the economy is going to get stimulated by a tax cut. (I think the economy follows a cycle regardless of what the goverment or others do).

But, politically speaking, the President has to try to get the economy moving and a tax cut (of a substantial amount) is the only way to do it and it's going to favor the highest earners.
     Nice tax analogy - (SpiceWare) - (36)
         Thats it in a nutshell. -NT - (bepatient)
         Idiotic Analogy - (deSitter) - (14)
             What algebra, - (bepatient) - (13)
                 Well...if we do some algerbra...we can figure out the - (Simon_Jester) - (12)
                     Your comparing the wrong things. - (bepatient) - (11)
                         No I'm not... - (Simon_Jester) - (6)
                             You don't understand. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                 Nice misdirection. - (bepatient)
                             I understand what you're saying. - (bepatient) - (3)
                                 Right, the rich will shelter income - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Zoooom.. the sound of - - -NT - (Ashton)
                                 Chuckle... I think we agree. - (Simon_Jester)
                         Let me translate that - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             Nothing objectionable there. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                 The translation might be slightly loose... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     Fair enough -NT - (bepatient)
         Now after dinner they go to a bar - (boxley)
         Close - (Steve Lowe)
         You REALLY don't understand taxes. - (Brandioch) - (11)
             This is true - (deSitter) - (3)
                 Then do it. - (bepatient)
                 Exactly. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                     And the counter... - (bepatient)
             Focus on Federal. - (bepatient) - (6)
                 federal sales tax on gas cigs alcohol telecommunications etc -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                     Certain items...sure. - (bepatient)
                     Those aren't "taxes", they're "user fees" - (lincoln) - (3)
                         and sales tax on food is also a user fee? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                             Fed? Food? -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 state not fed except for ag subsidies which are levied - (boxley)
         Not quite - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Ahh... - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Yabut here's an even Better Analysis - by the same guy (new thread) - (Ashton)
         Yeah, but whats missing - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Actually, if you're the rich guy... - (Simon_Jester)
         A Buzzflash response - (Silverlock)

This is immediately dreadful.
125 ms