IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What advance in capabilities?
Other than intelligence, humans are remarkable in:

1) Manual dexterity - unless compared to other primates.
2) Color vision
3) extreme endurance in a patheticaly slow run

None of which seems to me to require the hardware capabilities that make Einstein and Mozart possible.

Granted, binocular color vision requires some rather major signal processing capabilities. But not enough to explain a brain that big. And what does that signal processing buy you in the wild? Particularly when driven by relatively weak eyes and ineffective predatory capabilities. A human without tools is a lousy enough predator that binocular vision is an almost complete waste. Prey that is slow enough and close enough that you or I can kill it without tools we can find with one eye. We'd get lots more milage, as predators, out of better fingernails.

Actualy, there is one raw survival capability that a big brain could give a non-tool-user: orienteering. A smart critter can go places - and get back - better than one that is only able to outsmart a yam and realize a large predator is trouble. But there are lots of ways to develope that capability without going to the trouble of a brain size large enough to commonly kill a mother in the birth process.

No, I'm pretty sure that our species has big brains for, well, politics. That they are also good for arts and sciences is a happy accident.

----
Whatever
New You're mixing 2 discussions here...
First, what was driving brain size before humans. My answer - things like stereo color vision and echolocation and dexterity. Kind of hard to live in trees without binocular vision. Easy to miss a branch.

Second, whether another wave of brain size increase, between monkeys and humans provided humans with some survival advantages. My answer is yes, see a post above.
--

We have only 2 things to worry about: That
things will never get back to normal, and that they already have.
     Pennsylvania passes "Pledge" bill - (Silverlock) - (61)
         Makes me even prouder of my daughter. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             Gotta say this - (Silverlock)
             Now if that story could travel the grapevine - (Ashton)
         Nail #666013 in the Coffin. - (Ashton) - (57)
             And the previous administration? - (wharris2)
             What if they take the.. - (bepatient) - (55)
                 Just out of curiosity: Would that do it for you? -NT - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     I don't see another... - (bepatient) - (8)
                         The act of protesting - (imric) - (1)
                             I suppose that - (bepatient)
                         I'd agree 'over-reaction' if.. - (Ashton)
                         Over reaction? - (deSitter)
                         I agree - (Silverlock) - (2)
                             Sure. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Possibly it is more significant now because of 'conditions' - (Ashton)
                         Never mind the constitution... - (CRConrad)
                 Here's my disagreement. - (inthane-chan) - (42)
                     Precisamente, Thane - (Ashton)
                     Ditto and more. - (Brandioch) - (40)
                         Mere slothful thought + partisan Bible-thumping - I guess -NT - (Ashton) - (39)
                             I'd guess similar. - (Brandioch) - (38)
                                 Both you and Ashton are reacting to the wrong thing - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                     I don't think so. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                         Damn - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                             My objection. - (Brandioch)
                                     Oh,...the irony... - (jb4)
                                 A shameless barter.. - (Ashton) - (32)
                                     You got it. - (Brandioch) - (31)
                                         Tell ya what I find rilly *discouraging* about this thread - (Ashton) - (30)
                                             Ashton, are you arguing against automatic citizenship? - (wharris2) - (11)
                                                 Ah, the traditional response. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Believe in being as honest with my gov as they are with me\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 where in the hell do you pledge alegiance to "someone"? - (boxley) - (8)
                                                     What is the pledge? - (wharris2) - (7)
                                                         Sorry my constitution doesnt deport citizens - (boxley)
                                                         Why thats simple... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                             React early - or watch attention span wane via next Warz ads -NT - (Ashton)
                                                             Re: Why thats simple... - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                 that was the Roman model - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                     Never had the option, here - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                         that is the problem with military service being a prereq - (boxley)
                                             Because those oaths have worked. - (Brandioch) - (17)
                                                 nit when did we ever breed for intelligence after slavery - (boxley) - (16)
                                                     Many years ago. - (Brandioch) - (15)
                                                         The link was broken way before that - (mhuber) - (14)
                                                             Even more basic - - (Ashton)
                                                             Evolution. - (Another Scott)
                                                             You can't be serious, can you? - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                                                 100% serious. - (mhuber) - (3)
                                                                     In that huge span - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                         What advance in capabilities? - (mhuber) - (1)
                                                                             You're mixing 2 discussions here... - (Arkadiy)
                                                             Can't find a reference right now... - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                                 are you implying meateaters are smarter - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                     Neither - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                         Gould questioned that - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                                                                             If he wrote about it... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                 Overstated the case - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                                                                     That fits my recollection as well :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                 Basically, No - (jb4) - (1)
                     Yes - free speech is also the right to remain silent. -NT - (Ashton)

import lrpdisms
78 ms