IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New BEST by what measurement?
Please cite source.
I am out of the country for the duration of the Bush administration.
Please leave a message and I'll get back to you when democracy returns.
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Nov. 26, 2002, 09:04:34 AM EST
New No source needed.
"Best" as is "you couldn't name any country that offered better".
New France.
Refute it with facts.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New He wouldnt reply to Mexico he doesnt have any facts
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

GRAYBOAR-Strangleur Extraodinaire
"Have Thumbs Will Travel"
Customised Asphyxiations
No Gullet Too Big, No Weasand Too small
My Motto Satisfaction Garoteed, or the Chokes on Me!
Eric Flint
New Pick pick pick :-)

New One more time.
Are you saying that Mexico has better health care than the US?
New Definitions and Metrics.
Hi Brandioch and All,

Until "better" and "health care" are defined, you folks are going to go round and round. It's not (just) a matter of average versus best particular outcome for a particular person.

Average pre-natal care is statistically better in many other countries than in the US. But there are only a few countries that can have septuplets or even octuplets survive (for at least a while) and the US is one of them. Also, those who have nearly infinite resources (e.g. King Hussein of Jordan) commonly come to the US for terminal cancer care, etc. (though I don't know that we'd hear about it if they went to Switzerland instead). So it the US system bad or good? You can't know until the terms are defined.

Somebody needs to pick a metric or few. How about:

1) Female life expectancy at [link|http://www.bartleby.com/151/a29.html|birth] in 2001

US = 80.05 y, UK = 80.66 y, France = 83.01 y, Switzerland = 82.76 y, Cuba = 78.94 y, Canada = 83.13 y, Finland = 81.36 y, China = 73.59 y, Australia = 82.87 y, Japan = 84.15 y, etc.

2) Life expectancy at 85 in the [link|http://research.aarp.org/econ/b50_life_expectancy.pdf|US] in 1997 (PDF) - 6.60 years. (I can't find any comparable data for other countries.)

3) The US ranks 24th according to the [link|http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthylife.html|WHO Healthy Life Expectancy] ranking of 2000 - Japan is 1st.

Comparing those three figures would give some information about 1) the general nutrition/health of the young women in the population, 2) the ability of the health care system to keep the average elderly person alive, and 3) the ability of the society to prolong the general health of its citizens. Wouldn't that be a simple metric for comparing the US to other countries?

At least there'd be something concrete to argue about then! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New No, I think you've phrased it correctly.
Average pre-natal care is statistically better in many other countries than in the US.
Yep.

But there are only a few countries that can have septuplets or even octuplets survive (for at least a while) and the US is one of them.
Yep.

Also, those who have nearly infinite resources (e.g. King Hussein of Jordan) commonly come to the US for terminal cancer care, etc. (though I don't know that we'd hear about it if they went to Switzerland instead).
When you can afford to send the very best.

But your examples go back to averages. And averages aren't a measure of what is best.

When something goes wrong, and you have unlimited resources, where do you go?

That is BEST.
New Silly definition of BEST
"When something goes wrong, and you have unlimited resources, where do you go?"

Hmm.

Weird definition.

Certainly it is not best for me. Nor is it (I suspect) for you.

Our best bet would be to go somewhere where our resources would buy more care per Euro.

Which is not US for anyone with *limited* resources (which is practically everybody).

Technology is one thing - knowledge and know how are something else again.

Illustrative joke follows:

Man suffers from debilitating headaches and visits doctor after doctor - nothing seems to work - pills work for a short while but he can't function. Finally one doctor tells him there is a cure - but its rather drastic. The doctor concludes that his testicles are pressing against the base of his spine and causing the headaches. Being a crack surgeon, he recommends removal of the testicles. The guy is desperate and agrees.

On the way back from the hospital, his head is clear for the first time in months and he's feeling sort of optimistic. He passes a fine clothing store and decides to get a new suit to celebrate.

The guy in the store sizes him up by eyeball and says - you look like a 44 long - he grabs a jacket off the rack and guy slips it on. Its perfect! Pants? Sure - inseam is about a 34 he guesses, with a 36 waist - tries em on. Amazing - like custom made! Shirt? Yeah - perfect fit first time? Shoes? Why not - you look like an 11 - exactly so! The guy never guesses wrong. Finally he says - you've gone the whole way - how about some new underwear? "Great" the guys says - "I'd guess 38s". The guy smiles and shakes his head - nope, sorry, I take a 34. The salesman says that can't be right. But the guy insists - "I've worn a 34 since high school".

Finally in exasperation the salesman says - "You can't wear a 34. A 34 would press your testicles hard up against the base of your spine and give you one HELL of a headache!"

Its a silly joke, but it contains a grain of truth. The technology-focused doctor never thought about a lower tech solution. I suspect, that US doctors are all overly dependent on tech.

Anyhow, if I'm terminally ill - the US is about last on my list of places to get treated. I'd rather go somewhere that won't bankrupt me while they kill me.
New No, that is the definition of "best".
Not "what you can afford" which seems to be where you're heading with this.

If you can't afford the best, it is still the best.

Our best bet would be to go somewhere where our resources would buy more care per Euro.

So, when WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD isn't good enough....

You go somewhere where you can afford BETTER treatment.

Now, if you have UNLIMITED resources, then you are NOT limited by what you can afford.
New Hardly.
That is a definition of "best" in crisis intervention only.

Wouldn't it be >better< to not allow the healthcare issues get to that crisis?

New All parts of the elephant
But I grow weary - his definitions is wacked and I can't help him apparently.

I'm sure the view from his side of the argument is equally frustrating.

I (and you I think) take the position that the best care would keep a scratch from turning into massive sepsis by effective use of low tech (and cheap) means (basic cleansing, clean dressings, observation). This is the best outcome and hence the best care.

His view is, once you've got massive sepsis, the US doctors are more likely to pull you back from the brink of death (most likely with amputation of the affected limb, fancy blood filters, and extensive and elaborate drug regimes) than anyone else. I don't call that good care though and its only a tiny part of the picture. At one single data point, there is a spike in the graph. If you are really screwed up, certain stars might be able to do better than anyone else.

I think its fallacious though. If Michael Jordan came to France to play basketball professionally, does that mean that France is now the best in basketball because he brings a million coconuts with him? Er.... you know what I mean.

So I think this argument is exhausted and we just don't agree on what "best" is.

Next topic.
New Because my definition does not agree with your opinion....
When you start calculating the AVERAGE of anything, then you're taking the AVERAGE.

Average life expectency, etc.

The average is not the best.

You can have the highest average. But that isn't the best.
New Lighten up
The US's health system may have the "best" in some areas. Not all. Stop trying to infer that since we have the best in some aspect, we have the best in all. A cheap rhetorical device.
Why should we ask our military to die for cheap oil when the rest of us aren't even being asked to get better mileage?
-[link|http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=14107|Molly Ivins]
New never let a cheap rhetorical device hold you back :-)
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

Opera was the television of the nineteenth century:loud, vulgar and garish with plots that could only be called infantile. "Pendergast"
New He never does ;-)

New yes

Customised Asphyxiations
Eric Flint
New And Mexico's equivalent to the Mayo Clinics is.....?
New UNAM Mexico City where Americans go to do post grad tropical
and cardiac,
thanx,
bill

Customised Asphyxiations
Eric Flint
New Heh - once 'made rounds' there
complete with white coat, with one Dr. Sodi Pallares (isch\ufffdmic heart disease expert - met in connection with a trip with friend, to a TJ clinic). His bedside manner with an elderly patient was.. like the rumored old days here - before Corporate.

I couldn't extrapolate from such little direct experience, of course - but that woman had little/no? money, and I liked what I observed elsewhere. This was over a decade ago - and ideas in his book weren't even being examined here. I checked, on return.

(When you haven't money to burn - you Have to work smart. And like Mexican mechanics do, so apparently do the Doctors) Mex. mechanics actually know how to FIX things, how to improvise - not just keep putting in new parts until something sorta seems to work. (I know that too - via a Saab experience)

Ashton
Viva M\ufffdxico!
New It looks good.
But I'm not finding anything saying it is the best.

Got any references?
New Its your assertion, you support it.
What country developed and did the first heart transplant?
What country pioneered lasik and showed us how to do it?
What nationality are most american emergency room docs?
Who developed xray technology?
where can I get lasik for 350USD per eye including hotel stay?
who has the most money for r&d in medical technology? The US. One out of 5 aint bad.
etc,
thanx,
bill

Customised Asphyxiations
Eric Flint
     Tort reform - (Silverlock) - (80)
         thats tart reform not tort reform -NT - (boxley)
         And if I... - (bepatient) - (75)
             Ooooh! falling off chair - (wharris2)
             Methinks the gentleman doth protest too much - (Ashton) - (52)
                 sorry about you perception of Fords - (boxley)
                 Methinks you missed the important one... - (bepatient) - (50)
                     No problem if the commune's infirmary is used. :) - (a6l6e6x)
                     very simple solution - (boxley) - (1)
                         I LIKE it! - (jb4)
                     Non seq.___ You mean: all and Everything ?? - (Ashton) - (46)
                         I don't see any problem at all. - (Brandioch) - (45)
                             But you don't have the BEST care in the world. - (tuberculosis) - (44)
                                 If you have the money, the best treatment is in the US. - (Brandioch) - (36)
                                     How?!?! WHO MAKES THE LAWS THAT ARE USED IN THE COURTS? - (tuberculosis) - (35)
                                         Don't bother them with minor details... - (bepatient)
                                         Whatever. - (Brandioch) - (33)
                                             Best technology - wildly variable 'medicine'. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                 It's in our culture. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                     It is in our culture even more than that - (ben_tilly)
                                             Extreme case - (tuberculosis) - (29)
                                                 Since you were unable to answer the question... - (Brandioch) - (28)
                                                     Mexico -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Nope - 97. -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                                     Did you not look at the link in my first article? - (tuberculosis) - (25)
                                                         I didn't say that. - (Brandioch) - (24)
                                                             and he whines when I do that :0 -NT - (boxley)
                                                             Afraid I'd have to quibble with 'best' in lots of contexts - (Ashton)
                                                             BEST by what measurement? - (tuberculosis) - (21)
                                                                 No source needed. - (Brandioch) - (20)
                                                                     France. - (bepatient) - (19)
                                                                         He wouldnt reply to Mexico he doesnt have any facts -NT - (boxley) - (18)
                                                                             Pick pick pick :-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                             One more time. - (Brandioch) - (16)
                                                                                 Definitions and Metrics. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                                     No, I think you've phrased it correctly. - (Brandioch) - (8)
                                                                                         Silly definition of BEST - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                                                                                             No, that is the definition of "best". - (Brandioch) - (6)
                                                                                                 Hardly. - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                                     All parts of the elephant - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                                                                         Because my definition does not agree with your opinion.... - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                                                                                             Lighten up - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                                                                 never let a cheap rhetorical device hold you back :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                                                     He never does ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                 yes -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                                     And Mexico's equivalent to the Mayo Clinics is.....? -NT - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                                                         UNAM Mexico City where Americans go to do post grad tropical - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                             Heh - once 'made rounds' there - (Ashton)
                                                                                             It looks good. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                                                                 Its your assertion, you support it. - (boxley)
                                 Price of drugs outside the US - (bluke)
                                 Sure does for those who can afford it - (bluke) - (5)
                                     Exactly. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                         It's not an abstact quality, it's a commodity - (hnick) - (3)
                                             Interesting. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                 Ok: try 'theoretical' VS actual; potential VS performance - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     I agree. -NT - (Brandioch)
             I don't get your snideness - (jb4) - (20)
                 But they don't. - (bepatient) - (19)
                     A sample web link. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Rather nicely covered on 60 Minutes, last night. Still...... - (Ashton) - (3)
                         But if I were to interpret.... - (bepatient) - (2)
                             New blood, and with real-life Experience, not just an MBA. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 I thought those were the ball players ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                     Is abuse of tort that widespread? - (Silverlock) - (6)
                         the issue I have on tort reform is class actions - (boxley) - (2)
                             My proposal for a reform: - (mhuber) - (1)
                                 Hey, I LIKE it! - (jb4)
                         What you don't hear is worse... - (bepatient) - (2)
                             Aren't they mostly between insurance companies? - (mhuber) - (1)
                                 I'm not saying... - (bepatient)
                     So how do you handle this? - (jb4) - (6)
                         Valid claim - (bepatient) - (5)
                             Yup - it's about Trust. There isn't any (much) left - (Ashton)
                             Hysterical...? - (jb4) - (3)
                                 Hee hee.... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                     smartass.... -NT - (jb4) - (1)
                                         :-) -NT - (bepatient)
         He more closely connects crime and punishment. - (static)
         Tort system simply broken - (JayMehaffey)
         Tort Reform Irony - don't talk about it..... - (Simon_Jester)

Any movie with Tim Curry as The Lord of Darkness can't be all bad.
135 ms