The quote was the starting point of Jung and Pauli's joint research into the phenomenon of synchronicity. For myself, I express the same idea by stating that memories are not stored in the brain, as RAM, rather they are enfolded into the fabric of reality, and remembering is then an act of unfolding.

I was watching a [link|http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/nathis/arthopo/mospider/kinds.htm#anchor866508|garden spider] build her magnificent web yesterday. She moved with incredible speed and certainly, using her legs to test the tension in the web as she layed out orbital threads. Since a web has to conform to its environment, compromises are needed at certain points - the big gal would stop, seemed to be thinking, then she would set off to the other side with a new spoke and start laying down orbits again. It was amazing to watch! There is no way this entire complex procedure could be stored in its tiny brain. Somehow spider existence is enfolded into reality to the tune a few hundred million years, and all that is necessary to induce unfoldment of web-building is an empty stomach.