IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Validity of the Turing Test?
I have my doubts about whether the Turing test really should be the litmus test for determining when a machine attains intelligence. The first problem with the test is that it says nothing about what the machine thinks about itself - or even whether it has a concept of self.

Second problem is that it doesn't rule out the question of deception. The Turing test doesn't so much measure the intelligence of the machine as it does the gullibility of the human participants. Can they be fooled into thinking the machine is a fellow human?

Anyhow, list me as one who thinks that the Turing test for intelligence tells us more about the nature of the human participants than it does the machine.
New Good points
But until something better is devised, I don't see many other options.
"When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually there's no reason not to, so I just go ahead. It's given me the strangest collection of hats"
New The best argument against the Turing Test is Eliza
New No, the best argument against the Turing Test is Usenet
Turing test is only a measure of linguistic compatibility. We can learn new words, but that's not the same as a new language. We can learn new grammar, but that's not the same as context. With sufficiently different context, *anyone* could fail a Turing test. Test an Aborigine via a text-only interface and I doubt he would "pass."
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Don't You Need Numbers?
The Hopi Indians had only three numbers - one, two, and many.

Somehow this entire Turing thing seems hokey to me. In any case reality obeys the principle of complementarity and the superposition principle, and that can't be modeled as 1s and 0s since there is an inherently statistical element.

New Well purl passed the IRC test a long time ago
Infobots have for several years been good enough to fool people into believing that they were just helped out by a real person.

But yes, maintaining a coherent Usenet personality that looks somewhat normal would take some real work. Either that or it would act like Ashton.

Speaking of which, Ashton, are you real...? :-)

Cheers,
Ben
New How 'bout the magical Frenchman?
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New unReal.. but real-enough for Govt. Work. merely the facade
Precisely as one ranks the other artifacts within the daily illusion we generate, on 'awakening'. And call those 'real'.

('You', of course would disappear were 'I' to disappear)

Now as to the Real, I could only say tha

Error 42: Undefined for this set.
Topology error.
Syntax error.
Script error.
Compile error.
Program error.
Execution error.

Life systems terminated.

SYSTEM HALTED
New Re: Fooling the Turing Test
First of all, emulating the speach of an 18 month-old is not that hard. But, extrapolating that to a 5-year-old and then further is a bit too presumptuious.

I can build an emulation of a 9 month child, although my Puke-A-Tron still has a few glitches in it.

Did Turing specify what kind of human was to be emulated? The person on the other side could possibly mistake some of the current chat bots for skiztofranic humans.

However, they will never be able to emulate my bad spelling. That should be the *real* test.

Which was the success criteria, as well. The computer had to fool people as often as the man.

Alan Turing's test, the way he wrote it, is pretty hard. The variations are much easier. I had an entirely functional emulator named Katy.exe that was indistinguishable from a person suffering from catatonia. And I didn't even write it on purpose, I renamed another program that happened to work that way due to something stupid I did with a pointer.
White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
     Hal is born - (DonRichards) - (18)
         Halfway there. - (tseliot) - (3)
             You should also look at the Cog project, then... - (neelk) - (2)
                 Fascinating - (deSitter)
                 Thanks! Cursory view looks promising... -NT - (tseliot)
         Hal, shmal - (wharris2) - (3)
             Why so hostile? - (DonRichards) - (2)
                 Just the hype - (wharris2) - (1)
                     But it doesn't say that - (DonRichards)
         Validity of the Turing Test? - (ChrisR) - (9)
             Good points - (DonRichards)
             The best argument against the Turing Test is Eliza -NT - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                 No, the best argument against the Turing Test is Usenet - (drewk) - (4)
                     Don't You Need Numbers? - (deSitter)
                     Well purl passed the IRC test a long time ago - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         How 'bout the magical Frenchman? -NT - (drewk)
                         unReal.. but real-enough for Govt. Work. merely the facade - (Ashton)
             Re: Fooling the Turing Test - (tablizer) - (1)
                 Yep, Turing specified - (mhuber)

Why, that looks so dangerous - I'm sure I'll learn something wonderful!
54 ms