IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Okay.... Now comes the tough part...
Now that we have *THAT* out of the way... where you understand why we bitch about you not posting specifics...

Like WHAT the hardware is... What the error is exactly... or the particular issue is... WITH AS much (what you may feel is unneeded) DETAIL as possible... I mean you have read some of my posts on my problems when I actually have a problem and I am not trying to tweak a few people... They read like a Bloody Novel.

That's is what we are asking for when it comes to the hardware issues...

Also, as far as a MySQL Database... You tell me *WHAT* you are running and I'll send you a Tarball compiled for *YOUR* version of linux... with all the Client and libraries needed... you may need to make sure a few things are installed on the "SYSTEM" so they'll run...

If you use Windows, I'll still put it somewhere you can get it... OK?

So, understand, I *AM* and *ALWAYS HAVE* been trying to help... you are just not letting *ME* help you... by not giving me (or anyone else) the information needed to help you fix your problems... Hell, I'll even build and Ship you a machine fully config'd and installed with MySQL on it... That is unless you want to send me a machine and I'll build it and send it back... I ALWAYS have time to do that... SO... either way we fix you up...

There is another option, but, I'd really be surprised if *THAT* ever was approved... *ROAD - TRIP*... But that'd have to be a couple weeks off...

And are stored Procedures *THAT* important? From your descriptions... doesn't sound as though you've got hugely transactional system...

And to address, Kuro5hin's moderation system... yeah it bites... but sooner or later it's gotta get fixed... and it will... change takes time...

Also, helping people see the light by cramming it down their throat is not the best way... let the look for themselves... let THEM see the bad in the current software... show them serious cost saving by giving up one "minor" feature... one THAT can be lived with... help them see a wireless X-Term solution... an Xterm with touch panel can be a little as $700... r better yet, use a "PC104" spec computer... Small... modular... expandable... reasonable cost... reasonable performance... standard feature set complete $1K w/o OS... and durable...

Help them make the decision to choose the journey rather than draggin them to that direction...

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Excuse me
for not giving out more details and being psychic enough to know that you wanted my MAC address, the DNS servers, CPU ID of my chip, serial number, social security number, mother's maidnen name, blood type, astrological sign, date of birth, right tumb print, Iris Scan, sperm sample, urine sample, notory public seal of aproval on a loyalty oath to the Open Sourced Community, and $15 sent to your Paypal account before you could help me? :)

I apeciate your help. When you guys yell and scream at me instead of saying "Norm, I need the details of your hardware. Video card, motherboard, CPU, etc." it really hurts my feelings. My feelings have been hurt a lot in many areas of my life, so I am learning how to fight back again.

If and when K5's moderation system gets fixed, I will go back. If you guys are nicer to me, I might go back sooner. :)

Thanks for the offer of sending and shipping a machine to me, when I talked to Peter about that I was called a whiner.

Details of my test system:

System Name: ADAMA

CPU: Pentum MMX 200Mhz

Motherboard chipset: Intel i430VX

BIOS: AWARD 4.51 11/10/97

RAM: 64M

Video: S3 VirgeDX aka 86C375/86C385 BIOS 1.01

Hard Drive: Western Digital 6G IDE Hard Drive.

Monitor: Generic EMC 17" model 772 (KVM Switch for four systems, same monitor, same serial muse, same keyboard)

Linux: Red Hat 7.3

What else do you wish to know, friend? It has a 24X IDE CD-ROM drive, 3.5" floppy, Realtek 8029 PCI Ethernet 10Mbit card, no audio card, nothing else I can think of. Someone sent me the Red Hat 7.3 CD because the CDR images that I burned kept complaining about a "Media Error" even at 2X or 1X burn speeds. So this is the original Red Hat 7.3 Evaluation CD. Supposed to work right out of the box.

Problems: "X Windows" software aka XFree86 is unable to load. Reports "Missing Fixed Width Font" and sometimes a "Missing Screen" and then exits back to the command prompt. I'd give you the whole screen text, if I hadn't gotten fustrated by getting called a whiner and low level formatted the hard drive and installed NT 4.0 Server instead. Yeah GRUB would not go away, so I commited a sin by low level formatting the hard drive, and not learning why GRUB all of a sudden was a Freddy Kruger or Jason Vorhees that I could not get rid of and kept getting up every time I thought I had killed him.

Version of MySQL used: 3.32.51 someone mentioned a 4.0, I assume that I need to go grab me a new tarball? I will be running it both on Windows and Linux, if possible.

Stored Procedures, oh heck yeah, so much easier to just call "sp_getemployees" than building your own SQL String with 16 tables, 32 indexes, and 48 selectable columns. Can't imagine why anyone would want to run "sp_getemployees" instead of about 6 pages of SQL Code in their SQL Queries? My job with the Lawyers required me to do that, they bought [link|http://www.cmsopen.com|CMSOpen] a database that just loves to have as many tables as they can in one database. Then they wonder why SQL Server 6.X is bitching at me that I cannot add any more tables to my queries? Oh come on Norm, it is only one more table, why can't SQL Server handle it? Then I have to talk to my boss about what a view is, and why I need access to create one to get around the table limits, etc. By the way, does MySQL have Views now? Sort of like a big virtual table that you can link smaller tables into, so that it is accessed like one big virtual table instead of 16 or less of them?

My coworkers tell me that "MySQL is good for web pages, but not Enterprise Level apps that need the extra features that MySQL lacks." So how am I supposed to respond to that? Ok, now we have table locks with 4.0, what else? I'm downloading a new copy, after all what is the point of DSL when you can't use it and a CDR burner? ;)

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
Expand Edited by orion Sept. 22, 2002, 08:36:35 PM EDT
New Pardon...
Norm... please stop biting my hand...

My wife just asked me how you are doing. I let her read for herself...

She wants me to go and help you with anything you may need... including support of a more personal kind... she sees you going through alot of the sames things I have in my "Colorful" employment history, as well as the family things going on now... I have some very big things going on now... but those can wait...

You need someone to help you come back from this edge you have precariously stepped out onto... just think about the GOOD you can do... don't focus on the bad... Call and really talk to someone... Big Norm maybe?? Me?? anyone... calling me collect is a good thing... anytime... you have the number...

curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

New Getting better now
my coworker stopped putting on the pressue and cut down on the control. Things are starting to get back to normal. Finally I can sleep a little bit more.

New Re: Way-Way-Cool
I can see that *JUST* in your postings... I am liking your personality this way again...

BTW, I just put 2-n-2 together today.... Orion == Norm King == Cable (on IWE original)

Lots... of Cogs fell into sync... explains alot of things AND helps me understand things a bit better...

as we all know... I still have all the IWE forum postings... *CLICK* *CLICK* cept a couple...

HMMM... I have pretty powerful webserver a MySQL DB, PHP.... hmmmmm.... MAYBE....

Lemme do a feasability on that...

New Wow you figured it out?
Not like I was keeping it a secret from you guys. I just followed the rest of you here from the InfoWorld Forums. I expect a lot of you already have my psychological profile and can predict the next time my depression kicks out a cycle or two. :)

Cable on IWE, to Cable4096 on Ezboard. Then Nking on Ezboard, then Orion Blastar, then couldn't make up my mind, accidentally logged in as one of my older accounts, was Nking again. Orion, etc. The got to ZIwe and here I am now. Just don't ask me about my IWETHEYTWiki acounts. :) Right now the only one that works is NormanKing, and it is the only one I use. Of course on some areas of the Internet or BBSes, they think that my real name is a handle. Go figure!

Alternatives to SQL Server 2000 - (orion) - (38)
         MySQL has table locking. - (static) - (16)
             Re: MySQL has table locking. - (wharris2) - (4)
                 Thans for the info - (orion) - (3)
                     DB2 - (gdaustin) - (1)
                         More Info... - (gdaustin)
                     Revision - (wharris2)
             Do you know - (orion) - (10)
                 First off... - (folkert) - (9)
                     Re: First off... - (orion) - (6)
                         Okay.... Now comes the tough part... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Excuse me - (orion) - (4)
                                 Pardon... - (folkert) - (3)
                                     Getting better now - (orion) - (2)
                                         Re: Way-Way-Cool - (folkert) - (1)
                                             Wow you figured it out? - (orion)
                     Greg, Greg, Greg...K5 moderation... - (kmself) - (1)
                         Uh... Are ewe crit\ufffdi\ufffdciz\ufffding my Englih? or my wait? - (folkert)
         Idea: - (CRConrad) - (14)
             Thanks for the idea - (orion) - (13)
                 FWIW - (tseliot) - (12)
                     Thank you! - (orion) - (5)
                         Oh, yeah. Great plan. Good luck with that. - (altmann) - (4)
                             Better link for that script... - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Thank you guys - (orion) - (2)
                                     Then do that - (drewk) - (1)
                                         I am doing that - (orion)
                     Please remove the returns in your post - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         Wish I could. zIWE parser put them in for me. -NT - (tseliot) - (1)
                             You _can_ - (ben_tilly)
                     Table re-done, all purty like... only removed breaks - (folkert)
                     Whoop---Whooop---Whooooop!!! - (folkert) - (1)
                         Ya NUT! - (tseliot)
         Oops, disregard -- double posting! -NT - (CRConrad)
         Re: Alternatives to SQL Server 2000 - (broomberg) - (4)
             Believe me, I do not insist on it - (orion) - (3)
                 I might be smoking rope. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Uh yeah - (orion) - (1)
                         Depends on how you write it. - (mmoffitt)

If you're going to be paranoid, don't stop at half measures.
95 ms