IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Alternatives to SQL Server 2000
Microsoft is going to hit us hard with the database licensing fees as we migrate the product to use SQL Server 2000.

We would like a different database, if possible, one that does not suck, has a nice GUI interface, and does not cost an arm and a leg. One that can handle about 50 to 100 megs of data, can work with up to 24 clients hitting it at once, and can do some serious performance even on a hospital network that some dumb*ss IT Techs making $9/hr had set up.

Databases we ruled out and why:

MySQL:
No stored procedures, no table locking, no frills, web database and not serious enough to get our use. Maybe when it matures later?

PostgreSQL:
Oh h*ll no! Requires Cygwin to run in Windows, CLI interface, and our Network Administrator is not going to support it.

Firebird:
GUI Server end, CLI interface, looks like it is f*cking betaware that has not yet finished the Win32 port. CRC, any ideas?

Oracle:
Like SQL Server, but also costs an arm and a leg.

Sybase:
What SQL Server was based on, costs too much for us to license.

MS-Access:
We are trying to get away from this, as well as Excel!

Filemaker Pro:
F*cking kiddie database that everyone laughs at. Not "Enterprise" level at all. Good enough to keep track of Baseball Cards, Cooking Receipies, Employee Info, and other small databases. Load it up with 50 to 100 megs and watch it fold and buckle!

mSQL:
Appears to be better than MySQL, but not by much.

DB2:
IBM can't make up its mind on the pricing!

DBASE:
Are you kidding? Enterprise Level remember?

We would like to move away from MS Products eventually, but the Javalin touch screen systems that we buy/rent/lease come with a Windows 98 license, but they won't care where the database comes from, as long as we can plug it into ADO in VB. We might migrate to Java, Web technology, etc later. The program will need touch screen and barcode scanning support.

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
New MySQL has table locking.
But you have to use version 4. And it is a scalable robust system: did you know it is the database behind Slashdot and (IIRC) Kuro5hin.

OTOH, it doesn't have stored procedures yet, no.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Re: MySQL has table locking.
Oh good, table locking. NOT.

Table locking is not for serious business use at all. *serious* businesses need row-level locking, which is Somewhere Out There for MySQL.

Postgress seems to have good features/benefits. Free and so forth.

Of course, you could always use IBM DB2. Probably not less expensive than Oracle, though. Other vendors? Informix was absorbed by IBM. Not a bad product, but you gotta be suspicious of its future. IBM or Oracle or Microsoft, that's the choices with the pay databases.

Anyone have other databases to suggest? SQL, while decent, if not great, is OK, alas Microsoft "standard" ODBC is in several varieties, and not fully supported by many databases or ODBC interfaces or even Microsoft itself (see Visual Basic for a glaring example.)

Try to find a standard definition of SQL on the Web. When I went looking a few years back, I never did find a real definition of this ANSI SQL.
The lawyers would mostly rather be what they are than get out of the way even if the cost was Hammerfall. - Jerry Pournelle
New Thans for the info
I would go with IBM DB2; however, IBM does not seem to have made up its mind on the pricing yet last time I checked. At one point it cost more than SQL Server, at another it cost less, and I got a "We'll get back to you" when I asked them how much 20 client licneses would cost. IBM just isn't the same company that it once was. Someone should either put it out of its misery, or buy the f*cker out and get rid of all the pinheaded brain-dead MBA managers and marketers than ruin the company and replace them with computer geeks/nerds like us.

New DB2
IBM is actually in the process of REDUCING the price of DB2 for smaller companies.

Current pricing:

User-based licensing model
$995 per server, plus $253 per user.
(User-based licensing works up to 4 processors on Microsoft Windows and 2 processors in Unix. User licensing is concurrent-use based, rather than Microsoft's per-seat, meaning you don't have to buy as many licenses.)
We run several IBM DB2 servers on 10 user licenses for less than $4K per server.

Processor-based licensing model (unlimited users, workgroup edition)
$15,000 per CPU for DB2 Version 7.2, and $7500 per CPU for DB2 Version 8. The price per CPU is actually GOING DOWN! Perhaps you can even work a deal to buy Version 8, but get version 7.2 until Version 8 is out of Beta.

The GUI's on DB2 aren't as nice as SQL Server, but we write our own Delphi programs, and the Delphi programs really don't care if the database is DB2 or SQL Server.

Where you lose out is in the available tools for SQL Server. But, the core database is so much better than SQL Server, and I think, with a little trickery, you could probably use the MS Access GUI tools with DB2 (using ODBC) if you had to.

I would really take a hard look at DB2, especially with the Version 8.0 price reductions.

It's 4X (or more) cheaper than Oracle on the Workgroup Edition, and it's a solid relational database.

Post back if you're interested and I can send you some information to get you started. You can download a free 90 day evaluation from IBM, but I'll have to get the specific URL for you if you're interested.

Glen Austin
New More Info...
If you're not getting clear information about pricing, then I would recommend two courses of action:

1. Call IBM 1-800-426-2255 and ask for the Summer 2002 Catalog US Version. They will send you one for free.

2. Ask for another account representative. I agree that it's confusing with all the different versions and licensing options and stuff, but the account reps at IBM are SUPPOSED to be there to explain it to you. If you want some help, I'll be happy to spend a little time explaining the choices and options.

3. Buy, DB2 Fundamentals Certification for Dummies from amazon.com (or your favorite bookstore). The first chapter of the book goes through all the different options for DB2.

4. Download the DB2 Enterprise Edition trial version: for free.
[link|http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/search.jsp?go=y&rs=db2udbdl&S_TACT=&S_CMP=|Here]

5. Download some of the free DB2 courses from the IBM Website.
[link|http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/software/track3.cgi?file=/software/data/db2/selfstudy/index.html&S_TACT=__S_TACT__&S_CMP=__S_CMP__|Here]

That should get you started, Norm. Let me know if you need more.

Glen Austin
IBM Certified Solution Expert: DB2 UDB Version 7.1 Database Administration for Unix, Linux, Windows, and OS/2
(and I don't even work for IBM, but maybe I should?)
New Revision
News on Slashdot today has it that there is now a MySQL add-in or something that *does* add row-level locking. Iff it's like previous locking annoncements it might be kludgy, but I haven't seen enough to verify/non-verify it.
New Do you know
that because MySQL runs Slashdot and Kuro5hin, my coworkers have two good reasons not to go with it because they use Slashdot and Kuro5hin as bad examples of how to run a database and how to run an almost anarchic forum with little to no security where script-kiddies, trolls, and spammers have multiple accounts and basically run the f*cking place? Where are the moderators? If the moderators won't do their job, f*ck, I'll volunteer and clear the whole house up and disable the accounts of the script-kiddies, trolls, and spammers. Then with the remaining 10% of the users left, the database performance should be a lot better with 90% of the "noise" gone.

Trolls/Spammers like "RobotSlave" run Kuro5hin from his Adequacy.org website because Rusty and company are too much of whimps to do anything about it. Give me access and "RobotSlave" and his 300 Adequacy.org accounts that originate from the same IP will be "Inactive" by blocking the damn IP! I'm getting tired of seeing him promote Adequacy.org on every other post that he makes. I'll write up the damn TOS agreement if K5 won't, but chances are that RS and his 300+ accounts will vote it down.

New First off...
Slashdot and Kuro5hin have META-Moderation... and user imposed relationships...

It does not tell you HOW the DB is run... the DB is secure, the forum is Open. If you don't understand HOW those kinds of things run... don't make these kinds of statements...

MySQL does NOT RUN those sites... HOW can a DB RUN a CONTENT DRIVEN system???

No, the System uses MySQL to STORE THAT DATA! There IS a Significant DISTINCTION there sir... Please DO NOT confuse what you believe with what is factual...

I for one, am getting to the point, where I shall combat your un-mistakenly wrong comments until you understand the real situation and retract your "implications"... you are asking for Help, then when "help" is offered, all you do is blow smoke up our asses...

Please refrain from making incorrect assumptions and/or statements until you KNOW the real facts of the matter.

For the record, Slashdot has evolved from a "no-mderation" to Iron fisted moderation, till that became to time-consuming, to moderation by a selct group (10 IIRC), then the select 400 came along, which became a fiasco as "factions" started to appear... it then has gone through multiple interpretations of Moderation, until the "Meta-Moderation" Moderation of Moderation came along... it sorta kinda allows the trolls to post, they then get mod-ed down, by "Moderators", then the "Moderators" moderations get "mod-ed" on how they did... based on how "fair" a moderator is determines wether or not the stay a moderator... It also promotes "proper" moderation to happen... "Proper" being a relative term... so as you see you do not really have a handle on how Slashdot works... Flame-wars become a controlled burn, where as "me-toos" get quelled, even Good posts rise to the surface... against or for the topic...

As far as Kuro5hin... Pete knows all to well how that moderation system works... Donchya Pete? and as far as RobotSlave... well things like that only last So long...

You forget the days of usenet's cross-posting wars... NOW that got old after the first 2-3 Million messages... eventually it calmed down, when everyone put in a twit-filter for it... ON THE SERVERS... it'll happen sooner or later either through admins or the users themselves...

As far as I can see, if MySQL can handle the LOAD of Slashdot and Kuro5shin... I do believe it *CAN* handle most anything YOU can throw at it... barring Stored-Procedures...

I'd like to see *ANYTHING* Microsoft's DB apps do that... actually I'd like to see the OS even come close to running Slashdot or Kuro5hin on the same hardware they currently run...

One last thing, you say you are tired of RobotSlave... well we are getting tired of your posts like this... a lot of words but nothing said, just blather... Now if you get real meat into these posts, we can talk... till then, well... this is what you'll get. It always seems as though you only see the negative things of OpenSouce programs... and only hte good of Microsoft's, except the price... if you can't help out with coding, at least help-out with DETAILED bug-reports...

Nuff said... Flames go to the hand...

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Re: First off...
Where the fuck did I say that I want to use Microsoft? If so, why the fuck am I asking for alternatives?

When I assign some asshole who deserves a "0" on K5 for trolling or spamming, he assigns "1"'s to all my comments so that I cannot assign him any more "0"'s. Thus removing my ability to moderate posts that violate guidelines. Then when I fight back and assign "1"'s to his comments that are obvious trolls or spammings, I get called a crapflooder? Is it K5 or the WWE, I am confused?

Yes I know that K5 or /. are not databases; however, they do have a DB engine behind them. I am not confused over that fact. I didn't bring them up, my coworkers did. I'd use fucking mySQL right now, except that I have two coworkers standing in my way bitching at me because there is no stored procedures, etc. I could show them a working Linux system; however, I find myself unable to get one working except a vary old copy from 1995 or 1997 when I did Linux for that small company that I listed on my resume that I had started in 1995 to 1997 with my business partner who still owes me $9000USD in stock because I sold the business over to him and he still owes me for it. Yes thank you I know how to fucking read a man page, yes thank you I know how to get Linux working and I am fucking rusty a bit from not running a working Linux box for a few years. If I keep getting treated like a newbie every time I have an issue and ask for help, I'll fucking respond in this way. I am fucking tired of being a nice guy, I want to be Mr. Hyde for a while because Dr. Jeckle does not appear to be getting results.

New Okay.... Now comes the tough part...
Now that we have *THAT* out of the way... where you understand why we bitch about you not posting specifics...

Like WHAT the hardware is... What the error is exactly... or the particular issue is... WITH AS much (what you may feel is unneeded) DETAIL as possible... I mean you have read some of my posts on my problems when I actually have a problem and I am not trying to tweak a few people... They read like a Bloody Novel.

That's is what we are asking for when it comes to the hardware issues...

Also, as far as a MySQL Database... You tell me *WHAT* you are running and I'll send you a Tarball compiled for *YOUR* version of linux... with all the Client and libraries needed... you may need to make sure a few things are installed on the "SYSTEM" so they'll run...

If you use Windows, I'll still put it somewhere you can get it... OK?

So, understand, I *AM* and *ALWAYS HAVE* been trying to help... you are just not letting *ME* help you... by not giving me (or anyone else) the information needed to help you fix your problems... Hell, I'll even build and Ship you a machine fully config'd and installed with MySQL on it... That is unless you want to send me a machine and I'll build it and send it back... I ALWAYS have time to do that... SO... either way we fix you up...

There is another option, but, I'd really be surprised if *THAT* ever was approved... *ROAD - TRIP*... But that'd have to be a couple weeks off...

And are stored Procedures *THAT* important? From your descriptions... doesn't sound as though you've got hugely transactional system...

And to address, Kuro5hin's moderation system... yeah it bites... but sooner or later it's gotta get fixed... and it will... change takes time...

Also, helping people see the light by cramming it down their throat is not the best way... let the look for themselves... let THEM see the bad in the current software... show them serious cost saving by giving up one "minor" feature... one THAT can be lived with... help them see a wireless X-Term solution... an Xterm with touch panel can be a little as $700... r better yet, use a "PC104" spec computer... Small... modular... expandable... reasonable cost... reasonable performance... standard feature set complete $1K w/o OS... and durable...

Help them make the decision to choose the journey rather than draggin them to that direction...

curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

New Excuse me
for not giving out more details and being psychic enough to know that you wanted my MAC address, the DNS servers, CPU ID of my chip, serial number, social security number, mother's maidnen name, blood type, astrological sign, date of birth, right tumb print, Iris Scan, sperm sample, urine sample, notory public seal of aproval on a loyalty oath to the Open Sourced Community, and $15 sent to your Paypal account before you could help me? :)

I apeciate your help. When you guys yell and scream at me instead of saying "Norm, I need the details of your hardware. Video card, motherboard, CPU, etc." it really hurts my feelings. My feelings have been hurt a lot in many areas of my life, so I am learning how to fight back again.

If and when K5's moderation system gets fixed, I will go back. If you guys are nicer to me, I might go back sooner. :)

Thanks for the offer of sending and shipping a machine to me, when I talked to Peter about that I was called a whiner.

Details of my test system:

System Name: ADAMA

CPU: Pentum MMX 200Mhz

Motherboard chipset: Intel i430VX

BIOS: AWARD 4.51 11/10/97

RAM: 64M

Video: S3 VirgeDX aka 86C375/86C385 BIOS 1.01

Hard Drive: Western Digital 6G IDE Hard Drive.

Monitor: Generic EMC 17" model 772 (KVM Switch for four systems, same monitor, same serial muse, same keyboard)

Linux: Red Hat 7.3

What else do you wish to know, friend? It has a 24X IDE CD-ROM drive, 3.5" floppy, Realtek 8029 PCI Ethernet 10Mbit card, no audio card, nothing else I can think of. Someone sent me the Red Hat 7.3 CD because the CDR images that I burned kept complaining about a "Media Error" even at 2X or 1X burn speeds. So this is the original Red Hat 7.3 Evaluation CD. Supposed to work right out of the box.

Problems: "X Windows" software aka XFree86 is unable to load. Reports "Missing Fixed Width Font" and sometimes a "Missing Screen" and then exits back to the command prompt. I'd give you the whole screen text, if I hadn't gotten fustrated by getting called a whiner and low level formatted the hard drive and installed NT 4.0 Server instead. Yeah GRUB would not go away, so I commited a sin by low level formatting the hard drive, and not learning why GRUB all of a sudden was a Freddy Kruger or Jason Vorhees that I could not get rid of and kept getting up every time I thought I had killed him.

Version of MySQL used: 3.32.51 someone mentioned a 4.0, I assume that I need to go grab me a new tarball? I will be running it both on Windows and Linux, if possible.

Stored Procedures, oh heck yeah, so much easier to just call "sp_getemployees" than building your own SQL String with 16 tables, 32 indexes, and 48 selectable columns. Can't imagine why anyone would want to run "sp_getemployees" instead of about 6 pages of SQL Code in their SQL Queries? My job with the Lawyers required me to do that, they bought [link|http://www.cmsopen.com|CMSOpen] a database that just loves to have as many tables as they can in one database. Then they wonder why SQL Server 6.X is bitching at me that I cannot add any more tables to my queries? Oh come on Norm, it is only one more table, why can't SQL Server handle it? Then I have to talk to my boss about what a view is, and why I need access to create one to get around the table limits, etc. By the way, does MySQL have Views now? Sort of like a big virtual table that you can link smaller tables into, so that it is accessed like one big virtual table instead of 16 or less of them?

My coworkers tell me that "MySQL is good for web pages, but not Enterprise Level apps that need the extra features that MySQL lacks." So how am I supposed to respond to that? Ok, now we have table locks with 4.0, what else? I'm downloading a new copy, after all what is the point of DSL when you can't use it and a CDR burner? ;)

Expand Edited by orion Sept. 22, 2002, 08:36:35 PM EDT
New Pardon...
Norm... please stop biting my hand...

My wife just asked me how you are doing. I let her read for herself...

She wants me to go and help you with anything you may need... including support of a more personal kind... she sees you going through alot of the sames things I have in my "Colorful" employment history, as well as the family things going on now... I have some very big things going on now... but those can wait...

You need someone to help you come back from this edge you have precariously stepped out onto... just think about the GOOD you can do... don't focus on the bad... Call and really talk to someone... Big Norm maybe?? Me?? anyone... calling me collect is a good thing... anytime... you have the number...

New Getting better now
my coworker stopped putting on the pressue and cut down on the control. Things are starting to get back to normal. Finally I can sleep a little bit more.

New Re: Way-Way-Cool
I can see that *JUST* in your postings... I am liking your personality this way again...

BTW, I just put 2-n-2 together today.... Orion == Norm King == Cable (on IWE original)

Lots... of Cogs fell into sync... explains alot of things AND helps me understand things a bit better...

as we all know... I still have all the IWE forum postings... *CLICK* *CLICK* cept a couple...

HMMM... I have pretty powerful webserver a MySQL DB, PHP.... hmmmmm.... MAYBE....

Lemme do a feasability on that...

New Wow you figured it out?
Not like I was keeping it a secret from you guys. I just followed the rest of you here from the InfoWorld Forums. I expect a lot of you already have my psychological profile and can predict the next time my depression kicks out a cycle or two. :)

Cable on IWE, to Cable4096 on Ezboard. Then Nking on Ezboard, then Orion Blastar, then couldn't make up my mind, accidentally logged in as one of my older accounts, was Nking again. Orion, etc. The got to ZIwe and here I am now. Just don't ask me about my IWETHEYTWiki acounts. :) Right now the only one that works is NormanKing, and it is the only one I use. Of course on some areas of the Internet or BBSes, they think that my real name is a handle. Go figure!

New Greg, Greg, Greg...K5 moderation...
...may be something Peter's familiar with, but let's not forgot who actually designed it.

/me hopes he doesn't have to take the credit all over again....

...and FWIW, I don't have trusted status there either.

Moderation abuse is something that can be reported and dealt with. I've gone a few rounds of that myself. I'd suggest people not blow this out of proportion -- it's just a freakin' website.

Otherwise -- Greg, points well (and largely coherently ;-) made.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.

Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.
[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/...a_alert.html]]
New Uh... Are ewe crit\ufffdi\ufffdciz\ufffding my Englih? or my wait?
I knew it... no-one likes me here...

DAAAD! Make'em be nice... they're being MEAN!!!!

New Idea:
Oh well, if you don't like the open Source version -- and want to provide your new employer the satisfaction and peace of mind of having shelled out for a "real", commercial, product -- get the Big Brother of Firebird: [link|http://www.borland.com/interbase/|[link|http://www.borland.com/interbase/|http://www.borland.com/interbase/]]. Print out the .PDF datasheets and give them to your boss, or pore over them in the Little Room, or whatever.

But, "betaware"??? This is just about the only RDBMS that has been on the market for just about as long as Oracle, you know. (You sleep safe at night because, among many other things, it runs the M1 Abrams tank for your military -- how's that for "mobile, and embedded database applications"? :-)

Two hundred fifty bucks for the Media Kit and Server License, two thousand for a twenty-pack of Simultaneous User Licenses; a hundred bucks apiece. Is that expensive? (I honestly don't know what stuff like this costs.) Or get Delphi Pro for a thousand bucks and abuse the development edition of IB that comes with it. ;^) (Dunno if that is limited to just one or two simultaneous users, though.)

(Seriously, BTW, I was thinking when I read your description of your new job that this might be an ideal candidate project for Delphi's [Kylix's, C++ Builder's] ClientDataSet component. Pump stuff down to your PC/laptop/handheld/whatever, detach from the LAN, run around and edit the cached copies, re-attach and upload updated data... This being Simultaneous User Licenses, you only need as many DBMS licenses as you expect people to be attached and up- or downloading data at any one time.)
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New Thanks for the idea
I used for work as a contractor for the US Army, I know how f*cked up their systems are. Their idea of data replication was loging into either a Telnet or Web Server and downloading a 300+ meg flat text file and then importing it into Oracle, SQL Server, Clipper, DBase, Access, and oh yeah Lotus 123 or Excel files for various projects that they had which ran the same report, with the same numbers, but at different speeds on different platforms, being emailed for many people who just ignore them except for a General or two who gets a big laugh out of them as they are reading them between rounds at the Golf course as they wait for one of my managers to take a turn at Golf. God I loved that job, too bad they had us migrate the data down to the AMCOM base as they closed down the one in St. Louis. Yeah there may have been an Interbase database or two, I wasn't impressed by them. Not something I'd want to use while running the M1 Abrams tank, but we mostly did the Aviation and Troop stuff, Interbase apparently sucked for that so they wouldn't let us use it. Same goes for DB2, and some others. After that job I cannot sleep at night knowing the technology that powers our military and how it works. Yes the whole army brought to its knees because a database buckled down and they have to resort to old data and the provisioning stuff cannot get out until someone fixes it. Which means anything with a NSN (National Stock Number) anything from an ID card to a Nuclear Bomb, isn't going to move until that one database that everything passes through on a Telnet or Web connection to download that huge flat text file. Saddam can thank the poor database design of the US Military that we haven't invaded Iraq, and kicked his sorry *ss yet. Wait until they can rebuild the server and database that powered the provisioning system to get the stuff moving again. Then we can move in those tanks, planes, boats, troops, smart bombs, and some skinny guy named Irving Snockpockets that wants to go over there and paint horns and a beard on every picture of Saddam that he can find in Iraq.

Interbase data sheets and whitepapers will be downloaded. Either my boss will like them or I'll get fired. Hey, you know of any job opening where you live? I think I got the last IT job in the USA where I live, if I blow this one my only chance is going to be getting a Work Visa and then move out of the USA. Or I could move to Huntsville and work for the military again, I hear they need help getting their database running again so they can kick Iraq's butt.

Two thousand is a lot of money. We have a cost per workstation that doesn't earn us a profit until they stick with us for at least 18 months at $700 a month. Which means it costs us $12,600USD per workstation to get them running and support them and get everything they need. Then after 18 months after all the software licenses, hardware costs, support costs, nose blowing, and other stuff gets paid off, we hope that they stick with us or else we are going to have to lay someone off again. Windows 2000 Server costs $1200USD for 10 Client Access licenses, I think that SQL Server is about that much or higher. Our average network can be anywhere from 8, 10, or 24 workstations per network. So the costs can be great. Of that $12,600USD cost, about $2,500USD of it is the POS (Point of Sale) workstation with the LCD screen, touchpad, barcode scanner, etc. It includes a license to use Windows 98SE (heck it even comes in a shrink wrapped package with a CD, a user's manual, and we put it into a little baggie for them). The rest is support issues, Server costs, Database costs, application liciensing fees, development, etc.

So yeah, I guess that $2000USD is a lot of money, but it could be less than the Microcrap licensing.

Uh, Borland still offers demo versions, right? I think my account may work, but last time I tried to download Kylix, it freaked out on me and I got a damaged file, even with WGET, even with Netscape Smart Download, even with WS_FTP, even with GFTP on CYGWIN, well you get the idea. I'll try again, but last time I did someone from Borland called me up "Didja install it yet? What did you think? How many copies can I put you down for?" I told them "The download was incomplete and I am still trying to configure my X-Server and Network connection in Red Hat Linux, if you want to help me with that, I'd sure apreciate it." to which they just said "Huh?" had a few momments of silence, and then said "Well, call our 800 number if you ever get things working...." [CLICK]

My Red Hat Linux 7.3 machine just got reformatted into Windows 2000 Server so I can test stuff out at home and don't have to log into a VPN (which doesn't seem to work when I do log into it, cannot see any servers from over the VPN connection) my other Windows 2000 Server shot craps and nothing can connect to it. System files just went missing, that Administrator account that I disabled, is enabled again. IIS went bye-bye, says it is running and using port 80, yet cannot view any files there despite the fact that I can load local HTML files into any web browser in the directory that IIS says it should be using. Oh heck, I think I'll have a better time with Whistler Beta 2, if it ever arrives from Microsoft. By the time it gets here, I might be able to upgrade to RC2 or something?

Anyone want to hire a slightly used Programmer/Analyst/DBA/Nerd/Computer Geek/Ex-Hacker(not cracker, hacker as in programming, not breaking into systems)/Ex-Unemployed then Reemployed and soon to be Unemployed Technology Worker who also used to build PC systems, work at a Help Desk, run his own business, was an Election Judge for a while (Both Democratic and Republican), ex-Burger Flipper (hey it paid college tuition), Temp Worker, and nice guy who is so nice that most managers would not want me to work in the same cesspool as them but will keep my contact info on their Rolodex in hope that they get a new job somewhere else kind of guy?

New FWIW
My push for Interbase at my company:

Sybase Adaptive Server 1.5 IBM B2 Oracle 9i Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Interbase 6.0
Base Cost $3,995 $40,000 $80,000 $20,000 $200
Cost For 1 User* $795 $200 $600   $0

Total Cost $4,790 $40,200 $80,600 $20,000 $200

Market Share in year 2000 3.2% 30% 34% 15% ?
ODBC Driver X X X X X
JDBC Driver   X X   X
Runs on all popular OS’s X X X   X
Multi-dimensional Arrays         X
2-phase Commits Optional     Requires coding Automatic
Users WorldCom Almost Everyone who doesn’t use MS Everyone Almost Everyone US Army (M1 Abrams Tank), Motorola, Nokia, MCI, Northern Telecom, the Philadelphia Stock Exchange, Bear Stearns, First National Bank of Chicago, the Money Store, NASA, Boeing.

Many fears are born of stupidity and ignorance -
Which you should be feeding with rumour and generalisation.
BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
Expand Edited by tseliot Sept. 24, 2002, 11:43:37 AM EDT
New Thank you!
Now for your next trick:

Are there any tools from taking an Access or SQL Server database and migrating it over to Interbase? I am not talking about those flaky things like Erwin that won't even connect to the SQL Server 2000 (but could to a 6.5 or 7.0 server?) or at least the demo didn't, maybe the full version will? But they are not getting my money until I know it can get the damn job done.

When I did a search on Google to find IB and Firebird migration tools, I found results, but the links to those tools didn't work. Que? Others cost between $50 to $200, but the evaluation and demo versions didn't work, QUE? Are there any f*cking reliable database migration tools that f*cking work and don't cost an arm and a leg to buy? The cheapie ones appear to take one look at our Access or SQL Server database and freak out. Even the Microsoft Access 97/2000 Upsizing Wizard barfed on us. My coworker got p*ssed that I was using tools instead of trying to do it by hand. Yeah, I downloaded the damn things at home, burned a CDR because our company bandwidth sucks, and then took 15 minutes to try those tools out instead of taking a break. She took 20 minutes to chew me out for wasting the company time. If this stuff keeps up, I'm giving back the laptop, leaving the database migration product half-done (Hey good luck guys, see ya!) giving them all the source code and documentation to the projects that I was working on, taking all my computer books, my fan, my personal stuff, and then walking out and becoming a f*cking farmer after selling my house. I'd rather grow corn that have people block my path so I cannot get my job done. I'd grow corn, pay off the farm, n if the Government pays me to not grow corn, I will use that money to get a decent laptop (at least 1.2Ghz) and write Open Sourced software to do what my former employers had been doing. Then port it to as many platforms, databases, etc, that I can. Sound like a plan?

New Oh, yeah. Great plan. Good luck with that.
With all yer bitchin, you might have been done doing it manually by now ;)

Or, you could have spent 5 minutes in Google and come across [link|http://groups.google.com/groups?q=perl+access+dbi+structure+%22create+table%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=nfCu7.20025%24DJ3.1619578%40nlnews00.chello.com&rnum=3|this]. Maybe with a little lovin, it would give you the SQL you need to recreate your DB wherever the hell you want, indexes and all.

--
Chris Altmann
New Better link for that script...
[link|http://www.cynergi.net/exportsql/exportsql2b.txt|Here]

New Thank you guys
now if I can just get the two coworkers bashing MySQL to step down, and show my boss a working version of MySQL and use this tool/script to convert it, I might be able to get it to work.

I think that MySQL might be a better front end database than Access, and it would cut out one more Access project. But like I freaking said a million times by now, it is not within my fucking power to choose the database to run this on. It is the owner and the coworkers that have decided on SQL Server and they hired me because I knew SQL Server. Any ideas on how to convince them?

New Then do that
It is the owner and the coworkers that have decided on SQL Server and they hired me because I knew SQL Server.
Then do what they're paying you to do. Learn new skills on your own time on your own dime.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New I am doing that
I am setting up other databases at home. Learning new skills at home. I had an Oracle and SQL Server and MySQL set up at home and Postgres in Cygwin, but I just reformatted the server to start over clean to take work home. I'll put the databases back up, at home, and see what I can do.

I am only developing SQL Server and Access at work. No other database unless they tell me to, but if I learn at home, and they ask me to later, I'll have the skill set. Interbase was downloaded at home, and on my home system, not my server at work or my laptop at work. Besides I try out new software at home anyway.

New Please remove the returns in your post
To get rid of the big blank section.

Thanks,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New Wish I could. zIWE parser put them in for me.

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New You _can_
Just go into your nicely formatted html and s/\\n//g.

If there are no line breaks in what you submit, then no line break tags are inserted.

Within pre tags you may want to substitute in the line break instead for the obvious reason.

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New Table re-done, all purty like... only removed breaks

Sybase Adaptive Server 1.5IBM DB2Oracle 9iMicrosoft SQL Server 2000Interbase 6.0
Base Cost$3,995$40,000$80,000$20,000$200
Cost For 1 User*$795$200$600 $0

Total Cost$4,790$40,200$80,600$20,000$200

Market Share in year 20003.2%30%34%15%?
ODBC DriverXXXXX
JDBC Driver XX X
Runs on all popular OS’sXXX X
Multi-dimensional Arrays    X
2-phase CommitsOptional  Requires codingAutomatic
UsersWorldComAlmost Everyone who doesn’t use MSEveryoneAlmost EveryoneUS Army (M1 Abrams Tank), Motorola, Nokia, MCI, Northern Telecom, the Philadelphia Stock Exchange, Bear Stearns, First National Bank of Chicago, the Money Store, NASA, Boeing.

Expand Edited by gfolkertold Sept. 23, 2002, 08:46:37 PM EDT
New Whoop---Whooop---Whooooop!!!
Coolio... Breaks all gone!!! Excellent!

New Ya NUT!
Didn't realize I was submitting to the Journal of Applied Screedology. :P

BOfH, 2002 "Episode" 10
New Oops, disregard -- double posting!
Expand Edited by CRConrad Sept. 19, 2002, 11:22:54 AM EDT
Expand Edited by CRConrad Sept. 19, 2002, 11:23:11 AM EDT
New Re: Alternatives to SQL Server 2000
If you insist on WinCrap, look into SQL-Anywhere.
It is Sybase's little brother.

New Believe me, I do not insist on it
I insist on alternatives to Wincrap. If it was up to me, I'd use Linux and Postgres SQL, and then use QMAIL for an email server, and then use SAMBA to let the Windows 98 workstations connect to the server. The Nurses won't know the difference as the program will still work the same, only a little faster and the server will not crash as much or need as much tweaking. Plus it would not cost as much for the server licensing. Plus we could wean them off Windows one at a time, and do it in Java with JBDC instead of VB and ADO with ODBC. As long as it looked the same, and generated the same reports, how are they going to know? They apparently cannot even tell the difference between "Missing Surigcal Tools" and "Unused Surgical Tools" in a tray, how the f*ck would they know the difference between a Windows 98 Client with a SQL Server backend and a Linux client running Java with a Postgres SQL backend running on another Linux machine with a local Postgres database for caching the local backups?

New I might be smoking rope.
I've said before I thought MS makes 2 decent products, one of the Sql Server. Have you looked at using MSDE (MS Sql Server engine limited to 5 "concurrent" users and FREE). Dunno if it fits your environment, but these little MSDE databases can be Replication databases. Just a thought...

bcnu,
Mikem
New Uh yeah
Our average client has about 8 to 24 workstations, I assume that the limit of 5 would bite us in the *ss later on. As soon as the 6th one goes to access the data, it will b*tch at them that it violated the server license. This of course, is not good.

Thanks for the info, I might use SQL Server's Smaller Sister in a different project, maybe somewhere else?

New Depends on how you write it.
If you use MTS, then the COM object talking to the server counts as 1 connection. Even if you open/close connections at the client, you might get away with it. My own preference is nobody has base table access, sp's for insert/update/delete/anything else done a lot, views for everything else. COM DB components to interface w/all client UI's. Doing that cuts down significantly on "concurrent connections" unless you use the same system for DSS. I've deployed MSDE in a small shop w/12 workstations (it's an office doing lots of edits) and never exceeded the 5 concurrent limitation.

Just my 2,
Mikem
     Alternatives to SQL Server 2000 - (orion) - (38)
         MySQL has table locking. - (static) - (16)
             Re: MySQL has table locking. - (wharris2) - (4)
                 Thans for the info - (orion) - (3)
                     DB2 - (gdaustin) - (1)
                         More Info... - (gdaustin)
                     Revision - (wharris2)
             Do you know - (orion) - (10)
                 First off... - (folkert) - (9)
                     Re: First off... - (orion) - (6)
                         Okay.... Now comes the tough part... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Excuse me - (orion) - (4)
                                 Pardon... - (folkert) - (3)
                                     Getting better now - (orion) - (2)
                                         Re: Way-Way-Cool - (folkert) - (1)
                                             Wow you figured it out? - (orion)
                     Greg, Greg, Greg...K5 moderation... - (kmself) - (1)
                         Uh... Are ewe crit\ufffdi\ufffdciz\ufffding my Englih? or my wait? - (folkert)
         Idea: - (CRConrad) - (14)
             Thanks for the idea - (orion) - (13)
                 FWIW - (tseliot) - (12)
                     Thank you! - (orion) - (5)
                         Oh, yeah. Great plan. Good luck with that. - (altmann) - (4)
                             Better link for that script... - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Thank you guys - (orion) - (2)
                                     Then do that - (drewk) - (1)
                                         I am doing that - (orion)
                     Please remove the returns in your post - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         Wish I could. zIWE parser put them in for me. -NT - (tseliot) - (1)
                             You _can_ - (ben_tilly)
                     Table re-done, all purty like... only removed breaks - (folkert)
                     Whoop---Whooop---Whooooop!!! - (folkert) - (1)
                         Ya NUT! - (tseliot)
         Oops, disregard -- double posting! -NT - (CRConrad)
         Re: Alternatives to SQL Server 2000 - (broomberg) - (4)
             Believe me, I do not insist on it - (orion) - (3)
                 I might be smoking rope. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Uh yeah - (orion) - (1)
                         Depends on how you write it. - (mmoffitt)

Too bad dark languages rarely survive...
251 ms