IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thank you!
Now for your next trick:

Are there any tools from taking an Access or SQL Server database and migrating it over to Interbase? I am not talking about those flaky things like Erwin that won't even connect to the SQL Server 2000 (but could to a 6.5 or 7.0 server?) or at least the demo didn't, maybe the full version will? But they are not getting my money until I know it can get the damn job done.

When I did a search on Google to find IB and Firebird migration tools, I found results, but the links to those tools didn't work. Que? Others cost between $50 to $200, but the evaluation and demo versions didn't work, QUE? Are there any f*cking reliable database migration tools that f*cking work and don't cost an arm and a leg to buy? The cheapie ones appear to take one look at our Access or SQL Server database and freak out. Even the Microsoft Access 97/2000 Upsizing Wizard barfed on us. My coworker got p*ssed that I was using tools instead of trying to do it by hand. Yeah, I downloaded the damn things at home, burned a CDR because our company bandwidth sucks, and then took 15 minutes to try those tools out instead of taking a break. She took 20 minutes to chew me out for wasting the company time. If this stuff keeps up, I'm giving back the laptop, leaving the database migration product half-done (Hey good luck guys, see ya!) giving them all the source code and documentation to the projects that I was working on, taking all my computer books, my fan, my personal stuff, and then walking out and becoming a f*cking farmer after selling my house. I'd rather grow corn that have people block my path so I cannot get my job done. I'd grow corn, pay off the farm, n if the Government pays me to not grow corn, I will use that money to get a decent laptop (at least 1.2Ghz) and write Open Sourced software to do what my former employers had been doing. Then port it to as many platforms, databases, etc, that I can. Sound like a plan?

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
New Oh, yeah. Great plan. Good luck with that.
With all yer bitchin, you might have been done doing it manually by now ;)

Or, you could have spent 5 minutes in Google and come across [link|http://groups.google.com/groups?q=perl+access+dbi+structure+%22create+table%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=nfCu7.20025%24DJ3.1619578%40nlnews00.chello.com&rnum=3|this]. Maybe with a little lovin, it would give you the SQL you need to recreate your DB wherever the hell you want, indexes and all.

--
Chris Altmann
New Better link for that script...
[link|http://www.cynergi.net/exportsql/exportsql2b.txt|Here]

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Thank you guys
now if I can just get the two coworkers bashing MySQL to step down, and show my boss a working version of MySQL and use this tool/script to convert it, I might be able to get it to work.

I think that MySQL might be a better front end database than Access, and it would cut out one more Access project. But like I freaking said a million times by now, it is not within my fucking power to choose the database to run this on. It is the owner and the coworkers that have decided on SQL Server and they hired me because I knew SQL Server. Any ideas on how to convince them?

New Then do that
It is the owner and the coworkers that have decided on SQL Server and they hired me because I knew SQL Server.
Then do what they're paying you to do. Learn new skills on your own time on your own dime.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New I am doing that
I am setting up other databases at home. Learning new skills at home. I had an Oracle and SQL Server and MySQL set up at home and Postgres in Cygwin, but I just reformatted the server to start over clean to take work home. I'll put the databases back up, at home, and see what I can do.

I am only developing SQL Server and Access at work. No other database unless they tell me to, but if I learn at home, and they ask me to later, I'll have the skill set. Interbase was downloaded at home, and on my home system, not my server at work or my laptop at work. Besides I try out new software at home anyway.

Alternatives to SQL Server 2000 - (orion) - (38)
         MySQL has table locking. - (static) - (16)
             Re: MySQL has table locking. - (wharris2) - (4)
                 Thans for the info - (orion) - (3)
                     DB2 - (gdaustin) - (1)
                         More Info... - (gdaustin)
                     Revision - (wharris2)
             Do you know - (orion) - (10)
                 First off... - (folkert) - (9)
                     Re: First off... - (orion) - (6)
                         Okay.... Now comes the tough part... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Excuse me - (orion) - (4)
                                 Pardon... - (folkert) - (3)
                                     Getting better now - (orion) - (2)
                                         Re: Way-Way-Cool - (folkert) - (1)
                                             Wow you figured it out? - (orion)
                     Greg, Greg, Greg...K5 moderation... - (kmself) - (1)
                         Uh... Are ewe crit\ufffdi\ufffdciz\ufffding my Englih? or my wait? - (folkert)
         Idea: - (CRConrad) - (14)
             Thanks for the idea - (orion) - (13)
                 FWIW - (tseliot) - (12)
                     Thank you! - (orion) - (5)
                         Oh, yeah. Great plan. Good luck with that. - (altmann) - (4)
                             Better link for that script... - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Thank you guys - (orion) - (2)
                                     Then do that - (drewk) - (1)
                                         I am doing that - (orion)
                     Please remove the returns in your post - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         Wish I could. zIWE parser put them in for me. -NT - (tseliot) - (1)
                             You _can_ - (ben_tilly)
                     Table re-done, all purty like... only removed breaks - (folkert)
                     Whoop---Whooop---Whooooop!!! - (folkert) - (1)
                         Ya NUT! - (tseliot)
         Oops, disregard -- double posting! -NT - (CRConrad)
         Re: Alternatives to SQL Server 2000 - (broomberg) - (4)
             Believe me, I do not insist on it - (orion) - (3)
                 I might be smoking rope. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Uh yeah - (orion) - (1)
                         Depends on how you write it. - (mmoffitt)

Ph34r the triple-recursive meta-LRPD.
170 ms