IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not to increase your wrath but
heard anything on the Amir river border? last I heard it was a seething cauldron with the sovs pushing troops that way. Last news was over a year ago though. Also the Chinese had a thriving Amerian trade from the 1400's on and had a base in washington and traded with Alaska.
thanx,
bill
."Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I had to subsist on food and water for several weeks." W.C. Fields
New Re: Not to increase your wrath but
Amir River, wasn't that where the Soviets sought to humiliate the under fed half armed Chinese in a jointly disputed border zone (certainly wasnt an Invasion). If I recall correctly the out gunned Chinese use wooden sticks to fight the much better armed Russians who shot holes in the Chinese. Oops of course - I am thinking back to the 1960s/70s. Nup not aware of any major Russian Chinese invasions in that area lately.

Re Trade in Washington in 1400s, that could only have been Admiral Zheng and his 7 voyages (as mentioned in my original post). Have seen drawings of his ships & they were awsum for their day. But, there is no mention that I can find about Zheng ever reaching Nth Am.

Perhaps this was someone else but I can find who ?

[link|http://www.chinapage.com/zhenghe.html|Another item & same map of Admiral Zheng's know voyages (no Amerian here)]

[link|http://planet.time.net.my/CentralMarket/melaka101/chengho.htm|Another item & same map of Admiral Zheng's know voyages]

[link|http://www.oceansonline.com/zheng.htm|Voyages of Admiral Zheng]
The intro ...

"Our history of oceanography would not be complete without reference to the contributions that the Chinese have made to ocean exploration. While not as well-known as some of their other scientific and technological contributions, the Chinese own the distinction of assembling the largest fleet to ever sail on the ocean."

etc: etc:

"During his 28 year naval career, Admiral Zheng visited 37 countries, traveled around the tip of Africa into the Atlantic Ocean and commanded a single fleet whose numbers surpassed the combined fleets of all Europe. Between 1405 and 1433, at least 317 ships and 37,000 men were under his command. The flagship of the fleet was a nine-masted vessel measuring 440 feet, nearly 1.5 times the length of a football fields. Traveling with him was Sanbao who created a set of 24 maps praised for their accuracy. Zheng's journeys also stimulated a number of important maritime inventions, including central rudders, watertight compartments and various new types of sails. Perhaps more importantly, his voyages demonstrated the power of the Chinese civilization and yielded many important liasons between China and other nations."

"What makes Zheng's career even more remarkable is his rags-to-riches life story. Born as Ma He in 1371 to poor Muslim parents in Southwest China, he was captured as a young boy by the Chinese Army and castrated, as many prisoners of that time were so treated. Nonetheless, he dedicated himself to his studies, learning several languages and philosophy. At the age of ten, he was hired by a prince, who overthrew the emperor and rewarded Zheng He with command of the fleet."

"Admiral Zheng died in 1433 at the age of 60 on a return voyage from Africa. While his achievements are little known in the West (who give perhaps undue praise to Christopher Columbus), there are at least six images of Admiral Zheng preserved in temples."

"Soon after the Admiral's death, political changes in China diminished the importance of the Navy. It has not been the same since."

Earliest evidence I can find is of De Soto in Nth Am in 1540 ...

[link|http://www.floridahistory.com/|Spanish in Nth America]

Cheers

Doug

New earlier than I thought 499 AD
[link|http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Tower/1217/asia.html|link]
thanx,
bill
."Once, in the wilds of Afghanistan, I had to subsist on food and water for several weeks." W.C. Fields
New Re: Interesting thoughts
"More evidence, according to the program writers, can be found when one goes to
Mexico and examines the Maya ruins. There are some striking similarities in sculpture
types between the early Chinese and Maya. Dragon types and others were presented.
There are also a minority of sculptures that show gods and men with distinctively Oriental
features and facial shapes. That is is distinct contrast to known Maya facial
reconstructions. Further, there was one sculpture presented that showed a man with
obvious Oriental features and a beard. Since it is widely accepted that Native Americans
were without facial hair, this is an oddity to be pondered."

The above has long been a mystery re the Olmec statues (big heads) but I had thought that Olmec culture was over 2500 years old.

I also learned just this week, that researchers in New Zealand have genetic evidence that the Maori polynesians came from China (but their evidence points to Taiwan). I had long believed they were from Southern China but mixed with the Phillipine natives & then journeyed into Polynesia.

The Cook Island Maoris tend to have slightly oriental eyes but that appears to be a recent historical development (visiting Chinese seamen). Not unlike how the Hawaian appearance is now impacted by the Japanese imported their in the 1700s.

Cheers Doug
     Don't forget about Red China - (marlowe) - (17)
         We aren't forgetting about them - (orion)
         M.A.D. II - (Brandioch) - (7)
             You forgot about the "Star Wars" program - (orion) - (6)
                 On $500 hammers - (Steve Lowe) - (5)
                     You can't fix how the government buys things.... - (Simon_Jester)
                     Having spent 11 years in audit defense and . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         The game. Remember it well. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                             Alas, we didn't have that option . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Thanx for ruining it for me - (SpiceWare)
         Re: Do you truly believe that ? - (dmarker2) - (7)
             Not to increase your wrath but - (boxley) - (3)
                 Re: Not to increase your wrath but - (dmarker2) - (2)
                     earlier than I thought 499 AD - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: Interesting thoughts - (dmarker2)
             Well, if they didn't invade it... - (marlowe) - (2)
                 Forget the term RED CHINA, why not try DARK AMERICA it is .. - (dmarker2) - (1)
                     Believe the George Kennan screed is fully equivalent to - (Ashton)

I ripped my pants!
79 ms