IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Having spent 11 years in audit defense and . . .
. . production cost estimating, I know the game pretty well.

My biggest problem was the law that said I couldn't sell to the government at a higher price than I sold to non-government entities, so it was necessary to differentiate the product wherever possible. If we couldn't demonstrate it was a different product, we had to figure out how much we could pad the non-government orders without losing the business. Fortunately, our competitors had the same problem, so it was sort of a game of chicken.

There was also this law that said that the maximum profit you could make on a government contract was 12%, and you had to give a bit to make the purchasing auditor look good, so the real allowed margin was less than 11%. A 10.8% profit just doesn't hack it when you are in a business with a 30% risk, so money has to be buried (and I are an expert at that).

To be awarded the contract, even though I was the low bidder, I had to show the auditor the profit was less than 12%, and at conclusion of every contract, a follow-up audit team would come in to verify we really did make less than 12%, all said and done.

Now, Lockheed, Boeing and McDD had real auditors, and you had to be very careful. Yes, they knew you had to hide money to stay in business, but you'd better be good at it because they were going to take it if they could. Government auditors, were all retired military who got the job on serivce points. If you could keep them awake, you could pull off stuff that would cause an Arthur Andersen partner to blanch white.

So, yes, the government really does get screwed, but not to anything like the extent people presume. When you see a hammer sell for $500, chances are, after meeting the spec and complying with the law and completing the paperwork that critter cost the manufacturer a good $420, perhaps more. On an order for two compliant toilet seats, the manufacturer's cost could easily exceed $1000 each. Just the set-up cost to make just two of anything is stunning - then add all that compliance paperwork . . .

Of course, the government has its reasons. Most of those specifications, regulations and paperwork nightmares were instituted ot prevent fraud. It's just an unfortunate side effect that they make fraud mandatory for survival.

Now, my experience is all pre-COTS (Commercial Off the Shelf), but I'me sure that's just made the game even more complex and interesting.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New The game. Remember it well.
My biggest problem was the law that said I couldn't sell to the government at a higher price than I sold to non-government entities, so it was necessary to differentiate the product wherever possible.

What we did was to include a separate line item on the contract for "paperwork", another line item for "mil-spec packaging" and finally, a line item for DoD "inspection". These were all demonstratable costs, based on our shop rate and G&A expense. That way I could sell the part to the feds at the same price I would sell it to the OEM (quantity discounts and price increases over time notwithstanding), retain the margin, and not take a bath on the cost of doing the other stuff.

The mil-spec packaging was the best. Take a coupler made out of aluminun that's about an inch and half diameter and about an inch long. This part would have to be sealed in a plastic bag with the proper DoD part numbering information on it. It would have to then be individually boxed with more identification information, then those boxes would be put in larger boxes. Every piece of that packaging has to meet military standards and be certified from its manufacturer, right down to the ink used to print the information on the bags and boxes. Oh, and the the bags..the heat seal on the bags had to be tested (per government issue statistical sampling plans, of course) for strength and water tightness (some of the planes were on aircraft carriers). Same thing with the tape on the boxes.

I had costs for all of that, and a squeaky clean audit trail to prove it.

Finally, we weren't out to screw the government, our direct sales to the feds were mainly spares for aircraft already in service. The orginal part was sold to the OEM as commercial (FAA compliant) hardware, the same parts as used on commercial and private aircraft. We wanted (needed) to at least break even.

Glad I'm not in that biz anymore, but I am working on a side project that falls under FDA requirements...which is starting to make the DoD look like a cakewalk.
-----
Steve
New Alas, we didn't have that option . .
. . the requirements we had from the primes were at least as stringent - and their inspectors were a lot pickier. Stuff that was good, but might be questioned, was marked "Not for primes" and sold to the government.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Don't forget about Red China - (marlowe) - (17)
         We aren't forgetting about them - (orion)
         M.A.D. II - (Brandioch) - (7)
             You forgot about the "Star Wars" program - (orion) - (6)
                 On $500 hammers - (Steve Lowe) - (5)
                     You can't fix how the government buys things.... - (Simon_Jester)
                     Having spent 11 years in audit defense and . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         The game. Remember it well. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                             Alas, we didn't have that option . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Thanx for ruining it for me - (SpiceWare)
         Re: Do you truly believe that ? - (dmarker2) - (7)
             Not to increase your wrath but - (boxley) - (3)
                 Re: Not to increase your wrath but - (dmarker2) - (2)
                     earlier than I thought 499 AD - (boxley) - (1)
                         Re: Interesting thoughts - (dmarker2)
             Well, if they didn't invade it... - (marlowe) - (2)
                 Forget the term RED CHINA, why not try DARK AMERICA it is .. - (dmarker2) - (1)
                     Believe the George Kennan screed is fully equivalent to - (Ashton)

I never want to see that line out of context.
51 ms