IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I accept that
Most people listen to music. Is that a reasonable assumption or am I projecting?

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+percentage+of+the+general+population+listens+to+music

Okay, at least I'm correct there. Or at least in the US since other countries/cultures have a different musical attitudes. And it's forbidden in some places, those evil bastards.
New Oh sure, most people do -- and I think that's a problem.
The older I get, the more convinced I become that my grumpy old father was right in observing, back when the Walkman was new (late 1970s, early 80s, was it?): "Seems people want to marinate their brains in constant background noise. Must be to drown out their own thoughts."

My own additions over the decades have amounted only to an equally cynical: Or cover up the lack thereof, or make sure there aren't any in the first place.

I really think the world would be better off if people didn't do that.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Music is a gift
I can't produce it. I can only enjoy it. Yes, the Walkman was the late '70s. I had one.

Music turns any task of drudgery into an enjoyable pastime. Clean the house with music and I'm bopping along having a good time. Clean the house without music and I am a sad and depressed person. Music makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, I can't have music when I am attempting to be productive. It is too distracting. Even the music without words can't beat silence when trying to be productive. But methamphetamine combined with jackhammer ear plugs comes close.

Back to music. Music is great and anyone who doesn't enjoy music is brain damaged in some manner. I don't have a hope of predicting their thought process and I certainly can't trust that my thought patterns will ever align with theirs so I should stay away from them.
New Speaking of music, I consider this one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever experienced
https://youtu.be/qV9C6Am8xzk?si=HkCtZoMCwZBYZ0ix
M mentioned that she found something I was worried about. So she eased my mind. And this song came to mind.

Obviously I missed out on the fact that Judas was pissed at Christ for wasting money that should have gone to the poor. Christ was a prick. At least in this portrayal.

I am very happy that I live in a time that I can repeat the following pattern. A daily experience reminds me of a song. I hum a bar or two of the song and then go: I can have this for real. 30 seconds of YouTube searching later shows me half a dozen copies of this song, some live, some raw recorded and other's artistically recorded with an MTV video. I click on the one I want and enjoy.

This is incredible. Before my time frame, it would be a matter of old people chanting by the fire. Or very rich people being entertained by the musicians. And then recordings showed up a few decades before my birth. And the world changed.

In my youth it was limited to the number of records I could afford. Or the amount of time I could waste while recording off the radio. As I got older it became a matter of how many CDs I was willing to carry around with me. I had a thousand lb of CDs in milk crates. And it was an enormous amount of effort to go find a particular song to listen to. I'm so happy I sold them all at a used record store.

Now I have at will choice of an infinite amount of music. I don't know how long this will last but I will enjoy it while it does.
Expand Edited by crazy April 9, 2024, 05:12:46 AM EDT
New That’s the most Scandahoovian thing I’ve heard for a while.
Did he also regard food having appealing flavour and texture as unnecessary frivolity?
New You don't see the difference between food, necessary for life, being tasty...
....and having totally unnecessary muzak blaring in your ears all the time?

Also, seeing how my Dad was as TcheRRman as it gets -- descended from Prussian Junkers -- I don't think his idea was particularly Scandalahoovian.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Sigh
Stop enjoying what I don't (or feel too guilty to) enjoy!

How does a culture that indoctrinates that not die off just from mass suicide? Full-Time depression as a way of life is not that attractive.

Also, my music is not muzak, it is very tasty. I don't take whatever's thrown at me, I choose everything I listen to. It's not a requirement for life but it sure adds a whole bunch of spice to make it more pleasurable. And it's not full-time. I haven't turned any music on today. But just having the choice sitting there makes me feel good.
New No no, you keep on enjoying whatever the fuck you want to enjoy.
Just don't fool yourself into ignoring what it actually is you're enjoying -- freedom from thought -- or thinking that not listening to your own thoughts -- not thinking -- is necessarily a good thing.

I mean, you indulge in the Weed, but there you do it as a calculated risk, don't you? You know it probably isn't good for you, but you decide to do it anyway to some limited extent that you feel you can afford. I think there is some such extent beyond which people can't afford to numb their brains with muzak either. And yes, good for you that you seem to treat your "music" (however "tasty" your personal brand of muzak may be...) the same way.

But judging from how indiscriminately and incessantly most people seem to be blaring stuff at their own brains, that idea never occurred to most people. So they don't do that calculation and just blithely pop in their earbuds and drown out whatever they otherwise might be thinking, for far too much of their limited time on Earth. That's why I'm all in favour of you doing whatever the fuck you want to your brain -- it's yours, not mine, after all, so your problem, not mine -- but I'm not in favour of you or anyone else minimising this issue, or (the ultimate minimising) even acknowledging that it even exists at all.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New K.
"Drowning out your thoughts" is orthogonal to "listening to music".

Personally, music helps me organize my thoughts. YMMV, and apparently does.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: No no, you keep on enjoying whatever the fuck you want to enjoy.
Bold of you to assume all the things you assume here:
Just don’t fool yourself into ignoring what it actually is you’re enjoying – freedom from thought – or thinking that not listening to your own thoughts – not thinking – is necessarily a good thing.

ETA: Also, have you considered that the problem is you, and you’re basically incompetent at listening to music whilst doing other things?
Expand Edited by pwhysall April 22, 2024, 03:36:21 PM EDT
New Nope, that's not it. Neither of them.
Bold of you to assume all the things you assume here:
Just don’t fool yourself into ignoring what it actually is you’re enjoying – freedom from thought – or thinking that not listening to your own thoughts – not thinking – is necessarily a good thing.
Can't really see how that's much of an asumption. It's what people here have pretty much said themselves.

have you considered that the problem is you, and you’re basically incompetent at listening to music whilst doing other things?

No, I don't think that's it. I just don't see why I would want to. Why should I?

But yeah, I think I can chew bubblegum and walk at the same time.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New It’s not what people have said at all
In fact, Scott said “Personally, music helps me organize my thoughts”, which is the stone cold opposite of what you’re saying.

Look, you do you. You enjoy listening to the sound of your own inner monologue reminding you you’re right all the time? Awesome. Knock yourself out.

But don’t bring your “can’t listen to music and think at the same time” energy around here and expect it to be a shared experience.

And I have no idea what that video is all about, other than “thanks, I hate it”.
New Better Swedish music:
Regards,
-scott
New Sweden has explaining to do.
New WTF!?!?
Someone recorded this and put it out for other people to critique on purpose?!

At a minute I started hitting buttons to try to at least understand a translation. No translation. Oh well. No. I will not assault my senses with this garbage. People do this on purpose?

In the old days I used to listen to Black Sabbath. Many intros in Black Sabbath was random garbage. Like these people just got their first guitar lesson. It was crap. And then little bits and pieces built from the edges. And then you find out how masterful it was. It all came together in this incredible crescendo of perfection. I'm not giving this video the 10 minutes to see if it's going to get there. I do nothing all day and yet I still would not give this particular video that time out of my life. Unless you tell me it's worth it as opposed to something you posted just to torture me.
New It's 10 minutes of the same 30 second loop.
You're welcome.
Regards,
-scott
New Strobe warning!
Holy s***! Are you trying to trigger seizures!?

Okay, yes. Sweden's got some explaining to do. This is not music. Computer!!! Create me noise that will cause seizures in humans! Computer response: Got it!

But: I have no idea what they're saying. Give me some English translation so I have a better idea of what they are trying to do here. I have no idea how to even try. Exercise left to reader.
New Reader = you. Start with the video title. Or read the comments.
New K. Actually not. GIYF FFS, don't be so lazy.
Regards,
-scott
New trigger seazures? listen to Abba
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Get off my lawn alert
Uh-Oh, I triggered the smartest man alive.

For many years I nurtured the illusion that I was the smartest guy in the room. Except for the most part, I knew it wasn't true because I chose the people that were in the room. I hired them as part of my team and I wanted them smarter than me because I knew the smarter they were the better my team would be. Executives would always discount the smarter people around me and tried to stroke me by telling me how smart I was. Because they knew that as long as they kept me happy they'd make money.

I didn't care about the stroking but I sure loved the salary. They didn't realize that style of stroking is insulting. I don't give a s*** what you think of my code. You can't possibly understand my code or the effort that went into my code. But here you are telling me how brilliant I am because of my code. This could be pig Latin for all you knew and you'd still be saying the same thing. Executive stroking is annoying. Good thing the job was usually fun.

I knew my place in the world then and I know it now. I was a part of a team of three people whose project ended in the result of the death of 60,000 people in the United States as of a certain date about 8 years ago according to the radio report. So I figure I'm personally responsible for the death of 20,000 people. This was not a weapons project. This was a junk mail project. So I have an oversized sensitivity of the ability of individuals to actually have a large impact on other people. Usually negatively though. Something tells me you're still trying to figure yourself out.

At this point I'm not competing in the tech world. At this point I don't have any personal situation where I need to be competing with anyone. That's when I have to be smart. F*** that, I'd rather be happy.

The roughest moment of my life on a daily basis is trying to figure out what the f*** that noise was?! The cat just grabbed something and flung it across the room. And then it comes barreling at me and throws its 20 lb body against my chest and nuzzles my neck and we cuddle and purr. What did you do today that made you that happy, the level of happiness I have every 10 minutes? That's it. The roughest moment is a step just below joy.

Besides music, you want to know the perfect distraction to zone into? Kitten videos, puppy videos, puppy and kitten together videos. Get that oxytocin running. You probably want me to stop watching those too.

So yes, I will keep on enjoying my life, thank you very much, with or without music.
Expand Edited by crazy April 25, 2024, 12:25:46 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy April 25, 2024, 12:39:50 PM EDT
New Music is necessary for my mental health
Necessary, not optional, mandatory.
New That noise you listen to isn't music :⁠-⁠P
This is the part where Petey brings up the hair metal I had on my HD when we all started sharing our collections.
--

Drew
New Sounds like a weird crutch. Is there an underlying issue to try to address in stead?
New Yes. The underlying issue is that music is food for the soul.
So sorry you don’t understand this.

What’s your crutch? Everyone has one. No exceptions.
New Are you one of those people who has to turn down the car radio so you can focus on a street address?
Lots of people on the spectrum can't tune out distractions.
--

Drew
New I am
Good thing the Kia Niro has my phone GPS and music integrated and when the GPS needs to talk it quickly fades out the music and says what it needs to say and then fades the music back in. I love that feature! .

I also yell at M to shut up while she continues to talk. I'm about to miss a turn. I'm driving in traffic that I have to weave around. We could die any second. I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I know the voice will tell me what to do next.

High stress moment. Life and death decisions. Or merely being late. We're about to miss a plane. It's usually about to miss a plane since that's the only time I drive nowadays.

And M continues to talk over the voice but now is talking louder. And I miss the turn. And then I have 10 minutes drive around and pull a u-turn and explain to M that she has to shut up when the b**** is talking. The b**** is telling me what to do. You are not telling me what to do at that moment, the b**** is telling me what to do, and you are talking over the b****. Can you tell I have a love-hate relationship with my GPS?
     Ai music maker - (crazy) - (32)
         Fewer people, more leverage - (drook)
         No. - (CRConrad) - (27)
             I accept that - (crazy) - (26)
                 Oh sure, most people do -- and I think that's a problem. - (CRConrad) - (25)
                     Music is a gift - (crazy) - (1)
                         Speaking of music, I consider this one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever experienced - (crazy)
                     That’s the most Scandahoovian thing I’ve heard for a while. - (pwhysall) - (22)
                         You don't see the difference between food, necessary for life, being tasty... - (CRConrad) - (21)
                             Sigh - (crazy) - (14)
                                 No no, you keep on enjoying whatever the fuck you want to enjoy. - (CRConrad) - (13)
                                     K. - (malraux)
                                     Re: No no, you keep on enjoying whatever the fuck you want to enjoy. - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                         Nope, that's not it. Neither of them. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                             It’s not what people have said at all - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                 Better Swedish music: - (malraux) - (7)
                                                     Sweden has explaining to do. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                     WTF!?!? - (crazy) - (1)
                                                         It's 10 minutes of the same 30 second loop. - (malraux)
                                                     Strobe warning! - (crazy) - (3)
                                                         Reader = you. Start with the video title. Or read the comments. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                         K. Actually not. GIYF FFS, don't be so lazy. -NT - (malraux)
                                                         trigger seazures? listen to Abba -NT - (boxley)
                                     Get off my lawn alert - (crazy)
                             Music is necessary for my mental health - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 That noise you listen to isn't music :⁠-⁠P - (drook)
                                 Sounds like a weird crutch. Is there an underlying issue to try to address in stead? -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                     Yes. The underlying issue is that music is food for the soul. - (pwhysall)
                                     Are you one of those people who has to turn down the car radio so you can focus on a street address? - (drook) - (1)
                                         I am - (crazy)
         It's been a problem for ebooks for years. - (static)
         Robots - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             What's an average factory/ blue collar worker cost per year? - (crazy)

Na'ghimgor thdid lym.
Myn th'x barsoom lu'gndar.
In'path gix mth'nabor.
In'path nox vel'dekk.
Yig sudeth M'cylorum.
M'xxlit kraddath Soggoth im'betnk.
Nog s'dath blexmed!
170 ms