IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 'Twas my first wonderment also;
IF you've altered ALL the C.G. relationships to such a degree that: you even have to glue-together an MCAS kluge ...
[shades of the "flies like a brick"==completely un-Pilotable IF the many feedback systems are cut off: in most War-planes du jour]

THEN: (the difficulties always of, 'proving a negative') until you do all the white-knuckle aerobatics tests--so highly unlikely re any gigantic Flying Auditorium--
[save for that period of Inverted-flight for n-minutes : in that Crash (not a MAX IIRC) near LAX wherein they indeed kept the sucker almost stably in-the-air until the same uncontrollability sent it augering-in to the ocean, straight down]

THEN: just HOW 'flyable' IS? this NEW-design amidst the vicissitudes of weather, engine-failure on one side [new "virtual-CG physics" re that lopsided-power thing, added to physical CG matters] ..and like that. I mean, when the static-CG MEANS that the plane will always want to fly Nose-^UP^ unless a bloody handful of sensors and software/assumed Perfect ... are always on-line? Acceptable in a Military plane? Yess, one supposes. In an aircraft with hundreds aboard? 'Course then there's Airbus, but I digress.

{Don't ask the dis-U.S. Supreme Court to make This call, eh? :-/ }

Worst case: what IF this glue-on-some bigger/heavier engines wherever we can make them fit has created a Very-expensive Franken-Liner?
(which brings us back to the FACT): that *this* 'NEW Design" was permitted by FAA et alia: to SKIP the mandatory Flight Simulator Time/per every Pilot: and go into production as a mere ".."made a few improvements", cha. cha. cha.
I smell BIG-$$$ payed-out and Boeing public spanking--and a reduced Trust of the entire U.S. plane-certifying process--at least in the minds of the semi-ept ..and maybe even the proles.
Expand Edited by Ashton March 13, 2019, 03:53:17 PM EDT
New It still handles fine in level flight
The nacelles are designed so they do not generate lift at cruising attitude. The problem shows up at higher angles of attack, as at take-off, because then the nacelles do generate lift and the moment acts to push the nose even higher.
     I would be quite nervous about flying in a 737-Max - (Another Scott) - (23)
         It's the anti-stall system. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
             It kinda sounds like a PID tuning issue to me. - (Another Scott) - (19)
                 Re: But imagine you're on a roller coaster... - (mmoffitt) - (18)
                     As said before (not just by moi) - (Ashton) - (17)
                         From 11-14-18: "Boeing’s automatic trim for the 737 MAX was not disclosed to the Pilots" - (Ashton) - (16)
                             Whom to believe? - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                 not sure what it takes do disable that particular fly by wire function - (boxley) - (2)
                                     If I were captain or first officer on one, I think I'd turn it off during taxi. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         makes sense -NT - (boxley)
                                 Methinks that in this compact essay.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Bemused LRPD sez: "There should be an opportunity for somebody here". ;^> Love. It. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Former DOT Inspector General echoes the themes of this thread--on Amanpour: - (Ashton)
                                 B may have pushed the 737 design a step too far - (scoenye) - (8)
                                     No "off button" but there *are* "Cut-Out Switches". And they aren't hidden. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                         "Pilots complained about the 737 Max in a federal database" - (Ashton) - (3)
                                             From that very article. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                 from the WaPo today - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                     Somewhat agree. - (mmoffitt)
                                         Thanks. Misread that first time around. - (scoenye)
                                     'Twas my first wonderment also; - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         It still handles fine in level flight - (scoenye)
         some Boeing background - (rcareaga)
         story on the history of the 737 - (lincoln)

Your Spork God[tm] is HERE!
104 ms