IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New from the WaPo today
Pilots were abuzz over publicly available radar data that showed the aircraft had accelerated far beyond what is considered standard practice, for reasons that remain unclear.

“The thing that is most abnormal is the speed,” said John Cox, an aviation safety consultant and former 737 pilot.

“The speed is very high,” said Mr. Cox, a former executive air safety chairman of the Air Line Pilots Association in the United States. “The question is why. The plane accelerates far faster than it should.”
I suppose we can’t rule out “pilot error” when it comes to the crew’s response, but it appears to me that a Boeing product ought not to require the pilots to correct behavior like this a few minutes into the flight.

cordially,
New Somewhat agree.
While I agree "a Boeing product ought not to require the pilots to correct behavior like this", I also hold that it is more important that "any product allow for pilots to correct behavior like this." This is the heart of my rationale for never looking at airlines when booking flights, but only at aircraft and only fly an Airbus product if (1) it is an emergency and (2) there is no other option available.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     I would be quite nervous about flying in a 737-Max - (Another Scott) - (23)
         It's the anti-stall system. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
             It kinda sounds like a PID tuning issue to me. - (Another Scott) - (19)
                 Re: But imagine you're on a roller coaster... - (mmoffitt) - (18)
                     As said before (not just by moi) - (Ashton) - (17)
                         From 11-14-18: "Boeing’s automatic trim for the 737 MAX was not disclosed to the Pilots" - (Ashton) - (16)
                             Whom to believe? - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                 not sure what it takes do disable that particular fly by wire function - (boxley) - (2)
                                     If I were captain or first officer on one, I think I'd turn it off during taxi. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         makes sense -NT - (boxley)
                                 Methinks that in this compact essay.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Bemused LRPD sez: "There should be an opportunity for somebody here". ;^> Love. It. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Former DOT Inspector General echoes the themes of this thread--on Amanpour: - (Ashton)
                                 B may have pushed the 737 design a step too far - (scoenye) - (8)
                                     No "off button" but there *are* "Cut-Out Switches". And they aren't hidden. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                         "Pilots complained about the 737 Max in a federal database" - (Ashton) - (3)
                                             From that very article. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                 from the WaPo today - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                     Somewhat agree. - (mmoffitt)
                                         Thanks. Misread that first time around. - (scoenye)
                                     'Twas my first wonderment also; - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         It still handles fine in level flight - (scoenye)
         some Boeing background - (rcareaga)
         story on the history of the 737 - (lincoln)

He wasn't always this way. He used to be a genial nerd, like many of us.
168 ms