IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It was.. 'the only way'; with Climate properly addressed.. damn soon-
the vox pop might have the sense of Relief as to actually grok Climate to fullness and ... do the Right-thing re Single-payer too. Might.. ...

Of Course these Are all "IFs"! ... 'Muricans may blow either or both; it's what they Do Do, (whether or not time were running out for their spawn's chances.)
New Drum makes a decent point re addressing Climate Change/GND
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2019/02/my-abridged-green-new-deal/

There has been some confusion about exactly what I meant in my climate change post on Tuesday. Since I’m in no shape to write anything lengthy, this is a perfect opportunity to boil it down to a sentence or two. Here it is:

If you’re serious about climate change—really serious—then your plan cannot demand very much sacrifice from people. Maybe none, in fact.

That’s it. You will never get widespread support for any plan that requires people to give up the stuff they like. I know that it’s much harder to think of a plan with negligible sacrifice that nevertheless makes a serious dent in climate change—the laundry list of all the usual suspects is much easier—but that’s too bad. The laundry list will never get public support, so if that’s your answer you aren’t really taking the problem seriously.

Keep in mind that the “problem” we’re trying to address is not climate change and never has been. The problem is how to get public support to do something about climate change. That’s what you need to pour all your energy into. And just to give you something to throw brickbats at, here’s my four-step plan:

* Lots and lots of subsidies for renewable energy, energy efficiency, electrification, etc.
* Huge sums of money for R&D into renewable energy and carbon sequestration.
* A strong focus on job creation.
* A whopping big carbon tax that mostly hits the affluent, with plenty of deficit spending to make up the rest

This is, obviously, not feasible right now. But nothing is feasible for the next couple of years. What we need right now is some serious thinking about what to do if and when liberals gain the political power to do anything, and that thinking needs to unapologetically focus on how to demand the smallest possible sacrifice from the largest number of people.

One can argue with the emphasis, but I think he's mostly right. Doing a few somethings soon is more important than fighting for everything that rationally should be done. Because humans aren't rational. Fighting for the perfect means nothing will happen.

Similarly with Bernie's M4A plan...

Cheers,
Scott.
New A whopping big carbon tax that mostly hits the affluent
well how will they be able to afford their private jets to fly to the climate change conferences?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New As usual..l your snark is deflected upon the Rong-target. As usual. As usual. Carrion: it's >Here<
New Apropos..
I've auditioned a few of the emerging 'Communication Experts' (focussed upon the Problem of the Many un-Teachables, though they necessarily employ euphemisms for *those*)

Yes.. there Are many 'points' these make re non-combative overtures, some examples of relevant topics as might ease-in-to the jelloware of... Many, I wot BUT: nary a one has (some have so stated) ANY Plan which could--let alone 'may'--even begin to break the concrete-wall of those who, for 'religio' -as a reason? or 'mindset of that': utterly refuse even to discuss the possibility that [all this bad shit] could be stark-truthiness AND what that *MEANS* for every living creature.

Again: these summaries from the few, the experienced/ Pros: aimed at all-the-above. (Never mind my 'takes' nor POV --> re Probabilites. Next. and for the foreseeable:

~~Comfort IS a drug! I aver: to homo-saps; especially for the masses now so accustomed to setting the [one-piece heat/cool meter] to My Temp 24/7-with timed-low-for night: 365 days a year. Wear sweater in house? WHAT!? are you KIDDING? etc. ergo your "creeping gradualism is The Way we Get Things Done ..used to be words to live by, Cratchit. But manifestly we do not have a Generation to ease-out-of the massive acquisition of toys + other stuff of Status (or just Xmas-every-Day obsessions), so necessary for bizness to feed itself via ever increasing that lust? disease? of More Stuff (and the Need must grow with the population).
Profits. ho-hum; add plethora of already discovered mental aberrations caused by Stress, ad infinitum and much of those: via the Religion of Vulture-caoitalismo--is that already inside the collective-genes (?)

The earth's over-Population was addressed a long time ago by Ehrlich; prior to him: many ..way back to Malthus: "food grows geometrically; popuation grows exponentially" etc. (This is only Rocket-science to those who have no glimmer of an idea of how/why Rockets so-simply 'work') + all the other similes on down to: a water-pipe system (pressures, dia. of pipes] as analogue of the majotr electrical formulae.

These are things/forces dealt with daily/hourly! yet: uncountably many Haven't the Foggiest how *anything* 'works' nor curiosity-enough first to Care, thence to Learn, finally to Act--> "as if your life depended on it". ALL THAT is just cha. cha. cha. to a Deciding %vox-pop du jour, I.M.Experience. these n-decades.

tl;dr I have no option but to Sell Short ..this Market of Imbeciles who near-exactly mirror The-(fucking)-Eloi created by Mr. Wells.. those many moons ago. Where we *are* is [Alex's sig. writ Hyarge]

We have become collectively-Too-Stupid even to keep our nests 'Habitable' nay: Existing At All. q. e. fucking-d.

But I remain optimistic in one area: I shall not have to observe the gnashing-of-teeth, the bands of self-scourgers emulating the droves during The medieval Plague(s), nor bear the daily, "I'm Praying for Our Salvation" as may replace even Faux-News as mandatory-mass-distraction. When my "body drops off" I shall be Free/or in oblivion: flip coin. I can happily live/die with that Final Query answered (if anything is listening then?)

Carrion :-) Sometimes it's a Happy Dance ;^>
     Medicare for (Something) - (Another Scott) - (24)
         ..which kinda makes Bernie The Good Guy™, thus.. - (Ashton) - (23)
             He had 16 co-sponsors in the 115th Congress. - (Another Scott) - (22)
                 Ever thus, that last: but when the near-Future-at-all is at stake? What. Do? (besides cringe) -NT - (Ashton) - (21)
                     Incremental progress is the path forward. It has always been that way. :-) - (Another Scott) - (20)
                         It was.. 'the only way'; with Climate properly addressed.. damn soon- - (Ashton) - (4)
                             Drum makes a decent point re addressing Climate Change/GND - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 A whopping big carbon tax that mostly hits the affluent - (boxley) - (1)
                                     As usual..l your snark is deflected upon the Rong-target. As usual. As usual. Carrion: it's >Here< -NT - (Ashton)
                                 Apropos.. - (Ashton)
                         Right. That's exactly how we got to the moon. And Medicare. And Medicaid. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                             Yes, exactly. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                 So, all that would have happened without the President's speech? - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                     Counter-factuals are always fun. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                         I'm well aware that Soviet Russia guided us. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                             Re: I'm well aware that Soviet Russia guided us. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                 "For our parents or grandparents"? How old are you? Six? - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                     Heh. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                         A primary problem with college today is the idiotic notion that everyone should attend. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                             Why shouldn't people go to college? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                 I don't think "free" and "free tuition" are the same thing. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                                     You'd like Mike Rowe - (drook) - (3)
                                                                         I came to my view by being a TA. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                             "Is the wavelength of light bigger than a breadbox?"* - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                 Das Deutschers ..properly? call it a Wissenschafft - (Ashton)

This is atomic powered gaslighting.
98 ms