IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why shouldn't people go to college?
Our brains don't stop developing until we're ~ 25.

Life is much, much more complicated now than it was 100 years ago.

Why isn't 2-4 more years of school a good thing?

(Note that I'm including some trade schools, on the job training, apprenticeships, etc., in this discussion. Whatever you want to call it, people need to be learning in formal settings past the age of 18.)

"Hey, grandpa left school in the 6th grade so that's good enough for me!!"

>:-p

But you're moving the goal posts - you don't honestly think that "free college" would cause huge problems for 4-year universities?

Cheers,
Scott.
New I don't think "free" and "free tuition" are the same thing.
And, no, I don't think "free" in any case necessarily causes problems for four year schools. Provided, of course, only fit applicants are allowed into university.

With respect to trade schools, union halls, apprenticeships, etc. I think we're on the same page and I'm of the firm view that only about 15-20% or Muricans are qualified university applicants. The rest can join a union, become an apprentice, go to a trade school or what have you. There's no reason for them to be occupying space in a university.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New You'd like Mike Rowe
He's a huge fan of trade schools and apprenticeships, and the idea that "college" should be reserved for the qualified.

He's also funded by the Koch brothers. It's possible they may have arrived at their views via reasoning somewhat different from yours. I wonder what criteria they'd use to identify "qualified" applicants.
--

Drew
New I came to my view by being a TA.
It is both stunning and alarming how many students are admitted to four year colleges and universities in this country who have not mastered high school algebra. You'd be amazed.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New "Is the wavelength of light bigger than a breadbox?"*
You'd be amazed by all kinds of things.

That doesn't mean that people don't learn at and benefit from college.

Cheers,
Scott
* - that supposedly was a PhD oral exam question that someone had trouble with... :-/
New Das Deutschers ..properly? call it a Wissenschafft
Knowledge Factory; much can be extrapolated from the sense that: not Everyone IS really in search of that "liberal education" idea--so Many are in-it-for-the-Future-Money--and That's All! for a group as larges as you wish to 'define'.

Some folks imagineer that: being force-fed a variety of emotionally-sound Ideas--into a confirmed-Racist or Xen ophobe ..or just plain materialist-folk: they'd Change.

(More words would be superfluous, if this isn't a q.e.d.)
;^>
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 27, 2019, 12:03:20 AM EST
     Medicare for (Something) - (Another Scott) - (24)
         ..which kinda makes Bernie The Good Guy™, thus.. - (Ashton) - (23)
             He had 16 co-sponsors in the 115th Congress. - (Another Scott) - (22)
                 Ever thus, that last: but when the near-Future-at-all is at stake? What. Do? (besides cringe) -NT - (Ashton) - (21)
                     Incremental progress is the path forward. It has always been that way. :-) - (Another Scott) - (20)
                         It was.. 'the only way'; with Climate properly addressed.. damn soon- - (Ashton) - (4)
                             Drum makes a decent point re addressing Climate Change/GND - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 A whopping big carbon tax that mostly hits the affluent - (boxley) - (1)
                                     As usual..l your snark is deflected upon the Rong-target. As usual. As usual. Carrion: it's >Here< -NT - (Ashton)
                                 Apropos.. - (Ashton)
                         Right. That's exactly how we got to the moon. And Medicare. And Medicaid. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                             Yes, exactly. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                 So, all that would have happened without the President's speech? - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                     Counter-factuals are always fun. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                         I'm well aware that Soviet Russia guided us. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                             Re: I'm well aware that Soviet Russia guided us. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                 "For our parents or grandparents"? How old are you? Six? - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                     Heh. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                         A primary problem with college today is the idiotic notion that everyone should attend. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                             Why shouldn't people go to college? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                 I don't think "free" and "free tuition" are the same thing. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                                     You'd like Mike Rowe - (drook) - (3)
                                                                         I came to my view by being a TA. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                             "Is the wavelength of light bigger than a breadbox?"* - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                 Das Deutschers ..properly? call it a Wissenschafft - (Ashton)

Ultima ratio regum.
108 ms