IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why is no one congratulating Samantha Bee for her excellent use of words?
This country is really too much. You aren't allowed to call a feckless cunt a feckless cunt apparently. Ivanka Trump is the archetype of a feckless cunt. All this handwringing. Somebody use a dictionary for Christ's sake.

According to the Oxford English dictionary, "a feckless cunt" is "An irresponsible, unpleasant or stupid person who lacks strength of character."

Somebody want to tell me what English phrase better describes Ivanka Trump?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New I cunt help but wonder
It was an own goal, though, and bolsters the fatuous both-siderism that the media are prone to. Over at “No More Mister Nice Blog,” sitemeister Steve M. has this to say:
And yet it was clear that this was coming, because within hours of the cancellation of Roseanne Barr’s show, the right was looking for a non-conservative scalp. Attention was first focused on Bill Maher, who once joked that Trump seemed to have descended from an orangutan. The attack on Maher didn't work—comparing white people to non-human primates is clearly not historically linked to bigotry. But it was obvious that the right wanted blood, and would use all of its narrative-shaping resources to demonize the first left-leaning comic who walked into the ambush.

[snip]

It was predictable that Bee would be the target if she used this word in this way at this time, and it might have made sense fore her to weigh the value of keeping her show on the air for the foreseeable future against the possibility—no, the likelihood—that this one naughty-word joke could sink her entire career. Was that one joke worth the risk? And wasn’t the risk foreseeable?

I'm not saying, “Liberals, censor yourselves.” I'm saying, “Liberals, don’t give the bastards an opening.”
The rest of the piece (not particularly long) is worth a look. Tactics, people!

cordially,
New Speaking of tactics, I want to thank Rosanne
One of the harder lines of bullshit to refute is when someone defends racism by saying, "Islam isn't a race." Because it's not.

The reality, of course, is that most of the people wanting to ban Muslims are perfectly happy to catch Sikhs in the same net ... and pretty much all those swarthy folks.

But by putting "Muslim" and "ape" in the same insult, Rosanne has exposed the correct frame: Bill Maher gets a pass on the orangutan jokes because that's an insult that's thrown at people of color in general. He's not saying it about Trump because of his race but on his own personal "merits".

In the same way, no one "accuses" white people of being Muslims. White Democrats "hate America" because ... well, just because, apparently. But black Democrats are "secret Muslims".

So yes, I know Islam isn't a race. But I also know that people who think it's an insult use it interchangeably with racial slurs.
--

Drew
New simian slurs
From ten years ago, Exhibit A.

cordially,
New I agree with the (currently) top comment.
johanobesus • 18 hours ago

I don't know, they don't need an opening. They are fighting a war to exterminate their enemies. They have no shame, no compassion, no scruples, no mercy. They have mostly won, so at this point I don't think descending to their level is going to do any extra damage. Just maybe, if we are as offensive and aggressive as them, it will become impossible for the media gate keepers to use it against us. There used to be pearl clutching over Limbaugh and his ilk, but they embraced it and kept pushing, and now they can get away with almost anything (almost).

Exactly. What was the opening for "3 million illegal immigrants voted in 2016" or "Obama was born in Kenya" or "largest inaugural attendance period." and on and on?

They don't "play fair" so what does it matter? And, again, her description of Ivanka was spot on.
bcnu,
Mikem

New For all the people saying she was offensive, are any of them saying she was wrong?
--

Drew
New what all of the talking heads and others like ya'all is that rosanne wasn't fired for watch she said
she was fired for how much it would have cost to keep the show on. Same reason the other potty mouth won't be fired, even with the backlash her numbers may go up, there is no downside. Or perhaps the talking heads do recognize it is the cost of what you say, not what you say and are making bucks by yakking about it.

Howard Stern proved the value of the concept many years ago.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New ABC was reportedly looking for a reason to cancel Rosanne's show.
This is not the case for Samantha Bee. But she didn't want to unnecessarily give them a reason. OTOH, Roseanne had form.

Wade.
New ..a timely quip re Oz
via a KOS thread, en passant:

kenwards June

Trump is a sociopath. We have a sociopath in the White House. He is devoid of human empathy, among other things.

Perhaps the best tweet I’ve seen in a while I noticed earlier from an Australian.
Something to the effect of the differences between the two countries.

"In America we get upset about someone using vulgar language, while in Australia they get more upset if someone shoots their school kids."

Now that’s wacky.
Recommended 51 times

jayden kenwards June 01 · 11:20:53 AM
This country in a nutshell...

{sigh}
Maybe in six months we can begin triage on repairing the mindless destruction (best case)
Or if the dogma ate all the good Karma: so we can't even halt the demolition?
Then find out who will tolerate Ex-Pats from a banana republic..?
(Still??)
New You know what would have been interesting?
Have Rosanne the character tweet the stupid racist shit on the show and see the other characters react to it.
--

Drew
New Moi likes. But that would have required guts amongst the Producer-class.
New All this storm over Samantha Bee is really good.
Without it, her statement would have faded out of memory within hours, but now it will stick solid. Ivanka Trump will be known as the "Feckless Cunt" for the rest of her life.

"For every man there is something in the vocabulary that would stick to him like a second skin. His enemies have only to find it." - Ambrose Bierce

Works for women too.
New Nice summary of the news cycle!
And incidentally, Trump was heard to say that Sally Yates, the former acting attorney general, was a cunt. However, he did not say feckless. Too many letters in that word.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New actually pretty tacky words to use
New Don't even pretend
--

Drew
New nothing to pretend over the last 15 years or so I have brought that issue up
Nice person by the name of Caine explained it to me slow, dont use it.

last time I brought it up was last august
http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/419959/
Expand Edited by boxley June 2, 2018, 05:24:11 PM EDT
Expand Edited by boxley June 2, 2018, 05:39:58 PM EDT
New That writer of that title seems to presume . . .
. . her vagina is disgusting and fair game for being insulted. Regardless of original meaning, the word is now used only insultingly.
New Also too, many/most? 'Muricans *don't know* a 'polite' word for the female genitalia
(We may also remember, a few years back when a school kid was disciplined (apparently not actually maimed) for saying the 'vagina'-word.)
THAT's how it is already (just now in the pre- book-burning pyres) as will appear when the "brown-shirts" acquire authentic Brown Uniforms to go with their salutes.

Perhaps the brothers-Koch will purchase the first-threads for their laboratory-bred monsters, but later-on they'll just have to emulate their predecessors
(Drumpf early-on specifically prescribed "Punch 'em in the face!!!"). A direct Order from the C-in-C? Nothing less.
New Actually, the original meaning was "sword sheath."
bcnu,
Mikem

Why is no one congratulating Samantha Bee for her excellent use of words? - (mmoffitt) - (18)
         I cunt help but wonder - (rcareaga) - (3)
             Speaking of tactics, I want to thank Rosanne - (drook) - (1)
                 simian slurs - (rcareaga)
             I agree with the (currently) top comment. - (mmoffitt)
         For all the people saying she was offensive, are any of them saying she was wrong? -NT - (drook)
         what all of the talking heads and others like ya'all is that rosanne wasn't fired for watch she said - (boxley) - (4)
             ABC was reportedly looking for a reason to cancel Rosanne's show. - (static) - (1)
                 ..a timely quip re Oz - (Ashton)
             You know what would have been interesting? - (drook) - (1)
                 Moi likes. But that would have required guts amongst the Producer-class. -NT - (Ashton)
         All this storm over Samantha Bee is really good. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Nice summary of the news cycle! - (a6l6e6x)
         actually pretty tacky words to use - (boxley) - (5)
             Don't even pretend -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 nothing to pretend over the last 15 years or so I have brought that issue up - (boxley)
             That writer of that title seems to presume . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Also too, many/most? 'Muricans *don't know* a 'polite' word for the female genitalia - (Ashton)
                 Actually, the original meaning was "sword sheath." -NT - (mmoffitt)

Clearly you have a security problem - and it's got nothing to do with computers.
75 ms