IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I cunt help but wonder
It was an own goal, though, and bolsters the fatuous both-siderism that the media are prone to. Over at “No More Mister Nice Blog,” sitemeister Steve M. has this to say:
And yet it was clear that this was coming, because within hours of the cancellation of Roseanne Barr’s show, the right was looking for a non-conservative scalp. Attention was first focused on Bill Maher, who once joked that Trump seemed to have descended from an orangutan. The attack on Maher didn't work—comparing white people to non-human primates is clearly not historically linked to bigotry. But it was obvious that the right wanted blood, and would use all of its narrative-shaping resources to demonize the first left-leaning comic who walked into the ambush.

[snip]

It was predictable that Bee would be the target if she used this word in this way at this time, and it might have made sense fore her to weigh the value of keeping her show on the air for the foreseeable future against the possibility—no, the likelihood—that this one naughty-word joke could sink her entire career. Was that one joke worth the risk? And wasn’t the risk foreseeable?

I'm not saying, “Liberals, censor yourselves.” I'm saying, “Liberals, don’t give the bastards an opening.”
The rest of the piece (not particularly long) is worth a look. Tactics, people!

cordially,
New Speaking of tactics, I want to thank Rosanne
One of the harder lines of bullshit to refute is when someone defends racism by saying, "Islam isn't a race." Because it's not.

The reality, of course, is that most of the people wanting to ban Muslims are perfectly happy to catch Sikhs in the same net ... and pretty much all those swarthy folks.

But by putting "Muslim" and "ape" in the same insult, Rosanne has exposed the correct frame: Bill Maher gets a pass on the orangutan jokes because that's an insult that's thrown at people of color in general. He's not saying it about Trump because of his race but on his own personal "merits".

In the same way, no one "accuses" white people of being Muslims. White Democrats "hate America" because ... well, just because, apparently. But black Democrats are "secret Muslims".

So yes, I know Islam isn't a race. But I also know that people who think it's an insult use it interchangeably with racial slurs.
--

Drew
New simian slurs
From ten years ago, Exhibit A.

cordially,
New I agree with the (currently) top comment.
johanobesus • 18 hours ago

I don't know, they don't need an opening. They are fighting a war to exterminate their enemies. They have no shame, no compassion, no scruples, no mercy. They have mostly won, so at this point I don't think descending to their level is going to do any extra damage. Just maybe, if we are as offensive and aggressive as them, it will become impossible for the media gate keepers to use it against us. There used to be pearl clutching over Limbaugh and his ilk, but they embraced it and kept pushing, and now they can get away with almost anything (almost).

Exactly. What was the opening for "3 million illegal immigrants voted in 2016" or "Obama was born in Kenya" or "largest inaugural attendance period." and on and on?

They don't "play fair" so what does it matter? And, again, her description of Ivanka was spot on.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     Why is no one congratulating Samantha Bee for her excellent use of words? - (mmoffitt) - (18)
         I cunt help but wonder - (rcareaga) - (3)
             Speaking of tactics, I want to thank Rosanne - (drook) - (1)
                 simian slurs - (rcareaga)
             I agree with the (currently) top comment. - (mmoffitt)
         For all the people saying she was offensive, are any of them saying she was wrong? -NT - (drook)
         what all of the talking heads and others like ya'all is that rosanne wasn't fired for watch she said - (boxley) - (4)
             ABC was reportedly looking for a reason to cancel Rosanne's show. - (static) - (1)
                 ..a timely quip re Oz - (Ashton)
             You know what would have been interesting? - (drook) - (1)
                 Moi likes. But that would have required guts amongst the Producer-class. -NT - (Ashton)
         All this storm over Samantha Bee is really good. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Nice summary of the news cycle! - (a6l6e6x)
         actually pretty tacky words to use - (boxley) - (5)
             Don't even pretend -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 nothing to pretend over the last 15 years or so I have brought that issue up - (boxley)
             That writer of that title seems to presume . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Also too, many/most? 'Muricans *don't know* a 'polite' word for the female genitalia - (Ashton)
                 Actually, the original meaning was "sword sheath." -NT - (mmoffitt)