IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As it so happens, I ended up getting a MacBook dropped in my lap last evening
The owner had taken it to the nearest Apple Store (about an hour one way) where they were told "So sorry. Snow Leopard is no longer supported and these will not run El Capitan. So..." [They're trying to keep a farm afloat. 2 x $1500 to replace hardware that is still perfectly suitable to their needs is not in the cards.]

Turns it was allergic to IP6 packets and their ISP had turned on IP6 on the inside without warning. The fix was to simply turn IP6 off in OSX but no chance in hell they were ever going to figure that out on their own. Apple also never backported any comprehensive fix to the network stack.

And Safari has gone lame. It doesn't crash but simply goes nowhere. That one remained a headscratcher. (Updating was a no go as Apple follows MS on this and locks Safari to the OS version?)

All said, the hardware is revision 6,1, which according to Apple will run El Cap. They may toss some extra RAM at it and give El Cap a shot.
New EveryMac has lots of good info.
MacBook 6,1

(Note the MPB 6,1 is different, of course)

The Core2Duo Mac laptops are very nice machines. J had a black one that was just a little too old to keep current. I had maxed out the RAM to 6 GB and installed a SSD, so it was plenty speedy. We finally got a 13" MBP a year or two ago to replace it. It doesn't really run any faster, and the screen is about the same, but it's "fully 64-bit" and can be updated, etc., etc.

Good luck, and good of you to help out!

Cheers,
Scott.
     I'm too old for this shit - (drook) - (48)
         I know that song. - (static)
         Yeap. - (malraux) - (26)
             Me too. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                 Meh - (scoenye) - (24)
                     Too much configuration, not enough apps - (malraux) - (23)
                         That's about the size of it. - (pwhysall) - (20)
                             That's about what I figured - (scoenye) - (19)
                                 Eh, no. - (pwhysall) - (18)
                                     It's great for trying options - (drook) - (9)
                                         Speaking specifically to the photo angle - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                             My photo needs are lighter - (drook) - (7)
                                                 I feel ya - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                     I assume PS has something for that? - (drook) - (5)
                                                         It looks like Nikon says you should fix it in the camera first. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                             You definitely start there - (drook)
                                                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 Interesting. - (Another Scott)
                                                         Re: I assume PS has something for that? - (pwhysall)
                                     So, it is not ready for *your* desktop - (scoenye) - (7)
                                         LibreOffice 5.1 is very good, also too. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                             It is - (scoenye) - (5)
                                                 I haven't used it in a while - (hnick) - (4)
                                                     I have used Draw for various things, but not that. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                         Looks like it might be useful. - (hnick) - (1)
                                                             Sounds good. Remember - LibreOffice runs on Winders and MacOS too. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Never used the office suites for that - (scoenye)
                         True - (Steve Lowe)
                         That about sums it up. - (static)
         I have one for experimention. Hane not booted it in a month -NT - (boxley)
         Proprietary video drivers? - (scoenye) - (10)
             Dunno yet, going to spend some more time on it tonight -NT - (drook) - (9)
                 Depending on the symptoms... - (scoenye) - (8)
                     "whining detractors" ;-) - (malraux) - (6)
                         At least I can get it to work again - (scoenye) - (5)
                             I don't use Windows. What's your point? -NT - (malraux) - (4)
                                 That they all have warts -NT - (scoenye) - (3)
                                     From a desktop perspective, Linux has more than OSX in my experience -NT - (malraux) - (2)
                                         As it so happens, I ended up getting a MacBook dropped in my lap last evening - (scoenye) - (1)
                                             EveryMac has lots of good info. - (Another Scott)
                     Already tried nuking the profiles, no luck -NT - (drook)
         I had a similar issue updating a machine a while ago. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Win 7 to Win 10. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Yeah, yeah. We'll see. ;-) (Thanks.) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Got it running again. Lenovo Thinkpad T61. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Battery life? What's that? - (drook)
         Success - (drook) - (1)
             :-) Woot! -NT - (Another Scott)
         You, me, and Danny Glover. -NT - (CRConrad)

This just in, kid: the mere fact that it's written down and believed in by millions of simpletons does not make something true.
79 ms