IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I had a similar issue updating a machine a while ago.
I haven't tried to troubleshoot it. I'll probably just do a fresh install of Mint or Ubuntu or something, if I ever want to play with Linux on the metal again.

Lately I'm thinking that VMs are the way to go. The hardware's generally fast enough, and VirtualBox is generally good enough, that it seems like a workable solution.

I had my step mom set up on an iMac with a Win7 VM so she could run Quicken/win to do her church's books. It seemed to work well enough for the year or two that she did that (she's handed the job off to someone else now).

I'm still dreading the "upgrade" from Win7 to Win10... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Win 7 to Win 10.
It'll be fine, and it definitely is an upgrade. Your computer will go faster!
New Yeah, yeah. We'll see. ;-) (Thanks.)
New Got it running again. Lenovo Thinkpad T61.
It was running Mint 13 and X wouldn't start. I couldn't figure out enough about the error to fix it (the driver was Nvidia version 3xy.mumble but the kernel was for version 3za.mamble and the mismatch made it puke. I don't know how the mismatch happened.).

I burned a DVD for Ubuntu 16.04 but the system wouldn't boot from it for some reason (either from the internal DVD drive or from a USB DVD drive). Maybe there was something weird about the way the MacbookPro burned it or something...

I found the Mint 13 DVD and it booted perfectly and I did a fresh reinstall. Updated everything and started reinstalling various apps. I haven't installed the nVidia driver yet...

It's still a nice laptop (1650x1200 screen), but it's heavy and probably can't last more than a couple of hours not being plugged in.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Battery life? What's that?
I don't think mine was ever good for more than an hour-and-a-half when new. Now it's probably good for a half-hour.

And replacement batteries are half the cost of a new laptop.
--

Drew
     I'm too old for this shit - (drook) - (48)
         I know that song. - (static)
         Yeap. - (malraux) - (26)
             Me too. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                 Meh - (scoenye) - (24)
                     Too much configuration, not enough apps - (malraux) - (23)
                         That's about the size of it. - (pwhysall) - (20)
                             That's about what I figured - (scoenye) - (19)
                                 Eh, no. - (pwhysall) - (18)
                                     It's great for trying options - (drook) - (9)
                                         Speaking specifically to the photo angle - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                             My photo needs are lighter - (drook) - (7)
                                                 I feel ya - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                     I assume PS has something for that? - (drook) - (5)
                                                         It looks like Nikon says you should fix it in the camera first. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                             You definitely start there - (drook)
                                                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 Interesting. - (Another Scott)
                                                         Re: I assume PS has something for that? - (pwhysall)
                                     So, it is not ready for *your* desktop - (scoenye) - (7)
                                         LibreOffice 5.1 is very good, also too. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                             It is - (scoenye) - (5)
                                                 I haven't used it in a while - (hnick) - (4)
                                                     I have used Draw for various things, but not that. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                         Looks like it might be useful. - (hnick) - (1)
                                                             Sounds good. Remember - LibreOffice runs on Winders and MacOS too. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Never used the office suites for that - (scoenye)
                         True - (Steve Lowe)
                         That about sums it up. - (static)
         I have one for experimention. Hane not booted it in a month -NT - (boxley)
         Proprietary video drivers? - (scoenye) - (10)
             Dunno yet, going to spend some more time on it tonight -NT - (drook) - (9)
                 Depending on the symptoms... - (scoenye) - (8)
                     "whining detractors" ;-) - (malraux) - (6)
                         At least I can get it to work again - (scoenye) - (5)
                             I don't use Windows. What's your point? -NT - (malraux) - (4)
                                 That they all have warts -NT - (scoenye) - (3)
                                     From a desktop perspective, Linux has more than OSX in my experience -NT - (malraux) - (2)
                                         As it so happens, I ended up getting a MacBook dropped in my lap last evening - (scoenye) - (1)
                                             EveryMac has lots of good info. - (Another Scott)
                     Already tried nuking the profiles, no luck -NT - (drook)
         I had a similar issue updating a machine a while ago. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Win 7 to Win 10. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Yeah, yeah. We'll see. ;-) (Thanks.) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Got it running again. Lenovo Thinkpad T61. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Battery life? What's that? - (drook)
         Success - (drook) - (1)
             :-) Woot! -NT - (Another Scott)
         You, me, and Danny Glover. -NT - (CRConrad)

"I couldn't have done it without him, sir."

"Cheek."
97 ms