IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So, it is not ready for *your* desktop
That is perfectly fine. I have never said here or elsewhere that anyone should be using Linux come hell or high water.

It is the blanket not ready for *the* desktop I tend to take umbrage with as it completely discount the massive effort that has been put in to come up with what is now a quite functional alternative to most common tasks.

(And I do have an iPod 3G kicking around somewhere...)
New LibreOffice 5.1 is very good, also too.
Download.

It's much less painful for me to use than PP07, for example.

But it's still not a perfect match for all weird MSOffice files...

Cheers,
Scott.
New It is
Despite any preferential disputes about the menu organization, there are areas where it is much better than MS Office for regular work, especially on text documents. Style management and application is much more consistent and a lot easier to use. None of the make 'em up as we go along styles like Word.

If you need formulas, OO/LO are ahead by miles.

And, it is actually quite good at recovering MSO originated files that Word/Excel started puking on for whatever reason.

Base is no equivalent to Acccess, but then I've been doing my level best for the last 10 years to kill those databases off, so, no loss there >:-)
New I haven't used it in a while
Do they have a reasonable substitute for visio? I'm really only interested in flow charting and UML. I seem to remember they had a draw option that did ok. I don't recall if it had UML options. I'm doing database stuff now so I could use toys for that as well. Visio can do what I need. My home visio is an old msdn version (same as work version) and I don't know if it will survive the change to windows {whatever's in vogue when 7 collapses). I don't want to pay for another windows version of the same thing I already have to be independent of my work machine.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New I have used Draw for various things, but not that.
Does this help?

You love LibreOffice and OpenOffice, but you still use Visio to make drawings. Why? Because none of the shapes you need are easily available. Until now.

Custom OO Shapes is a repository of custom shapes you can use with LibreOffice and OpenOffice Draw. The following shapes are available:

[...]

UML Shapes Class, instance, package, component, assembly, collaboration, artifact, node, deployment, swim lanes (four variations), actor, accept event, action, activity final, decision, flow final, stop, initial node, parameter set, object node, condition, send signal, receive signal, frame, paths 24-Jan-2010 download (13.7 kb)

HTH!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Looks like it might be useful.
I'll check it out when I get a decent linux box going at home. At work I have to use their setup and no other. Thanks!
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Sounds good. Remember - LibreOffice runs on Winders and MacOS too.
New Never used the office suites for that
I've always used Diagram. It had working attachment points way back when. It still meets my needs so I have not looked for alternatives.
     I'm too old for this shit - (drook) - (48)
         I know that song. - (static)
         Yeap. - (malraux) - (26)
             Me too. - (pwhysall) - (25)
                 Meh - (scoenye) - (24)
                     Too much configuration, not enough apps - (malraux) - (23)
                         That's about the size of it. - (pwhysall) - (20)
                             That's about what I figured - (scoenye) - (19)
                                 Eh, no. - (pwhysall) - (18)
                                     It's great for trying options - (drook) - (9)
                                         Speaking specifically to the photo angle - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                             My photo needs are lighter - (drook) - (7)
                                                 I feel ya - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                     I assume PS has something for that? - (drook) - (5)
                                                         It looks like Nikon says you should fix it in the camera first. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                             You definitely start there - (drook)
                                                             Nope - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 Interesting. - (Another Scott)
                                                         Re: I assume PS has something for that? - (pwhysall)
                                     So, it is not ready for *your* desktop - (scoenye) - (7)
                                         LibreOffice 5.1 is very good, also too. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                             It is - (scoenye) - (5)
                                                 I haven't used it in a while - (hnick) - (4)
                                                     I have used Draw for various things, but not that. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                         Looks like it might be useful. - (hnick) - (1)
                                                             Sounds good. Remember - LibreOffice runs on Winders and MacOS too. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Never used the office suites for that - (scoenye)
                         True - (Steve Lowe)
                         That about sums it up. - (static)
         I have one for experimention. Hane not booted it in a month -NT - (boxley)
         Proprietary video drivers? - (scoenye) - (10)
             Dunno yet, going to spend some more time on it tonight -NT - (drook) - (9)
                 Depending on the symptoms... - (scoenye) - (8)
                     "whining detractors" ;-) - (malraux) - (6)
                         At least I can get it to work again - (scoenye) - (5)
                             I don't use Windows. What's your point? -NT - (malraux) - (4)
                                 That they all have warts -NT - (scoenye) - (3)
                                     From a desktop perspective, Linux has more than OSX in my experience -NT - (malraux) - (2)
                                         As it so happens, I ended up getting a MacBook dropped in my lap last evening - (scoenye) - (1)
                                             EveryMac has lots of good info. - (Another Scott)
                     Already tried nuking the profiles, no luck -NT - (drook)
         I had a similar issue updating a machine a while ago. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Win 7 to Win 10. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Yeah, yeah. We'll see. ;-) (Thanks.) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Got it running again. Lenovo Thinkpad T61. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Battery life? What's that? - (drook)
         Success - (drook) - (1)
             :-) Woot! -NT - (Another Scott)
         You, me, and Danny Glover. -NT - (CRConrad)

Sorry, no can do.
75 ms