IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Agreed that, it's a bit early and something of a teapot in a (Pontiac) Tempest
..to rue, anew the utter disdain for Our fi-fis--and any logical expression of customer reasoning--in a corporation now clearly with bit-in-teeth, heading for Trillionaire status. Might as well try for an existential discussion with any old zealot. Anyway.. Now that I have a bitchin 24"-diag. of screen and the barely-OK 8 GBs with which to clutter same, I shall try to wade through the {doubtless randomly rearranged combos), as the last refuge of a scoundrel er, innovator, see if I can remedy various annoyances:

1) A screen bright enough to kindle a fire, with decent magnifier focus ... even at [0] (there are no [-]s on that axis

2) The default Fashion-industry soft pastels/the enemies of a necessary Contrast
..seeming everywhere (with colours bleeding-into Text boxes! a dead-giveaway that the design honchos were on some Owsley-2015 substances. I know nada about "Style Sheets" nor--at best--how such a thing might deflect this race to Cutesiness into a casual lope towards: needing fewer keystrokes + guesses ..just to Get Stuff Done. Surely The System will fight-off any serious efforts to ameliorate.
But, ignoring Why Contrast matters // Grey-over-WHITE! TEXT!! ... What Can one say to that?

3) Meanwhile.. Console reveals that: Yosemite is/remains *unhappy with the utterly-essential iStat:
8/17/15 1:43:59.782 PM DashboardClient[661]: (com.iSlayer.iStatpro4.widget) file:///Users/gort/Library/Widgets/iStat%20Pro.wdgt/Wide.js: TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'data.outputString.split') (line: 615)
..this amidst the deluge of nightly subterranean chatter ‘twixt Apple’s minions at the iTunes Pavilion (a place I never had to deal with, in all recorded history.)
Its own log snippets evoke the quips of their fabricating minions via such as ... Good Night, Gracie, Love. It. Did note though, that the glacial delays to use or make bookmarks, seem to have auto-cured self via—presumably—some patches slipped in (? but never Called That, natch). Unless one believes in software-with-a-healing-immune-system.

Well, I had a good run on Snow Leopard and have read that I’m not the only one who recalls that One-year Reprieve from insanely-great betas: wherein they refined, compacted the guts AND the upgrade to Snow-Leopard could not have been more painless even with methyl-benzoyl-ecgonine hydrochloride, in a drip-feed.

Now with a certified-Spare machine, I trust I can next go back to that 1/09 well-earned Sleep after those yeares of The ƒeare that, perhaps Today? shall be the day the Registry eats-self and spews smiley-faces across the rotating-storage in its death throes. As this pair shall not be networked, seems pretty unlikely that both next could perish simultaneously. Right?

(‘Course, pour moi, a switch to Windows 12 or 16 may be my only feasible next leap, if Apple keeps aiming for the 3% rather than 10% who can afford their boutiques for boutique-pricing. Oh. Well. Lose a planet? Lose an O.S. What’s the diff.

ED: second try to add a note here:
* unhappy, but Launched anyway! earning a +3 Attagirl! to the Apple coder-boffin who left some slack in that Boolean straitjacket.

(Not that any of these gripes can hold a candle! to the massive-other Impendings now inflicting upon our dilettante species.)
Maybe bitchin about Apple's solipsism deflects from noticing our own?
Collapse Edited by Ashton Aug. 18, 2015, 09:17:40 PM EDT
Agreed that, it's a bit early and something of a teapot in a (Pontiac) Tempest
..to rue, anew the utter disdain for Our fi-fis--and any logical expression of customer reasoning--in a corporation now clearly with bit-in-teeth, heading for Trillionaire status. Might as well try for an existential discussion with any old zealot. Anyway.. Now that I have a bitchin 24"-diag. of screen and the barely-OK 8 GBs with which to clutter same, I shall try to wade through the {doubtless randomly rearranged combos), as the last refuge of a scoundrel er, innovator, see if I can remedy various annoyances:

1) A screen bright enough to kindle a fire, with decent magnifier focus ... even at [0] (there are no [-]s on that axis

2) The default Fashion-industry soft pastels/the enemies of a necessary Contrast
..seeming everywhere (with colours bleeding-into Text boxes! a dead-giveaway that the design honchos were on some Owsley-2015 substances. I know nada about "Style Sheets" nor--at best--how such a thing might deflect this race to Cutesiness into a casual lope towards: needing fewer keystrokes + guesses ..just to Get Stuff Done. Surely The System will fight-off any serious efforts to ameliorate.
But, ignoring Why Contrast matters // Grey-over-WHITE! TEXT!! ... What Can one say to that?

3) Meanwhile.. Console reveals that: Yosemite is/remains unhappy with the utterly-essential iStat:
8/17/15 1:43:59.782 PM DashboardClient[661]: (com.iSlayer.iStatpro4.widget) file:///Users/gort/Library/Widgets/iStat%20Pro.wdgt/Wide.js: TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'data.outputString.split') (line: 615)
..this amidst the deluge of nightly subterranean chatter ‘twixt Apple’s minions at the iTunes Pavilion (a place I never had to deal with, in all recorded history.)
Its own log snippets evoke the quips of their fabricating minions via such as ... Good Night, Gracie, Love. It. Did note though, that the glacial delays to use or make bookmarks, seem to have auto-cured self via—presumably—some patches slipped in (? but never Called That, natch). Unless one believes in software-with-a-healing-immune-system.

Well, I had a good run on Snow Leopard and have read that I’m not the only one who recalls that One-year Reprieve from insanely-great betas: wherein they refined, compacted the guts AND the upgrade to Snow-Leopard could not have been more painless even with methyl-benzoyl-ecgonine hydrochloride, in a drip-feed.

Now with a certified-Spare machine, I trust I can next go back to that 1/09 well-earned Sleep after those yeares of The ƒeare that, perhaps Today? shall be the day the Registry eats-self and spews smiley-faces across the rotating-storage in its death throes. As this pair shall not be networked, seems pretty unlikely that both next could perish simultaneously. Right?

(‘Course, pour moi, a switch to Windows 12 or 16 may be my only feasible next leap, if Apple keeps aiming for the 3% rather than 10% who can afford their boutiques for boutique-pricing. Oh. Well. Lose a planet? Lose an O.S. What’s the diff.

(Not that any of these gripes can hold a candle! to the massive-other Impendings now inflicting upon our dilettante species.)
Maybe bitchin about Apple's solipsism deflects from noticing our own?
New re iStat Pro - you can still get it.
He's not wanting to keep updating it as Apple seems to be wanting to do away with Dashboard Widgets. But you can apparently still get it - maybe a fresh install with a later version will work better?

See this thread.

HTH!

On the rest, yeah, too often "progress" isn't. :-( I figured that as we got more pixels on our screens, we'd be able to get higher information density and greater clarity. The fashion and OS designers seem to have intentionally gone the other way - less information on the screen, more blank space, less contrast. Things aren't quite as bad as the very early days of Wired magazine and HotWired, but they're bad all the same.

WIRED magazine, with its ever-changing typography and fluorescent text, had been defiantly unreadable. Its designers wore that charge like a badge of honor.

Oooh. Edgy.

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks, al punte.
Since iStat-Pro seems healthy (chatter notwithstanding) I don't see how this mini-version appeals. Yet.. 'Seems' in that it displays sane data, verifiable via Sys. Info. Of course, with all the yammering, preps of new betas for developers etc. one day next it might just not pop-Up. I expect its author will find a way 'round Apple arbitrariness, (lest there be mobs/torches in Cupertino.) Will watch for a new release.

Next to decipher: where the sensors for the two Northbridge inputs are attached, assume it's Si tech of standard sort: and keep those/too below 130ish °F, just because. Thermodynamics ..the nag that bites many an ass.

Ah well, trying to decipher most Console messages is a fool's errand (as Greg tried to convince moi, early on ) but I've still looked at enough to discern routine -vs- strangeness. RIP Greg; nobody ever knoze what suffering occurs in others' jelloware, as was also timely recalled yesterday. :-/

Wired.. Mosaic.. PineMail! ... out-geeking the Unix-Pros at IU/Bloomington: to get Cyrillic into e-mails for my friend and her classmates. Starting from scratch, I was amazed at how easy was the hack, solved by just Man unix and w.t.f. 'Home' meant. Amazing shit so far, from PDP-8s on through Northbridge-y things. (And I didn't much like programming as any avocation, either!) Maybe its just ego gratification that attaches to Boolean exercises: 'Solved!' gets brownie points/endorphins.

We're such robots.. no wonder the demagogues can pander to vanity in the vastly-inept ... (just by repeatedly telling them how smart they are?)

Sell short!
New Wired!
In one of his books some years back a writer (probably Neal Stephenson) tossed off an allusion to a tech/culture magazine so aggressive in its design that its subscribers were obliged to don welders' masks to read it.

blinded with science,
New Don't fall in the root hole...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/18/apple_local_root_os_x_yosemite/
A vulnerability has been found in Apple's operating system that allows ordinary software on the computer to gain all-powerful root privileges, ...

Unchecked null pointer dereference in the kernel. Oopsie!
New Whoops.
     Mac OS X Yosemite (re Ashton) - (rcareaga) - (14)
         Yosemite has some defaults that annoy J. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Apple design has some ... holes. - (static) - (5)
                 I would have thought that NextStep (or NEXTSTEP or whatever) had it. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     It's a complicated problem. - (static) - (3)
                         Indeed. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Oh I know the upgrade problem. - (static) - (1)
                                 Yup. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
             Windows 10 is the *tits* - (pwhysall)
         Agreed that, it's a bit early and something of a teapot in a (Pontiac) Tempest - (Ashton) - (5)
             re iStat Pro - you can still get it. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Thanks, al punte. - (Ashton)
                 Wired! - (rcareaga)
             Don't fall in the root hole... - (scoenye) - (1)
                 Whoops. -NT - (Another Scott)

On bassline: Martina Nav... Navri... gosh, I wish she'd get married.
112 ms