IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dividing up into teams on "The Bell Curve" is easy.
I've not read it myself. My dad is a voracious reader and has a copy of it with about 7 dozen bookmarks sticking out of it... :-(

There are some excellent takedowns of it out there - e.g. this one mentioned in a comment by jl in a Balloon-Juice thread a few days ago:

Sad. From what I have seen, most people who are impressed with the Bell,Curve are innumerate (that would include Sullivan), or are not familiar with the econometric statistical methods. The Bell Curve is a conceptual, methodological and statistical mess.

But, don’t take my word for it. Link below is a review of the book by Charles Manski and the late Arthur Goldberger. Good to read even if you don’t know much statistics, since they do a good job of laying out the conceptual messes of the book. I hate to impugn motives, but their (edit: Bell Curve’s) literature review (and resulting assumptions they used for their statistics) was quite skimpy, selective and biased, suspiciously so

We know that the way kids are brought up in their first few years can make a huge difference in their performance in schools, on standardized tests, etc. I think we've all seen that. Genetics plays a role, sure, but my gut tells me other things play a much larger role. A recent review article seems to confirm that (based upon the abstract, anyway).

Coates' Twitterstorm responses to Sullivan was on 12/23. He has some good links there, too.

tldr; Don't think that Murray has a sensible argument. People who have done actual good science don't see a strong genetic component to "intelligence" or "IQ".

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Not defending Murray
But is haplogroup L3 without significance? Can we simply dismiss the deplorable condition vis-a-vis most of the rest of the world of the pre-L3 population? I don't find the implied conclusion agreeable, but I think it merits investigation.

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga Dec. 29, 2014, 03:58:13 PM EST
New I'm certainly not climbing aboard the "Bell Curve" bandwagon
...merely suggesting that the premise, however disagreeable to our enlightened liberal sensibilities, ought not be excluded from dispassionate evaluation. I admit that daily exposure to my city's black criminal lumpenproletariat may perhaps predispose me to, ah. broadmindedness on this point.

cordially,
New My poking around scholar.google.com hasn't turned up anything.
E.g. looking for "L3 mtDNA intelligence" or "L3 mtDNA culture" and the like didn't turn up anything. Mitocondrial DNA seems too far removed from things like intelligence for there to be any sensible scientific literature on it.

Now it may be that 70,000 years ago L3 Eve had some magical characteristics and was extremely fruitful and had daughters that were passed around as prizes outside of Africa. It's hard for me to believe that her magical characteristics were in her L3 mtDNA though...

Happy hunting. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New that L3Eve was one good looking monkey
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
     Haplogroup L3 - (rcareaga) - (21)
         maybe I am reading it wrong - (boxley) - (4)
             does that explain... - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 before or after the bombing into stoneage circa 1945? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                     Re: before or after the bombing into stoneage circa 1945? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         north of the pyrenees is northern europe as opposed to med europe -NT - (boxley)
         Dividing up into teams on "The Bell Curve" is easy. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Not defending Murray - (rcareaga)
             I'm certainly not climbing aboard the "Bell Curve" bandwagon - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 My poking around scholar.google.com hasn't turned up anything. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     that L3Eve was one good looking monkey -NT - (boxley)
         Ok. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             way back when - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Touche'. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Carthago delanda est - (rcareaga) - (5)
                 Ok, but the general point stands, doesn't it? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     maybe another note that maybe I am missing - (boxley) - (2)
                         That too. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Re: maybe another note that maybe I am missing - (rcareaga)
                     Perhaps 'corroboration bias' manifests the most in this area (?) - (Ashton)
         It is certainly nearly all culture. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             I had the same thought that culture trumps genes. - (a6l6e6x)

An "Outside Context Problem" if ever there was one.
260 ms