IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One for Box: Atlantic causes global warming "haitus".
http://phys.org/news/2014-08-global-hiatus-deep-atlantic-ocean.html

Tung and co-author Xianyao Chen of the Ocean University of China, who was a UW visiting professor last year, used recent observations of deep-sea temperatures from Argo floats that sample the water down to 6,500 feet (2,000 meters) depth. The data show an increase in heat sinking around 1999, when the rapid warming of the 20th century stopped.

"There are recurrent cycles that are salinity-driven that can store heat deep in the Atlantic and Southern oceans," Tung said. "After 30 years of rapid warming in the warm phase, now it's time for the cool phase."

Rapid warming in the last three decades of the 20th century, they found, was roughly half due to global warming and half to the natural Atlantic Ocean cycle that kept more heat near the surface. When observations show the ocean cycle flipped, around the year 2000, the current began to draw heat deeper into the ocean, working to counteract human-driven warming.

The cycle starts when saltier, denser water at the surface northern part of the Atlantic, near Iceland, causes the water to sink. This changes the speed of the huge current in the Atlantic Ocean that circulates heat throughout the planet.

[...]

Changes in Atlantic Ocean circulation historically meant roughly 30 warmer years followed by 30 cooler years. Now that it is happening on top of global warming, however, the trend looks more like a staircase.

Cycles inside of cycles with a giant CO2+methane forcing on top...

Cheers,
Scott.
New at least they are now acknowledging that there is more than
agw in play. 5 years ago someone would have said deep ocean temps are like shoving a thermometer up a dog's ass to take your own temperature :-)with the peanut gallery shouting here, here
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New You do realize this *supports* AGW rather than refutes it, right?
--

Drew
New You do realize this a complex climate where AGW is not the sole driver right?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Careful of terminology
AGW - anthropogenic global warming - describes an observed phenomenon. The causes of AGW, the various human-generated forcings, exist on top of lots of various natural forcing (and positive and negative feedback) mechanisms. The models try to include all of the significant forcings - human and natural.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/modelforce/

Modeling the oceans' contributions is in a relative infancy. This paper is a step in improving the models and understanding, but isn't the final word.

HTH. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Okay, more carefully ...
There are three questions:

1. Is the global average temperature increasing?

- if so -

2. Is human activity contributing to that increase?

- if so -

3. Does the human contribution threaten to overcome existing negative feedback loops, causing a tip into runaway warming?

Because global average temperature has seemed to level off recently, some people have claimed that the first answer in that series is now "No". This work shows that it's still "Yes".
--

Drew
New 1. no 2.it is slowing the cooling 3. unknown still warmer in the 1930's
New The 1930s were hotter *in the US*
That's not global.

Oh, sorry... 'Murica!
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New got a link to go with that?
New Actually I was wrong.
Regards,
-scott
New is that from the real temps or the normalized ones?
New Re: is that from the real temps or the normalized ones?
Regards,
-scott
New thanks,
New Re: 1. no 2.it is slowing the cooling 3. unknown still warmer in the 1930's
New nice, explained here
New Incorrect, the answer to all 3 questions is "yes"
Now if you can prove otherwise using non-wingnut data and methods, do so, and win yourself a Nobel.
New http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/274586/
New Peter is open minded, film at 11. ;-)
Regards,
-scott
New Lots of us have modified our thinking on AGW over the years.
I was much too skeptical of the science and too trusting of the critics for too long. I changed, too, once I understood the science better.

Why haven't you?

Back then, your position seemed to be:

1) We're adding too little CO2 for it to matter.
2) Sure, AGW is real, but: the models are crap, and scientists are corrupt, and warming in the Arctic is good anyway, and AlGoreisFatandWantsAllMyMoney, so I will fight tooth and nail to prevent an effective government response.
3) Volcanoes!!111

Is that still a good summary of your views? :-) If not, tell me please.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New of course I have modified my postion as well
greenhouse gas forcing by humans is a bad thing
transferring the wealth of the west to the third world will not stop AGW
taxing the west into poverty will not stop AGW
the scientists are just starting to recognize that AGW alone will not predict a reliable climate model, they realize they don't know enough.
The advice I gave a few years ago about stockpiling water in california is here 6 years ahead of time for example.
volcanoes may be a good solution
New it was 5 years ago I pointed out that the deep ocean
was affecting the climate and everyone here scoffed at that idea. Infancy no, acceptance yes, grudgingly
New Let's see the linky, please.
I did some searching, but I'm not sure what thread you're talking about.

Doing a google search for "site:forum.iwethey.org boxley ocean climate" didn't turn up anything obvious.

I did find #281271 though, from 2007 (with some slightly different terms).

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New cant find the dogs ass comment that was in the thread
that is like shoving a thermometer up a dogs ass to take your temperature was one of the responses to my post
New Me neither. Somewhere else? Otherwise, find a different example please. :-)
     One for Box: Atlantic causes global warming "haitus". - (Another Scott) - (23)
         at least they are now acknowledging that there is more than - (boxley) - (22)
             You do realize this *supports* AGW rather than refutes it, right? -NT - (drook) - (21)
                 You do realize this a complex climate where AGW is not the sole driver right? -NT - (boxley) - (20)
                     Careful of terminology - (Another Scott) - (19)
                         Okay, more carefully ... - (drook) - (14)
                             1. no 2.it is slowing the cooling 3. unknown still warmer in the 1930's -NT - (boxley) - (13)
                                 The 1930s were hotter *in the US* - (malraux) - (5)
                                     got a link to go with that? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                         Actually I was wrong. - (malraux) - (3)
                                             is that from the real temps or the normalized ones? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 Re: is that from the real temps or the normalized ones? - (malraux) - (1)
                                                     thanks, -NT - (boxley)
                                 Re: 1. no 2.it is slowing the cooling 3. unknown still warmer in the 1930's - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     nice, explained here - (boxley) - (5)
                                         Incorrect, the answer to all 3 questions is "yes" - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                             http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/274586/ -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 Peter is open minded, film at 11. ;-) -NT - (malraux)
                                                 Lots of us have modified our thinking on AGW over the years. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     of course I have modified my postion as well - (boxley)
                         it was 5 years ago I pointed out that the deep ocean - (boxley) - (3)
                             Let's see the linky, please. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 cant find the dogs ass comment that was in the thread - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Me neither. Somewhere else? Otherwise, find a different example please. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)

I invited her up to my place for a little midnight bait. I said, "Come on, baby. It'll only take a few minnows." She threw me that same old line: "Not tonight, I've got a haddock."
133 ms