IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Small and medium businesses
Two friends of mine and myself have tried to capture the service market for the small and medium businesses. The problem is that the small businesses cannot afford even the cheapest fee, and even if they do they stiff us after the job is done. An example is that we set up a system and software for a local convience store that also wanted to get into paging. The system required a modem, and a serial connection to a cash register for a POS system. We installed the system, and trained the employees how to use it, we also set up the software to send pages and sync the POS system up with the PC. They partially paid, and then the owner didn't return phone calls or letters about the amount they owed. Recycle and repeat for more customers and you have a business failure. One business we had went from 1995 to 1998, barely making it because of small businesses not paying their bills.

Medium businesses are harder to get into, you have to meet with managers and explain why your business is better than the other ones. Then you hope that you've impressed them enough to get the contract for the job. We couldn't do that and usually some larger company got the contract.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New Don't know where you were, but . . .
. . I've not had much of a problem - our clients know they'll need our services again.

Lawyers and doctors are exceptions. You need to be a law firm yourself to deal safely with lawyers. Doctors pay, they just won't ever call you back because you're "too expensive", and a "one night stand" job is usually not worth the bother. Both professions think anyone but a doctor or a lawyer should be getting minimum wage. We are reluctant to do business with either of these professions.

Certain types of business attract deadbeats. Photography, for instance, but not always. Our fastest paying client ever is a (very prosperous) photography studio.

Essentials

#1 - Always do a written proposal defining exactly what you are going to do and what the client's responsibilities are, right down to "client to supply 2 power outlets on the backboard" sort of stuff.

#2 - Right from the first quote, put in a "terms" paragraph. It's 50% to start, and work begins when that is received. If the client won't do this, they probably don't have the money, so there's no sense in doing the work. Don't be afraid to specify progress billing, especially if the hardware / software part exceeds that 50% up front.

#3 - Ask other business people about collection services. They vary greatly in effectiveness, and a good one can be invaluable. Get one that'll do a warning letter free or for a low fee - If that doesn't do it, expect to lose 30% or more of the due, but 70% is a lot better than nothing. Start collection proceedings early - the fee will be lower and the likelihood of collecting much higher. Collection agencies recommend putting a clause in the quote and on the invoice that collection costs are additional to the invoice amount. We've never done this because we very rarely have to send something to collection.

#4 - Seek clients where there will be plenty of follow-on work. Getting new clients is difficult and expensive. Follow-on work for existing clients is far more profitable.

#5 - Specialize if you can. That way you can train others to do the work. This allows the business to grow. Being a generalist, I've had a lot of trouble with that, so I'm drifting more into specialized work.

#6 - Make sure you are fully qualified to do the work, efficiently and effectively. If you aren't, bring in someone who is, or just hand the job off to someone who is. Everyone will be happier that way, including you.

#7 - Remember that you are a business person first - a techie second - a distant second. If you can't handle that distinction, then you need to get a job.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I'm in Missouri
they do things differently here, a lot of small businesses are deadbeats and the medium businesses will always go with whomever can score them sports tickets to sold out games.

#1 They do not want to be held to responsibilities in writing, a lot of them went with us only if we promised not to put a contract in writing. The simplier it is the better they will hire you.

#2 They will refuse to hire us if we don't do the work first and get paid later. There are few exceptions to this, but basically they agree to pay us, and then didn't return the phone calls. I wanted to do everything COD, or at least half down, but some people wanted zero down, or maybe 10% or 20% down. Otherwise no work.

#3 Most collection services around here want a large cut of the bill to collect. It is cheaper to write the warning letter ourselves, anyway and threaten legal action. But they ignore it awany and the legal fees to sue them will cost more than the bill anyway.

#4 Follow-on work. Usually we do so good a job that they don't need follow-on work unless they installed new software that hoarked everything up or they powered down a dozen times without first shutting down the OS.

#5 We were specialized. Did POS systems and Mitchell Series One systems for garages. Hardly anyone else was doing it in 1995, but by 1997 other companies got into what we were doing. We moved into web page design, Linux networks, and other stuff but it was just not profitable enough to stay in business. I invested $7000USD of my own money and didn't draw a salary just to keep the business afloat.

#6 I am one of the best Windows technicians in the area, and my partner is one of the best Linux administrators in this area. We had qualifications out the yingyang. We did the job better than most people could.

#7 We did try to be business people first, but the hard part is making people pay what they owe. Around here there are a lot of deadbeats.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
     The party's over for PC makers - (lincoln) - (20)
         Not much money in hardware - (orion) - (19)
             PCs aren't coming back - but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
                 What do you suggest for a company - (orion) - (17)
                     You are wrong about services - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                         With the right connections - (JayMehaffey)
                         Small and medium businesses - (orion) - (2)
                             Don't know where you were, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 I'm in Missouri - (orion)
                     Manufacturing proprietary stuff is the only way to make... - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
                         I don't believe that - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             Re: I don't believe that - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                 As a market matures . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Applies in manufacturing as well - (ben_tilly)
                             So your advice to the young would be . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Da tovarisch, kewlovitch____ but - (Ashton)
                         Yes, many of the businesses with the greatest need . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             Big companies can be just as bad - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                                 . . and in government too. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     Heh.. I beat IBM - (Ashton)
                     #1 Know your customer. - (Another Scott)

Go into the light!
47 ms