IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I see no good options from here
While I dislike Putin, and fear that like many another autocrat he enjoys bathing in the tepid waters of epistemic closure, it seems unrealistic to imagine that he was ever going to permit Ukraine (odd, I was brought up to think of it as "The Ukraine") to drift intact into the western orbit. If Subcommandante Marcos and Zombie Hugo Chavez led a popular revolt in Sonora and Chihuahua to throw out the corrupt state governments and reconstitute these along the lines of social and economic justice with a dash of Marxist thought, we'd be restoring order there faster'n you could say "General Pershing."

Russia is going to help itself to as much of Ukraine as it feels like. The more conservative its portions, the less likely it will feel dyspepsia (I read a wonderful line years ago in an account of the origins of the Cold War, to the effect that postwar western statesmen took Stalin's appalling table manners to betoken an insatiable appetite, whereas they were actually early signals of poor digestion). If Putin's smart and not too delusional, he'll content himself with the Crimea, which is certainly the strategic and economic bonbon of the region—much good may it do him.

NATO, and to a lesser extent the EU, advanced eastward far too eagerly (the EU's expansion and integration might each have taken some benefit from a more measured pace, nicht?). Half a decade ago there was talk of admitting Georgia to NATO. Georgia? As well resurrect the Warsaw Pact and admit the Dominican Republic (82nd Airborne and US Marines landing in three...two...one).

Putin's Russia may be an appalling entity, but Obama's USA has yet to recover much of the moral standing this country might barely have been able to claim. I flinched, truly I did, when the otherwise admirable John Kerry said "You just don’t invade another country on phony pretext in order to assert your interests." Holy projection, Commissioner Gordon! Indeed, as long as we're romping gaily through the precincts and provinces of Wogistan taking out a homegrown Islamist here, a wedding party there, that moral standing is going to remain on a pretty high shelf way above our reach.

cordially,
New Yes, that Kerry line seemed scripted for a rebirth of
Laugh-in 2 (presupposing--as al punte as the first, and with far less censorship by Suits.)
I so miss General Bull Moose and all the regulars, even if several have proven to be mortal, since. The young Goldie Hahn was simply stellar boffo.

Surely that was a full-gaffe by any definition, and betrays defective self-editing in one now arrogated the powers of that office.
I do hope he's not losing it.. there are so few left, capable of playing with a full-deck and I want to think he is still one of those.
     Referendum in Crimea vote moved to 3/16. - (mmoffitt) - (45)
         Yeah, and what could possibly go wrong? - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             And visits to ensure everyone exercises his voting rights. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Russian yes, Tatar no. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 Re: Most Ukranians can read Russian well enough - (mmoffitt)
                 Tartars have standing to the extent that their protected - (boxley)
         EU no likey. Warns of sanctions. - (Another Scott) - (22)
             EU likes to stay warm in winter -NT - (boxley) - (21)
                 Spring is coming. - (Another Scott) - (20)
                     That's good. - (mmoffitt)
                     nah, he's keeping it - (crazy)
                     clear, levelheaded understanding of the issues - (boxley) - (17)
                         Thanks, but meh. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                             what you have there is Kurds and Arabs for an anology - (boxley) - (11)
                                 It's the Russians who are refusing to talk at the moment. -NT - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                     hardly, an agreement was reached and signed - (boxley) - (9)
                                         Meh. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                             see you a Meh and raise you a feh :-) - (boxley) - (7)
                                                 Yup. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                     the other people in the other square, likewise - (boxley) - (5)
                                                         Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                             well it is a legitimately elected government there - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                 According to the agreement, Russian troops were limited. - (Another Scott)
                                                                 Re:Nit Russia did not invade - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                                     you have to take last centuries turmoil into consideration - (boxley)
                         Oversimplification. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                             te Zaporozhye Cossacks prefer? hint they used to sack poland -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Bull. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     sorry my historical references are impeccable :-) - (boxley)
         I see no good options from here - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Yes, that Kerry line seemed scripted for a rebirth of - (Ashton)
         Yes, or Yes? - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Do I espy some new Repo election rules.. from the House? -NT - (Ashton)
             Ha! A good old fashioned Soviet ballot! -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Digital Globe photos of Russian forces massing. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             Nice! - (folkert) - (7)
                 :) - (Steve Lowe) - (6)
                     10-15 cm resolution on a good day? - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         Re: 10-15 cm resolution on a good day? - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                             Interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Can hardly wait for the infant-implants.. Next-gen, - (Ashton)
                             #1358 - (Another Scott)
                         Untraceable hearsay of course, but the quip re Hubble optics - (Ashton)
             About time some of our Spook-techno gets used - (Ashton)
             Re: Digital Globe photos of Russian forces massing. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                 :-) You folks are doing a great job. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)

C:>_
103 ms