IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New in reference to astrology and your comments about blather
Just pointed out that astrologers, soothesayers and so on preform the same functions as a physcologist with about the same success ratio.
thanks,
Bill
TAM ARIS QUAM ARMIPOTENS
New That's closer to my view of it..
Personally, I have no interest in 'horoscopes' nor any daily involvement with the discipline? / art? / science? / scam (so often - today).

But as to its being snake oil: then it has lots of company - like Pop psych (often taught as a University course). The dogma of the various 'Schools' of psych are correlative to religions: Reichians have their version, as do Maslow- ... et al. None is science, though efforts are made to employ statistics - these efforts often fall short, and always 'prove' little.

Other company: allopathic medicine, promoted (at least in the US) as the 'Christianity' of body care ie. The One True Method. Won't wast time listing alternatives (nor attempting to suggest when/where an alternative might produce better results). Then too, as with all Professions - wherein people profess To Know: clearly it is caveat emptor from the get-go, whichever method one opts to try. 'Faith' appears to be the largest ingredient in medicine or choices of a psychologist - it sure as hell ain't Science, and you can forget appending exact for all obvious reasons. MDs I have dealt with (re research involving radiation of tumors, etc) have been uniformly weak in science, and characteristically uncurious about their rote assumptions. Add arrogance (esp. in a young pup) and stir.

Anyway (I repeat) - I'd never 'recommend' that someone visit an Astrologer, though if that particular one were still alive - I might, if asked for some recommendation regarding psych. Ditto an MD, though I have in the past met a few who maintained open minds, tested their own treatment policies and did Not treat the PDR - as a medical Bible, and pharm-chem as the panacea.

It's a crap shoot out there. I suppose I mistrust Certainty.. more than most other nameable homo-sap afflictions. It's so like the Pope's Infallibility [in "faith and morals" - a rubric that can be spread as far as a rubber yardstick]. Near-Certainty on say, the physics of motion - I'll go with. Re homo-sap: nada, nil, Zippo. We don't know Shit about even our bodies, let alone mind and especially emotion. And about the interactions of these three concepts -?- Hah!

Perhaps my sample of One 'Good Astrologer' (actually two, but unimportant) is an aberration - and his was (merely) a quite superior intuition. Yet he did his calculations before suggesting anything, and was notably addicted to eschewing normal daily homo-say lying. So no - I am not Certain about Bennett, either. But if his use of Astrology as a model was essential to the accuracy of his work: let there be More Astrologers like him!

Ashton
Founding Member and CIEIO, The Certainty Police
     Survey finds few in U.S. understand science - (drewk) - (25)
         There are lies, damned lies... - (inthane-chan)
         Horoscopes - (kmself) - (4)
             Read the right horoscopes. - (Brandioch)
             I've sometims had great fun... - (Meerkat) - (2)
                 Class experiment - (kmself) - (1)
                     Heh.. toy 'astrology' that - - (Ashton)
         'Astrology' chestnut____ again ?! - (Ashton) - (14)
             Mental crutches - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Perspicuity, then. - (Ashton)
             As long as the idiocy exists... it'll remain idiotic. - (CRConrad) - (11)
                 That reminds me of something amusing - (ben_tilly)
                 Your faith is in 'quantifiable' knowledge, apparently - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Astrology is bollocks. - (pwhysall)
                 Astrology=psychology, tools are different - (boxley) - (7)
                     We have a saying in Sweden: "Goddag, yxskaft". - (CRConrad) - (6)
                         in reference to astrology and your comments about blather - (boxley) - (1)
                             That's closer to my view of it.. - (Ashton)
                         Heh, that's cool! - (Meerkat) - (3)
                             The lobsters are coming! -NT - (pwhysall)
                             Ah - replied in Other Plaice. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Just so long as your ship doesn't flounder -NT - (Ashton)
         Demon Haunted World - (orion) - (3)
             And perhaps not. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Hmm... Does the name "GT 40" mean anything to you? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Umm.. Yes - but t'wasn't for The Masses - (Ashton)

IFKK
50 ms