IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Regarding your footnote....
>>> ...acres of poor fucking cattle knee-deep....

Don't forget our friends at Smithfield Foods :

https://docs.google....slFrNAnugxPePDxug

Rolling Stone article "Boss Hog"
New So totally depressing
--

Drew
New The last paragraph - "Romania".
Romania has been in the news the last few days - it's apparently the source of the horse meat that has "contaminated" ground beef all over Europe...

Depressing story. :-(

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Er, sort of, yes, no.
Yes, the horsemeat came from Romania, but the Romanian slaughterhouse in question (edit: apparently) did nothing wrong.

It was meat processors further along in the chain who (deliberately or otherwise) mis-labelled viande de cheval as boeuf.

Most notably, the marvellously named Spanghero.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Feb. 28, 2013, 07:36:31 AM EST
New I have only heard the stuff in the background.
What I recall reading is that DNA tests have found horse at levels "above 1%" in many samples tested.

The coverage seems to present it as if "horse" == "arsenic melamine plutonium dioxin" or something.

Horse isn't going to kill anyone.

What I find most disturbing isn't that meat has been mislabeled. (Fish has been mislabeled over here for ages and the problem is getting worse.) Yes, that's a problem and it is a little disconcerting and needs to be fixed. (Companies generally aren't shipping stuff hundreds of miles because it's better - they do it because it's cheaper. The answer to why it's cheaper is important.)

What I find most disturbing is: 1) why were they testing for horse DNA in the first place? 2) if horse can make it in to ground beef, what else is in there that they haven't tested for? 3) can the TV news ever report on this stuff and inform viewers without sensationalizing it?

FWIW.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New the horse meat had hyarg levels of drugs
in it, the horse meat for sale labelled horse meat had none, thats what the main problem is.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New Thanks.
New Hadn't heard that
Stupid question: Why, then, don't they test for the drugs, and why isn't that the story?
--

Drew
New Re: Hadn't heard that
Because the hoss meat in question should have been marked "not for human eatin's", and been turned into pet food.

The French eat horse all the time and you can bet your bottom dollar that that meat is tested out le wazoo, as they say in Paris.
New "le wazoo". Love it.
New The drug-testing is the story here.
Just Add Story http://justaddstory.wordpress.com/
     Customers are disappearing - (Ashton) - (13)
         He pulled his punches. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Maybe.. but, you can't use words like sh*t when wearing - (Ashton)
         Regarding your footnote.... - (dmcarls) - (10)
             So totally depressing -NT - (drook)
             The last paragraph - "Romania". - (Another Scott) - (8)
                 Er, sort of, yes, no. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                     I have only heard the stuff in the background. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                         the horse meat had hyarg levels of drugs - (boxley) - (5)
                             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Hadn't heard that - (drook) - (3)
                                 Re: Hadn't heard that - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     "le wazoo". Love it. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 The drug-testing is the story here. -NT - (static)

use LRPDism;
125 ms