IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: re Driftglass's "Jobs" post

>>> " Government policies that encourage demand..."

While I generally agree with your comments, Scott, how is the government supposed to encourage demand ? Do you see Congress doing anything constructive in this regard? What form would such encouragement take?

Just curious, not trying to be a pain.
New you dont understand
Government's job is to spend money as fast and as nonsensically as they can while borrowing it at zero interest. If that doesn't fix the economy its the republicans fault.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New You do realize that governments create money, no?
New yes, Zimbabwe and Weimar come to mind
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 57 years. meep
New dupe
Government's job is to spend money as fast and as nonsensically as they can while borrowing it at zero interest. If that doesn't fix the economy its the republicans fault.
Expand Edited by boxley Nov. 23, 2012, 07:45:35 AM EST
New What do you think it would cost ...
... to fix every pothole and rehab every bridge in the interstate highway system?
--

Drew
New triple tarp but a much better investment
New Things like those done after earlier recessions.
We should have done more of the things that were traditionally done during and after recessions:

1) Extending unemployment benefits until the unemployment rate was close to normal.
2) At least maintaining (and not cutting) food stamp benefits.
3) Increased (not cutting) aid to states and cities so that they didn't have to lay off huge numbers of teachers and other public employees.
4) Substantial increases in infrastructure spending while interest rates are low.
5) Substantial increases in financial aid for education and training to keep people off the street and lay a foundation for smarter growth in the future.

Etc.

Basically, you increase demand by giving money to people who will spend it. Yes, the banks needed to be rescued, but that was not sufficient. As Atrios says almost every day - http://www.eschatonb...-happen-when.html

Too many famous economists decided to forget standard economics and buy into the stories from the no-nothings on the right who screamed about inflation. It was a willful destruction of the knowledge painfully gained after the Great Depression and the various crises after.

We know how to get out of this mess. The instructions are in the classic introductory economics textbooks. Our politics is too broken at the moment to apply them. (Though we haven't forgotten quite as many lessons as the Europeans...)

Things are different when the economy blows up after a bubble. Austerity makes things worse. You have to spend, and spend a lot, to get out of it. When the recovery is well underway, then you slowly reduce the stimulus. And yes it does work and yes it doesn't lead to Zimbabwe!!!11 - see the USA after ~ 1940 - 1972.

Will Congress do anything? Hard to say. There are too many Teabaggers still in power, but some things will probably be done on the margins. As long as Europe doesn't collapse and as long as China doesn't fall into a recession (which I don't see how they avoid forever), we'll probably be firing on all cylinders by 2015 or so. But it shouldn't have taken 8+ years to crawl out of the hole the Republicans created...

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
     re Driftglass's "Jobs" post - (Another Scott) - (21)
         Re: re Driftglass's "Jobs" post - (dmcarls) - (7)
             you dont understand - (boxley) - (2)
                 You do realize that governments create money, no? -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     yes, Zimbabwe and Weimar come to mind -NT - (boxley)
             dupe - (boxley)
             What do you think it would cost ... - (drook) - (1)
                 triple tarp but a much better investment -NT - (boxley)
             Things like those done after earlier recessions. - (Another Scott)
         It's getting worse, rather than better. - (hnick) - (1)
             Thanks for helping out. - (Another Scott)
         Re: re Driftglass's "Jobs" post - (lincoln) - (10)
             True. Good point. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Hourly wages - (S1mon_Jester) - (8)
                 Re: Hourly wages - (lincoln) - (7)
                     why not? That is how the coprs turn the screws - (boxley) - (6)
                         THIS - (jake123) - (5)
                             I doubt very much that your coworkers - (lincoln) - (4)
                                 Yeah, see - (jake123) - (1)
                                     The only salaries we knew at work were the Canadians - (malraux)
                                 I have seen those, wont sign them - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Yeah, I've done the same - (jake123)

It would be good if people could help with the swift opening of bags that are wiggling and/or noisy.
355 ms