IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No-brainer for sure - but exactly the other way around.
Look what do you usually insure?

Yeah, stuff[*]. YOUR OWN stuff -- that's *yours* to insure.

You don't have an insurance policy on your neighbour's car, do you?

Or would you feel all right with me taking out a policy on, say, your house?

No, that's just fucking weird -- your neighbour's car isn't yours to insure, and your house isn't mine to insure.

So even apart from the fucking OBVIOUS conflict of interest in profiting from someone's death[**], this is indeed a fucking no-brainer: The employer doesn't OWN his employees LIVES, so they aren't his to insure.

And that whole concept of "insurable interest" is suspect, too: Seems like just a slimy way of sneaking in-effect "ownership" of someone else's life into the picture, without admitting that exactly that is what it really is. There's insurance for everything, in the world of business too (malpractice-suit insurance, anyone?), so why don't they just take out a regular "unforeseen business problem" policy? Then, *if* a death of an employee really does affect their bottom line, they get to try to prove that when they claim it on that policy.

Due diligence on the part of insurance companies would then work in the opposite way of what Brandi describes: "Well, if you have the guys washing skyscraper windows without a safety line, how 'unforeseen' was it really that one of them would fall?", or "Since Dennis was the only guy in the company who knew how that object-oriented library he'd spent the last seven years building really works, even the slightest -- and required -- amount of foresight would have told you you'd be up the creek without a paddle if you didn't do something about his notoriously lax documentation, now that he stepped in front of that bus".

[*]: Which is why the whole concept of "life insurance" is a bit weird in the first place -- but let's not get into that, here and now.

[**]: And how the HELL could you NOT see that, even before Drew's and Brandioch's explanations??? What the fuck are you, a freaking Capitalism-Über-Alles brain-washed Randroid, replying from reflex in stead of reason?!?
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Sounds like 'Dennis' is someone you know
===
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
New Naah, just the canonical example of IT management stupidity.
Though it could of course be that I picked a name not too unlike Linus because it's also the canonical example of what might happen to him in various Linux horror scenarios. ("He doesn't even use CVS!", and so on.)

But I really can't say I know him; only met him the once, briefly, when he signed my copy of _Just for fun_.
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
New Re: but exactly the other way around - Nein, Nyet, No

F****** law is agin ya fer F**** sake.

When did morality (which is typically someone's f****** opinion) ever overule the law. This is the f****** USA fer F**** sake.
S*** man!.

In F****** USA law everywhere but Texas say "F****** policy is allowed"

That is a no F****** brainer

Cheers

Doug Marker (grin)
New So much for "a nation of laws"
Even where common sense screams at the implications and the cupidity which lies behind the lobbying for that 'law'. Now then - who but a Corp. favors such a law?

{sigh}

So you're right. But the secret policies are wrong. Next.. will the infotainment publicity have effect, as reelection nears? Squeaky wheel - where will this travesty rank with - so very many Others ??

(Imagine.. 'Texas' is marching in a platoon, and the Sgt. says, Ok you loosers, *everyone's* outta step but Private Texas !!)

Ashton
     Walmart profits over employee's death - (SpiceWare) - (19)
         Posting full story for archival purposes - (lincoln) - (1)
             Anyone needing further proof about Corporate sociopathy? - (Ashton)
         Surely this is a no-brainer !!! - (dmarker2) - (12)
             Except for this one quote - (drewk) - (6)
                 Re: Except for this one quote - (dmarker) - (2)
                     ? - (drewk) - (1)
                         Logins - (dmarker2)
                 Would you prefer your wife stand to profit from your death? - (marlowe) - (2)
                     Yes I would - (lincoln)
                     Reminds me of the "birthday dirge". :) - (Brandioch)
             No-brainer for sure - but exactly the other way around. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                 Sounds like 'Dennis' is someone you know -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                     Naah, just the canonical example of IT management stupidity. - (CRConrad)
                 Re: but exactly the other way around - Nein, Nyet, No - (dmarker2) - (1)
                     So much for "a nation of laws" - (Ashton)
         Google's "Advance Search" -> "News" doesn't find this story - (lincoln)
         Congressman asks the IRS to investigate this "tax dodge" - (lincoln) - (1)
             Unintended association: with 'e coli'. Smooth move(ment)... - (Ashton)
         from the WSJ, Friday, 4/19/2002 - (lincoln)