IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hmm...
http://articles.phil...ral-poverty-level

Houses and retirement benefits would be exempt from being counted as assets. If a person owns a car, that vehicle also would also be exempt, but any additional vehicle worth more than $4,650 would be considered a countable asset.

Anne Bale, a spokeswoman for DPW, said the asset test was a way to ensure that "people with resources are not taking advantage of the food-stamp program," funded by federal money.

In addition, Bale said, the test was related to DPW Secretary Gary Alexander's initiative to reduce waste, fraud, and abuse across all department programs.

Bale said DPW estimated that 2 percent of the 1.8 million Pennsylvanians receiving food stamps would be affected by the asset test.

The DPW plan caught many by surprise, but has been widely condemned by Philadelphia city officials, business leaders statewide, and advocates for the poor.

They point to federal statistics showing that Pennsylvania has one of the lowest food-stamp fraud rates in the nation: one-tenth of 1 percent.

In fact, the state recently won a federal award for running its program efficiently, federal officials say.

Moreover, about 30 percent of people who are eligible for food stamps in Pennsylvania and throughout the nation don't access them, making the entitlement program under-subscribed.

Critics of the DPW plan say it would particularly punish elderly people saving for their burials, poor people trying to save enough money to get out of poverty, and working- and middle-class people who lost their jobs in the recession and may now have to liquidate assets to feed their families.

You still think it's about saving "taxpayer money"?

Cheers,
Scott.
New never EVER claimed it was about saving taxpayer money
it was fuckem, they got $2k buy yer own groceries.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Even if that $2k is in a 2nd car they need. Hmm...
New nice word placement there bucky
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 55 years. meep
New Please don't feed the troll
He's just glorying in being a callous, nihilistic shit with the possibility it will annoy others. Please don't feed the troll.
New Post more often then! I need someone to argue with here :-)
New Nope
1 car is a requirement for most families (job, school, etc). 2nd is a luxury.

I spent a long time living in the burbs with a wife and 2 kids and 1 car.

I did NOT enjoy it, but we got by, and cars do not have economy of scale. 2nd car costs just as much if not more. But a single car makes you work out your life a bit more in advance, which also means gas savings.

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to:
"Even if that $2k is in a 2nd car they need. Hmm... "
Expand Edited by crazy Jan. 13, 2012, 09:46:30 AM EST
     Republican "compassion" at its finest - (lincoln) - (36)
         you got 2k cash and want me to buy your food? - (boxley) - (21)
             "... or other assets..." -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 This just means... - (folkert)
             let's see how well you survive - (lincoln) - (18)
                 I have not been unemployed for a while - (boxley) - (17)
                     Yeah, why let people get benefits their taxes paid for. -NT - (Another Scott) - (16)
                         Re: Yeah, why let people get benefits *MY* taxes paid for. - (folkert) - (15)
                             Yeah, only land owners should be able to vote, also too. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Was that an assumption that those getting any - (crazy) - (13)
                                 foodstamps for a family of 4 who has a single earner - (boxley) - (12)
                                     Is a car an "asset" in this case? - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                         My first thought was houses, not cars - (S1mon_Jester)
                                         is a car a liquid asset? Not really -NT - (boxley) - (9)
                                             lincoln's quote excerpt doesn't say "liquid". - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                                 from your link - (boxley) - (7)
                                                     Hmm... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                         never EVER claimed it was about saving taxpayer money - (boxley) - (5)
                                                             Even if that $2k is in a 2nd car they need. Hmm... -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                 nice word placement there bucky -NT - (boxley)
                                                                 Please don't feed the troll - (hnick) - (1)
                                                                     Post more often then! I need someone to argue with here :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                 Nope - (crazy)
         Latest example of the policy... - (Another Scott) - (13)
             Whats wrong with the policy? - (boxley) - (5)
                 It makes no sense. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     if you think owning a house car and 3k in the bank - (boxley) - (3)
                         Read the story again. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             again you claim house car and 3k is poverty, hardly -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                 ... -NT - (Another Scott)
             Charlie's take. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 yup love me that obamacare - (boxley) - (2)
                     Re: yup love me that obamacare - (lincoln) - (1)
                         own, not rent from a bank. -NT - (boxley)
             Re: Latest example of the policy... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Cold war propeganda. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 We aren't opposed. We're just stupid. - (mmoffitt)

Are you scared yet?
111 ms