IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks for the baby steps.
I'm still feeling my way along in the dark in much of this stuff, unfortunately...

1) No "Touchpad" app is in System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications.

I'd read about gsynaptics-init on doing a Google search earlier. Its sourceforge page - http://gsynaptics.sourceforge.jp/ - says use GPointing-Device-Settings (which is the thing I was trying to think of in the earlier post.

http://live.gnome.or...ingDeviceSettings

I couldn't figure out how to install it from the .tar.gz, so I used apt-get to install it. It shows the config dialog, but doesn't enable clicking or double-clicking on the pad area. Should I try gsynaptics-init instead?

2) Network Manager is installed in S->P->SA. My e/n/interfaces is:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
# wireless-* options are implemented by the wireless-tools package
wireless-mode managed
wireless-essid myessid
wireless-key1 mykey

The last 4 lines are indented by a tab stop. I've seen this in other text config files too. It's incorrect, isn't it? Could that be causing problems?

Another stupid newbie question:

What do I need to use to be able to edit and overwrite config files that are owned by root? I see a "root terminal" app under the GUI menu, but I'd like to be able to easily do it from a GUI file manager and GUI editor. I understand that I don't have permission to change root files, but I know there are ways to have the system prompt for root passwords - I just can't seem to ever remember the hocus-pocus to make that happen.

The kernel I have been booting is the latest that gets installed (though in one case I had to use the previous from the boot menu):

vmlinuz-2.6.30-1-686 (I can't find the linux-image... filename at the moment.)

3) Video:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000] (rev 02)

Xorg: There are about 2 dozen drivers listed for various chipsets and VESA, etc. The ATI-specific line is:

ii xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.12.2-3 X.Org X server -- ATI display driver wrapper

(The Radeon line has the same version number.)

Iceweasel: Debian-3.0.12-1

I can't seem to find flashplugin-nonfree. The Shockwave Flash version is 10.0.r32

Perhaps it's the ATI driver that's causing the Flash/100% CPU problems?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Thanks for the baby steps.
The last 4 lines are indented by a tab stop. I've seen this in other text config files too. It's incorrect, isn't it? Could that be causing problems?
No, that will not cause problems. They're probably indented (as mine are on my Linux server) to make each different interface stand out by being "undented."

What do I need to use to be able to edit and overwrite config files that are owned by root? I see a "root terminal" app under the GUI menu, but I'd like to be able to easily do it from a GUI file manager and GUI editor. I understand that I don't have permission to change root files, but I know there are ways to have the system prompt for root passwords - I just can't seem to ever remember the hocus-pocus to make that happen.
Instead of using the command vi /etc/network/interfaces, you want to sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces (or whatever root-owned file you're interested in.) You'll then be prompted for a password; this is your password, not root's. You really shouldn't even know what root's password is. Everything you need to do to root-owned files, you can do through sudo.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Thanks Mike!
New The only real reason...
not to have those in the network interfaces is... auto-managed rather than specified.

Mike does things that way as he'll never change.

The reason you have the "root terminal" desktop short cut is that you are running SID.

Sid assumes a lot.

I just ignore it.
     Safe to upgrade from Debian 5 (lenny) to Testing (squeeze)? - (Another Scott) - (22)
         I'd say Testing is the least best alternative. - (pwhysall) - (13)
             Ah. Good points. Sink or swim. It's tempting... - (Another Scott) - (12)
                 I have to agree with Peter. - (folkert) - (11)
                     Thanks. Upgrade in progress. Fingers crossed. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (10)
                         Bleah... Finger crossed! Lets hope it worked. - (folkert) - (9)
                             Seems Ok. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                 apt-get is really good at fixing things. - (static)
                                 I wouldn't mix aptitude and apt-get - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     what he said - (beepster) - (5)
                                         Thanks, both of you. I was trying to be cautious... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                             Yes, 'tis a good bit of advice there. - (folkert) - (3)
                                                 Thanks, Greg. Always appreciated. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 That's a good point about aptitude. - (static) - (1)
                                                     synaptic is just a gui on top of apt-get... - (pwhysall)
         Generally working well, but some annoyances... - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Ok, some questions... - (folkert) - (6)
                 The first thing I do . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     A T41 *IS* a laptop - (folkert)
                 Thanks for the baby steps. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Re: Thanks for the baby steps. - (mvitale) - (2)
                         Thanks Mike! -NT - (Another Scott)
                         The only real reason... - (folkert)

Super-size it!
86 ms