bricks wholesale
bricks retail
options on bricks
bricks short sales
and if it wasnt for the above no one would bother to make bricks
thanx,
bill
New Question for you
If the only sector of the economy that's showing a profit is finance, but they're showing enough profit to make up for everything else, is that economy productive or not?
--

Drew
New no bricks for you :-)
you will have to define the boundries of the economy you speak of
take walmart who controls the supply chain from the farmer, to the packer to the frozen food display, they can earn a profit by sqeezing every dime out of the labor of the people in between because they own all of the other pieces. That is their strength, if a walmart store is profitable is it productive?

Your question doesnt have a binary answer because of the scale of what you are measuring isnt clearly defined

example during the dot com craze where financiers and stock investors oversubscribed the market 100-1000 times the actual value if any of the companies behind the stock, where those companies productive? Right until they shut the door they were. Were they valued correctly? No fucking way, just like google today.

The profit that one man gains in finance is the bet minus the cost against another player in the trade with an opposite bet. People bet up huge pots by borrowing against what they had already won and it wasnt until the first guy who couldnt back his call that everyone tried to cash in at once. It doesnt work that way in a card room where everyone bets using borrowed money and it doesnt work on wall street either.
thanx,
bill
New Answer for you
it depends on what they are deriving their profit from and which sector of the business you are talking about.

If its banking, and they are turning a profit..is that profit derived from loans to the businesses that are allowing them to expand? Allowing them to continue to pay workers through a down cycle? If yes, then the answer is "yes, this is a productive economy".

I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New That doesn't sound like the last several years
--

Drew
New Its certainly more complicated
and there is a lot of equating "wall street" to banks...which can't be done anymore in a straight fashion...but it certainly is a core function of the entities themselves...and getting clarity around rules (and certainly about what constitutes a "security" and its creation re: derivatives from CDOs etc) is part of what I was speaking of before that needs to be reworked by the Fed to clean things up.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
     Johnson and Kwak on Geithner's plan. - (Another Scott) - (28)
         Interesting, though. - (beepster) - (27)
             They only show a profit before writedowns. - (Another Scott)
             And? - (hnick) - (25)
                 The predictions of their demise - (beepster) - (24)
                     So what *is* the right solution? -NT - (drook) - (23)
                         If the Fed failed so miserably at a rescue... - (beepster) - (22)
                             So, one vote for the Japanese solution, then? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 yup - (boxley)
                             A: Change which rules? B: What about the current problem? - (drook) - (19)
                                 Re: A: Change which rules? B: What about the current problem - (beepster) - (18)
                                     Industry != business - (jake123) - (17)
                                         industry is making bricks, trade is - (boxley) - (5)
                                             Question for you - (drook) - (4)
                                                 no bricks for you :-) - (boxley)
                                                 Answer for you - (beepster) - (2)
                                                     That doesn't sound like the last several years -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                         Its certainly more complicated - (beepster)
                                         Ok...does the "business" add value? - (beepster) - (10)
                                             No. - (jake123) - (9)
                                                 Then we disagree - (beepster) - (8)
                                                     You're talking about banking - (jake123)
                                                     Let me try another angle - (drook) - (6)
                                                         most of them were NOT at the banks - (beepster) - (5)
                                                             Where did I say "bank"? -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                                                 When you got sarcastic - (beepster) - (3)
                                                                     Okay, two things - (drook) - (2)
                                                                         Lets just assume - (beepster) - (1)
                                                                             Re that '99 Triumph of Lobbying-via intentional obfuscation - (Ashton)