..but first, it will piss you off (Gloria Steinem).

FWIW, I believe there is considerable emotional truth in your brief summary. Alas and until such time as (say) "excessive personal greed for objects, power, social notoriety" - is seen to be evidence of severe emotional illness ie an unnatural perversion which operates only where there is little self-knowledge:

Not much is apt to change, including the consequences of a nation in which very many persons are ill - and behave accordingly. Thing is, this is a philosophical matter - about each individual's guess about 'what life might be for' yada yada. So we see that the problem, if it is a problem.. is simply untreatable by direct legislation.

Indirect legislation might.. begin to bring pressures to bear against the most egregious Corporate behavior. For ex. since we created the idea of a Corporation as an 'entity', so can we also expand the application of that fav word of the folk who want Nothing Changed (I've Got Mine, Jack): personal responsibility. Specifically and from recent events:

A CIEIO whose incompetence (or worse) causes the loss of allegedly protected retirement, medical funds of employees - can be made to reduce his personal assets to some bias level. We used to call that atonement (punishment can also be on the agenda - Three Strikes for Corporate recidivists: those who repeatedly skim benefits and kill organizations.) If it's good enough an idea to send the local 22 year old pot smoker to jail for 40 years, well then..

But none of the above can make a country 'well', as I'm sure you also understand. You can at least - do your part to raise your kids not to be slaves to Swooshes, not to fill bodies with junk food to get toys.. and not get carried away with the desire to own everything in sight. This is teachable, y'know? (by example, works best) Point out when they are being led! by their mindless peers - reward those acts which are not merely nonconformist but: thoughtfully so. This works.

Meanwhile - what we got is what we Really Believe In, as opposed to the fine words we tell the kids.. we 'believe in'. Can't hide that fact - from even a bright 6-9 year old. Best of luck raising a few antidotes.

Ashton