IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It is a very bad thing
It allows yet another propeganda point for Microsoft in their plans to seize control of the Internet and make it a private Microsoft.NET preserve. "Look, even the Linux community enthusiastically supports .NET, and you know how much they hate us. If there were a credible alternative they certainly wouldn't be supporting us!"

Java and Liberty Alliance are the credable alternative. Currently they are way ahead, to the point Rational Software, traditionally serving mostly the Microsoft development community, has just announced equal treatment for Java. Right now, .NET is totally vapor, and even PHBs are committed to it only in theory.

Microsoft is always late to a market, but is quite adept at overcoming its lateness with money and marketing. It was very late to the Internet, but in just a few years so dominates it many major Web sites are off limits to anyone not using Windows and a Microsoft Web browser.

Microsoft has every intention of driving all competing products from the Web services market. They have every intention of making it impossible to access much of anything on the Internet without going through Passport.NET. They fully intend to accomplish what they stated many years ago, to charge a "vig" on every electronic transaction made anywhere. The more people support .NET, the closer they are to this goal.

Miguel de Icaza, who failed to become a Microsoft employee only because of a fine print clause on his H1-B visa, has maintained a single minded admiration for Microsoft, and by his high profile in the Linux community, is materially aiding Microsoft in achieving its goals.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New My opinion of Miguel is continuing downwards
especially when I heard he views COM as a good basis for light weight components.

So far in my Python COM explorations, COM seems like a typical MS hack job.

Wanting to work for MS is also pretty revealing.

Tony
New Take heart
From the fact that the GNOME development community does NOT share Miguel's views.

Scary though the thought is, GNOME ain't gonna be based on .NET just because Migeul Says So.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New That is heartening.
Even though I do not use GNOME (or KDE), I respect the strides GTK-basedness has made. Miguel is coming close to the point where people will say "remove Miguel's code from GNOME, please: we don't trust him anymore".

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Miguel may just need to stir the pot occasionally.
I enjoyed [link|http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-02-05-011-20-NW-CY-GN-0020|Randy Savage's] commment on the issue at LinuxToday.

I'm looking forward to Gnome 4.0, when Mono is nowhere in sight, and even Bonobo still isn't in wide use, and Miguel is giving breathless interviews about the anti-gravity and time-travel support that will be in the new architecture with the cutesy, monkey-themed name that will be ready for Gnome 7.

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Is that stirring the pot, or whacking the nest?
The hornet's nest, that is?
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
     GNOME to be based on .NET? - (pwhysall) - (27)
         He does have the power to hose GNOME - (ben_tilly) - (16)
             Agreed - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                 You forget one thing - (pwhysall) - (14)
                     Incomplete ECMA - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Don't get me wrong - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             But they need hold only one . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Don't be so confident - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                         Well, here's a guy on Linux Today . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                             Sounds reasonable to me - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 What if he simply sees technical merit? - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                     The "techie trap" is always . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     I don't care - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         and I'll still rather skeptical of its technical merits -NT - (tonytib)
                         My thoughts. - (static) - (3)
                             Lose control? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Your list missed an important item - (ben_tilly)
                                 Yeah - I changed my mind. - (static)
         Explain yourself Miguel, demands RMS - (bluke)
         But that is not a bad thing, it is a good thing! - (nking) - (8)
             *sigh* - (ben_tilly)
             It is a very bad thing - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 My opinion of Miguel is continuing downwards - (tonytib)
                 Take heart - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     That is heartening. - (static) - (2)
                         Miguel may just need to stir the pot occasionally. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Is that stirring the pot, or whacking the nest? - (wharris2)
             GNOME on OS/2. - (Another Scott)

I should drag your fat arse over here and make you clean the coffee off my monitor.
107 ms