IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You forget one thing
.NET is actually an ECMA standard, which is what the Mono project is implementing.

This casts the "MS will use patents to crush Mono" idea in a different light.

BTW, I expanded my post a little and posted it to [link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|Kuro5hin], where it's currently on the front page. \\o/

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Incomplete ECMA
Microsoft has submitted the C# language to ECMA but not the APIs and other essential stuff, nor much else to do with .Net (which is still largely undefined, after all). Further, Microsoft will have no more compunctions about "Embracing and Extending" their own standard than they do with other peoples standards.

ECMA certification is simply a trap for the unwary.

Further, it is my understanding that Sun withdrew Java from ECMA for the simple reason they felt Microsoft owned enough votes in that body to have their way with Java. C#'s ECMA certification doesn't sound like something I'd base my business plan on.

[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Don't get me wrong
I think that the way de Icaza wants to go is not the right way. He's been a bit of a Microsoft fanboy ever since he got hired there onto the IE/Solaris team.

The right way forward is to identify what cool stuff you'd do with Mono, then put that functionality into Bonobo.

However, the ECMA status of C# and portions of the framework does mean that as long as the Mono project stays true to the ECMA spec, MS can't Crush Them With Patents.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New But they need hold only one . .
. . important piece away from ECMA to make an ECMA standard .NET implementation worthless. Further, that piece can be added later. This is a card game where Microsoft, and Microsoft alone, can add additional aces whenever they please.

Inability to access Microsoft .NET services and servers makes any alternative .NET implementation useless, because those interested in using .NET will have already bought into Microsoft's game. Anybody unwilling to accept Microsoft control will be using Java.

Microsoft will win any .NET game. It is reasonable to have .NET compatible development under way with the understanding it is likely sacrificial, but it makes no sense for it to be a key component of the Linux structure, and even less sense to be evangalizing it as Icaza is.
New Don't be so confident
First of all, all that Microsoft has to do is let Ximian build a few things in that are not in the standard, and they have the patent nightmare as I described.

All that they need to do to give open source a severe headache is wait for people to build on .NET, reveal their patents and then charge a reasonable and non-discriminary fee of 10 cents per user to each project using their patents. The question isn't whether they can collect $200,000 from some poor college kid whose project happened to be on some distribution that might be in use up to 2 million times. The question is whether by making a few people's lives hell, they can scare people from contributing to open source projects.

Now Miguel should know this. He has certainly been told it directly many times. Some of the people doing the telling have good reason to know.

So WTF is he doing being criminally irresponsible by continuing to walk with both eyes wide open directly into this trap?

Cheers,
Ben
New Well, here's a guy on Linux Today . . .
. . . who has a petty sensible theory. The writer maintains Mr Icaza is simply selling the Linux community down the river for business advantage, and makes a pretty good case for it.
Starts at [link|http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-02-01-015-26-NW-DV-0115|"He is no fool . . "]
New Sounds reasonable to me
My main question is whether he has received a downpayment, or whether his 30 silvers is still only a future promise.

If the latter, then I will add "stupid" to my private opinion of him.

Cheers,
Ben
New What if he simply sees technical merit?
After reading stuff about Mono in Dr. Dobbs, I have another version of Miguel's motivation. I am scared to death to say so, but looks like MS got things right in .NET platform this time around. Remember how Java started? Sun introduced VM and sandbox, with the emphasis on traveling code (applets). Turn out, nobody wants traveling code that badly. What people wanted was RPC, more or less. Then Sun tacked RMI on to it. And then Java Beans appeared. And Java Beans Enterprize Edition.. And so on.

Now, MS started right where Sun dropped the ball. Fine, they have sandbox and mobile code. But the whole model is built around interoperation. It is done first and foremost to allow for function calls between pieces written in different languages, running in different address spaces, on different machines, and even in different component architectres.

If I understand him right, Miguel saw this aspect of .NET - a better Java than Java - and he decided to use it for Gnome. It's not their class libraries for, say, database access. It's the VM that makes inter-language and inter-process and inter-computer communications simple. That can hardly be patented. And that's what Gnome will be based on.

New The "techie trap" is always . . .
. . to see the technical issues and not see the political and business issues, or regard them as irrelevent. That's why so many companies with superior technology fail, and why Microsoft is so powerful. To Microsoft, technology issues are simply supporting players to business and politics.

Using C# is one thing, with limited risk, but de Icaza said ".NET", and that's something else entirely.
New I don't care
He has been told, repeatedly, exactly what the trap is. Going for technical merits while ignoring the huge legal and business traps is like the mouse who says, "I know, I know, but doesn't that cheese smell good?"

It could be the best design in creation, but that doesn't change that for an open source company to support it on Linux is handing the headsman the axe after making sure it is good and sharp.

Cheers,
Ben
New and I'll still rather skeptical of its technical merits
New My thoughts.
One naive view might be that Miguel might be trying to create a .NET that Microsoft will lose control over. After reading this thread, I'm not sure.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Lose control?
Microsoft's specialty is seizing control of everything from everyone. With .NET they start out owning the plan, the specs, the code, the language, the key services, and the physical servers they run on. Somebody thinks they're going to lose control?

I realize that everyone who's ever written two equal signs end to end thinks he's smarter than Microsoft, but surely, even a programmer couldn't be that naive?
New Your list missed an important item
The subject of a large part of this thread in fact.

Microsoft has repeatedly admitted that they plan to patent the hell out of .NET. They haven't said why, but it seems pretty obvious that one goal is to maintain control of .NET, and another is to keep anyone from developing any service that competes with them on some key points.

Cheers,
Ben
New Yeah - I changed my mind.
I'm still a little mystified as to just what sort of API .NET is - no, don't bother explaining, I'm not that mystified! :-) - though I do realize Microsoft want to own the servers, services and everyone's data. I never saw the value in Mono; way back when it was announced, I first thought: "Miguel, you fool. You've now given Microsoft justification for their latest take-over-the-world scheme".

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

GNOME to be based on .NET? - (pwhysall) - (27)
         He does have the power to hose GNOME - (ben_tilly) - (16)
             Agreed - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                 You forget one thing - (pwhysall) - (14)
                     Incomplete ECMA - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Don't get me wrong - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             But they need hold only one . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Don't be so confident - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                         Well, here's a guy on Linux Today . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                             Sounds reasonable to me - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 What if he simply sees technical merit? - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                     The "techie trap" is always . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     I don't care - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         and I'll still rather skeptical of its technical merits -NT - (tonytib)
                         My thoughts. - (static) - (3)
                             Lose control? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Your list missed an important item - (ben_tilly)
                                 Yeah - I changed my mind. - (static)
         Explain yourself Miguel, demands RMS - (bluke)
         But that is not a bad thing, it is a good thing! - (nking) - (8)
             *sigh* - (ben_tilly)
             It is a very bad thing - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 My opinion of Miguel is continuing downwards - (tonytib)
                 Take heart - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     That is heartening. - (static) - (2)
                         Miguel may just need to stir the pot occasionally. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Is that stirring the pot, or whacking the nest? - (wharris2)
             GNOME on OS/2. - (Another Scott)

The telltale breath with sen-sen.
75 ms