IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What if he simply sees technical merit?
After reading stuff about Mono in Dr. Dobbs, I have another version of Miguel's motivation. I am scared to death to say so, but looks like MS got things right in .NET platform this time around. Remember how Java started? Sun introduced VM and sandbox, with the emphasis on traveling code (applets). Turn out, nobody wants traveling code that badly. What people wanted was RPC, more or less. Then Sun tacked RMI on to it. And then Java Beans appeared. And Java Beans Enterprize Edition.. And so on.

Now, MS started right where Sun dropped the ball. Fine, they have sandbox and mobile code. But the whole model is built around interoperation. It is done first and foremost to allow for function calls between pieces written in different languages, running in different address spaces, on different machines, and even in different component architectres.

If I understand him right, Miguel saw this aspect of .NET - a better Java than Java - and he decided to use it for Gnome. It's not their class libraries for, say, database access. It's the VM that makes inter-language and inter-process and inter-computer communications simple. That can hardly be patented. And that's what Gnome will be based on.

New The "techie trap" is always . . .
. . to see the technical issues and not see the political and business issues, or regard them as irrelevent. That's why so many companies with superior technology fail, and why Microsoft is so powerful. To Microsoft, technology issues are simply supporting players to business and politics.

Using C# is one thing, with limited risk, but de Icaza said ".NET", and that's something else entirely.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I don't care
He has been told, repeatedly, exactly what the trap is. Going for technical merits while ignoring the huge legal and business traps is like the mouse who says, "I know, I know, but doesn't that cheese smell good?"

It could be the best design in creation, but that doesn't change that for an open source company to support it on Linux is handing the headsman the axe after making sure it is good and sharp.

Cheers,
Ben
New and I'll still rather skeptical of its technical merits
     GNOME to be based on .NET? - (pwhysall) - (27)
         He does have the power to hose GNOME - (ben_tilly) - (16)
             Agreed - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
                 You forget one thing - (pwhysall) - (14)
                     Incomplete ECMA - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Don't get me wrong - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             But they need hold only one . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Don't be so confident - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                         Well, here's a guy on Linux Today . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                             Sounds reasonable to me - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 What if he simply sees technical merit? - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                     The "techie trap" is always . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     I don't care - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         and I'll still rather skeptical of its technical merits -NT - (tonytib)
                         My thoughts. - (static) - (3)
                             Lose control? - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 Your list missed an important item - (ben_tilly)
                                 Yeah - I changed my mind. - (static)
         Explain yourself Miguel, demands RMS - (bluke)
         But that is not a bad thing, it is a good thing! - (nking) - (8)
             *sigh* - (ben_tilly)
             It is a very bad thing - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                 My opinion of Miguel is continuing downwards - (tonytib)
                 Take heart - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     That is heartening. - (static) - (2)
                         Miguel may just need to stir the pot occasionally. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Is that stirring the pot, or whacking the nest? - (wharris2)
             GNOME on OS/2. - (Another Scott)

I have a horse!
68 ms