IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: You misunderstand, I think
I took your post seriously and went back to the BBC site

quote:

In The God Delusion, the scientist Richard Dawkins sets out to attack God "in all his forms".

quote:

Of course, irritated theologians will protest that we don't take the book of Genesis literally any more. But that is my whole point! We pick and choose which bits of scripture to believe, which bits to write off as symbols or allegories.

The present day athiest argument leaves no room for liberals or moderates (see the writings of Sam Harris for another example)
Either you support 'science' or you're sunk in 'ignorance'

This strikes me as an arrogant attitude and probably 100% science-free

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Salon interview
Dawkins' latest book turns to his more recent passions. In "The God Delusion," Dawkins fulminates against religious moderates as well as fundamentalists. He argues that the existence of God is itself a scientific conjecture, one that doesn't hold up to the evidence. And he dismisses the entire discipline of theology: "I have yet to see any good reason to suppose that theology (as opposed to biblical history, literature, etc.) is a subject at all."

[link|http://salon.com/books/int/2006/10/13/dawkins/|Link]
-----------------------------------------
Worst President ever.
New Fundamentalists of all stripes brook no argument
take no prisoners, and if yer aint fer 'em yer agin' 'em.

The anti-god fundies, for example, would prefer to brand anyone who claims a spiritual experience as mentally defective, or corrupt - while the pro-god fundies brand anyone that argues against THEM as morally defective, or corrupt.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Re: Fundamentalists of all stripes brook no argument
Indeed, the militant a-Theist pretends to Gnosticism; becomes equally, the bastard son of Certainty.

As to the 'spiritual' -- undemonstrable as any such an experience would be, beyond the experiencer's jelloware: I note that most non-fulminating assessments of corporate theology (ie. of all organized groups with fav manuals, hierarchy, garb and rituals) - tend to point out that there are many churchly habits that militate against ever experiencing the spiritual - in favor of the adsorption of the Authoritative.

Allegiance to the org. substitutes for experience of the [__].
Only homo-sap could contrive a Living Oxymoron!

No wonder.. it is so rare when anything potentially useful ever gets said, in the usual clashes within the World of Opposites '..as ignorant armies clash by night.'

(At least the ~'agnostic' never pretends to Certainty: a concept which may be prominent on the epitaph of the radioactive ruins, if a dying stonemason has the energy to chisel anything much, after RIP.)

Fortunately, too: it's all in our minds and has nothing much to do with Reality, as in {whew!} :-)
What is liberal or moderate about believing in the existence of an omnipotent being which transcends all known laws of physics?

Arrogant, my arse. It's the only sane viewpoint to take.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
New is there life on other planets?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Of course.
As evidence, see Marlowe.
-----------------------------------------
Worst President ever.
Well doesn't physics transcend the laws of physics or was Godel wrong

A

PS the Dawkins interview at Salon exposes him thouroughly through his own words
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New from string theory to the flying spaghetti monster
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
     NOW: Sci. Fri. - Richard Dawkins, book: 'The God Delusion' - (Ashton) - (45)
         Some extracts on the BBC site - (scoenye) - (39)
             Amen to that! - (a6l6e6x) - (21)
                 Phooey - (andread) - (20)
                     Aw, did ver nasty nasty scientist touch a nerve? - (pwhysall) - (18)
                         Re: Aw, did ver nasty nasty scientist touch a nerve? - (andread) - (17)
                             So what's your point? -NT - (pwhysall) - (16)
                                 Re: So what's your point? - (andread) - (15)
                                     Re: So what's your point? - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                         Re: So what's your point? - (andread) - (13)
                                             Re: So what's your point? - (pwhysall) - (12)
                                                 Oh, really? - (andread) - (11)
                                                     You misunderstand, I think - (rcareaga) - (10)
                                                         {sigh} - (Ashton)
                                                         Re: You misunderstand, I think - (andread) - (8)
                                                             Salon interview - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                 Fundamentalists of all stripes brook no argument - (imric) - (1)
                                                                     Re: Fundamentalists of all stripes brook no argument - (Ashton)
                                                             Re: You misunderstand, I think - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                                 is there life on other planets? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                     Of course. - (Silverlock)
                                                                 Re: You misunderstand, I think - (andread) - (1)
                                                                     from string theory to the flying spaghetti monster -NT - (boxley)
                     Different strokes for different folks. - (a6l6e6x)
             a tad strident dont you think? bizzaro foulwell -NT - (boxley) - (16)
                 Not at all - (scoenye) - (15)
                     What makes you think we care about ID? - (boxley) - (14)
                         uhm, ID in this context is acronym for 'Intelligent Design' -NT - (Steve Lowe)
                         Intelligent Design, Bill. - (pwhysall) - (12)
                             whoops, /switch_rant ID is not an American Export - (boxley) - (11)
                                 You believe some silly shit, you really do. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                 Unfortunately, it is - (scoenye) - (9)
                                     The price of freedom is eternal vigilance - T. Jefferson. - (Another Scott)
                                     hey, post the other stuff. I can read most euro/latin - (boxley) - (2)
                                         Here are some - (scoenye) - (1)
                                             evolution is a theory, well founded in research - (boxley)
                                     Be careful, they're changing the name again - (drewk) - (4)
                                         It was a US District Court ruling that you're thinking of? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                             Might have been that one - (drewk)
                                             Let's boil that down to the root words: - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                                 And you're not even talking about lawyers, either! -NT - (jb4)
         Dawkins was on Colbert Report 10/18/2006. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Very good - (crazy)
             He's touring US - was on another brief NPR interview today. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 His on the road blog is pretty interesting. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     'Liberty' U review: priceless! - (Ashton)

That was never five minutes!
99 ms