IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You're shooting the messenger.
It's a type of argument called [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem|ad hominem]. You're attacking Wafa's right to criticize rather than the opinion she puts forth.

I think most of us in the West believe that everyone should be able to express their opinions about anything and the strength of the argument determines the 'victor in the battle of ideas'. Peaceniks who have never been in the military can criticize the Pentagon and the war. Mothers can criticize the nuclear power industry. Everyone can criticize the schools. And atheists can criticize Islam, Catholicism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. If only "experts" can criticize something, then society breaks down. Instead of a society based on consensus of the governed, you'd end up with a small dictatorial elite deciding orthodoxy. I don't ever want to see that. I also don't want to ever live in a society where people are killed or threatened with death for their criticism.

Your closing reminded me of a story I heard on the radio about inshallah. I can't find a link, but [link|http://strengthandhonor.typepad.com/captaink/2005/09/fighting_gods_w.html|this] covers the topic pretty well. "God willing" is a rare expression here. We have a tradition that "God helps those who help themselves". :-)

Salaam.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Oh, and speaking of "God's Will" (new thread)
Created as new thread #247991 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=247991|Oh, and speaking of "God's Will"]
     Dr. Wafa Sultan stands up for reason on Al Jazerra - (Another Scott) - (12)
         Courageous lady! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             And the fundie right-wing whackjobs as well - (jb4)
         Round 2 - (systems) - (8)
             You're shooting the messenger. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Oh, and speaking of "God's Will" (new thread) - (Another Scott)
             Be careful. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 The women is a flamer - (systems) - (1)
                     Re: The women is a flamer - (pwhysall)
             Personally I dont think Islam itself is the problem - (boxley) - (1)
                 The problem with Islam (and Judaism) - (Arkadiy)
             And Islam is still searching for the concept of a paragraph. - (ChrisR)
         Los Angles Times article - (Andrew Grygus)

It’s always projection with these guys.
38 ms